PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

crazybones
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I am considering removing my fixed fire guard and replacing it with a small freestanding one. The fire is NEVER used (the smell of dust would be horrendous if I even tried now) and all I seem to be doing is retrieving things constantly that have fallen or been posted through the gaps. I have to replace it anyway because it is getting bent and twisted from all the leaning over it to get stuff. What do you think? Would Ofsted go for this?

Annie x

miffy
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a gas fire in my lounge which I never use.

I do not have a fireguard and haven't had one for a number of years.

I usually put toy boxes in front of the fire so the children can't get to it

Ofsted have never mentioned it - I think it must be in my records somewhere that it isn't used

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
When I was inspected I told her that although I have a fireguard it is not fixed to the wall due to the fire place.

Also told her the fire was never used when mindees are here anyway, she seemed fine with this.

Only thing with a free standing guard, is there a possibility of children pulling it on top of them?

Carol xx

deeb66
01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Only thing with a free standing guard, is there a possibility of children pulling it on top of them?

Carol xx

That would be my only concern too.

crazybones
01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
When I was inspected I told her that although I have a fireguard it is not fixed to the wall due to the fire place.

Also told her the fire was never used when mindees are here anyway, she seemed fine with this.

Carol xx

Yes they try to pull eveything else. Just rescued a Nintendo DS that had not been put away B4 school and gone behind a cushion. Much screaming and foot stamping going on. Am ignoring it as it is my own son:rolleyes:

Annie

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I have never used a fireguard in all my years of minding my fire is never used

I have always explained that the fire is never used - children are still encouraged to keep away from it though so they are aware of dangers

I have never even owned a fireguard

Angel xx

sarah707
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I have one because my fireplace is made of slate and stone and protrudes into the room - ex-dh's idea of a 'feature' :rolleyes:

I think you have to prove how you keep children safe though - rather than in the days of social services when it was mandatory to have one... so as long as you can show you teach children about safety, don't use the fire when minding, keep it clean etc... then you should be ok.

I wouldn't use anything they can wobble, move or pull over though - it will be like a magnet! :eek:

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I have had Ofsted out and seen that I do not use it they are fine

If you show that you are aware of the dangers it is like anything else in your home

Angel xx

crazybones
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll stick the husband in front of it - he is unmovable in lots of ways;)

Annie x

Rubybubbles
01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I've got a really crappy gas fire, which when I had my first gas inpection I got the man to diconnect the element that turns the 'front' on. Ofsted never meantioned my fire come to think of it, I would have no room if I did have a fire guard my lounge area is sooooooooooooooooo small:(

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
As you remember my inspector was not the pleasantist of people and even had me in tears. I have a free standing fire guard and she asked me the question of is it safe to have free standing guard would they pull it over and hurt themselves to which my reply was, my children have never done it and no not to touch it and the children will never be unsupervised in here, she said yes but the children you mind for will not be your own and might not do as they were told etc etc etc ........ she had a ****** answer for everything and really upset me, I said bluntly well if i have to start screwing things to my walls etc then i would stop minding as it was our home too, she said we'll have to see then wont we ?????????????

BIT** with a capital B

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I remember that story Susan what an idiot she was

xx

crazybones
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
As you remember my inspector was not the pleasantist of people and even had me in tears. I have a free standing fire guard and she asked me the question of is it safe to have free standing guard would they pull it over and hurt themselves to which my reply was, my children have never done it and no not to touch it and the children will never be unsupervised in here, she said yes but the children you mind for will not be your own and might not do as they were told etc etc etc ........ she had a ****** answer for everything and really upset me, I said bluntly well if i have to start screwing things to my walls etc then i would stop minding as it was our home too, she said we'll have to see then wont we ?????????????

BIT** with a capital B

OMG Total :censored:

I'd shove her in the fire and turn it on smelly dust or not.:angry:

Annie x