PDA

View Full Version : Conservatory

liz252
22-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi there, not sure if this has been covered before, but our conservatory is finally finished & used purely as a playroom - woo hoo! Do I need to tell Ofsted about the new room or if I'm satisfied that it's safe & secure (it is!) then is that enough. I'd rather not contact them if I dont have to :)

Thanks people, Liz x

FizzysFriends
22-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I have no idea, but would guess that you would have to tell them as they keep a record of rooms registered.

Hebs
22-02-2009, 04:07 PM
sorry but you have to contact them before it's used for minding

they might want to come out to inspect it :D

sarah707
22-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello and welcome! :D

You cannot allow any children in your conservatory until it has been approved in writing by Ofsted.

You should have already informed them that you are having it built as it is a statutory requirement to tell them about any work happening on your house. So now it is just a matter of sorting out your paperwork to send them.

You will need - a full risk assessment of the conservatory including how you intend to keep children safe in there and a new fire escape plan showing how you can get children out of the house through the room in an emergency...

It might also be useful to send them some photos of your new conservatory as they might approve it without coming out to see you, but every case if different and they might want to visit.

When I went through this process it took 3 / 4 weeks to get written approval because they kept losing my paperwork so be patient.

I would advise against putting any toys etc into the conservatory until you get the permission to use it or you will drive yourself potty!

Oh and don't forget to inform your insurance company once Ofsted have given you the go-ahead.

Hope this helps! :D

Daftbat
22-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Contact them with a full risk assessment for it and they won't come out to you. I did that for a complete extension to my house and it was fine. So long as you are demonstrating that you are thinking of the childrens safety they will be ok about it. If you are solely using it for work and can prove it then don't forget to put the costings through your books for tax. Not ure how much you can put through but worth checking. I am sure someone else here knows the answer:thumbsup:

Hebs
22-02-2009, 04:18 PM
i think it's hard to claim the cost of the conservatory, as it becomes a business asset :panic:

Daftbat
22-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Contact them with a full risk assessment for it and they won't come out to you. I did that for a complete extension to my house and it was fine. So long as you are demonstrating that you are thinking of the childrens safety they will be ok about it. If you are solely using it for work and can prove it then don't forget to put the costings through your books for tax. Not ure how much you can put through but worth checking. I am sure someone else here knows the answer:thumbsup:

Just want to add to this after reading sarah's post. I notified Ofsted of the start date for te extension and advised the risk assessments which had been done and the agreements which had been put in place with the builder which were adhered to whilst the build took place which lasted about six months. After completion i was convincesd they would have to come and do a premises check. However, having had a discussion with an ex Ofsted inspector i wrote after completion with my risk assessment attached. I never heard a thing about it - no letters etc. Had my inspection two days ago and it never came up there either. I therefore think that so long as you notify Oftsed of the conservatory and complete a risk assessment for it you would be fine to use it for minding.

sarah707
22-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Liz, Penny and I have been talking and it is clear that there are regional differences...

Unfortunately this happens a lot :rolleyes:

We suggest you contact Ofsted and take their advice.

08456 404040 or enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

donnadoo2004200
22-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Goodluck:)

Angela234
22-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I had to write to them and sent a risk assessment they sent a letter back a week later saying i could use it for minding i was due for an inspection they came about 6 months after.

If you write a say you were hoping to use it asap as i did hopefully they will get back to you quickly

Angela

flora
23-02-2009, 08:47 AM
just shows how inconsistent ofsted are........

i just rang them and said i wanted to add the loo and conservatory, they were fine, no visit no nothing :eek:

i would take pic etc and your ra and hope that that is enough :thumbsup:

liz252
24-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, really pleased .....

I shall try & call Ofsted today & see what they say but a risk assessment is a good idea as well. I'm due an inspection this time next year so they may even leave it till then :)

Cheers, Liz x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
24-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi

I wa told by our early years team that as long as you inform them and send some photos in that is fine and she said I could still use the room I didn't have to wait to get the ok from Ofsted.

liz252
25-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Right, just called Ofsted. She said that a risk assessment would be needed to send to my regional Ofsted (which is in Nottingham) for them to make note on their files. She said once I felt the ra was ok then kids could start using it because I would have demonstrated how safe etc it is. They'll make note of it at their end.

Which means, I dont suppose anyone has a risk assessment template I could have a look at please?! Haven't done one yet although I really shoudl get my act together & start doing some ..... :)

Ta very much, Liz x