PDA

View Full Version : Resources that reflect Diversity

louloudi
21-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Not sure if I've posted in the correct place but

I have done an audit of my resources and have just thought I've nothing to reflect diversity? I get the impression that this is a biggy with ofsted after reading others posts:eek:
What are the basics, are we talking of pictures of girls and boys, mexican dolls etc...????
I also don't really have the income to go out and buy loads of different toys!!!
Any ideas please:)

sarah707
21-02-2009, 06:04 PM
You don't have to spend loads of money... keep an eye out at car boot sales and in charity shops.

Simple things like a length of material for a sari or a wok in your cooking box...

There are lots of ideas on this thread too! :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41&highlight=multicultural

Shar
21-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Dolls with different skin tones, dressing up clothes, happyland figures, little people playsets including wheelchairs, play food and utensils from around the world, books about different cultures, religions, etc.... Look out at the car boot sales and on ebay, you can get lots of things at bargain prices.

miss mopple
21-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Among my stuff I have:

Books ( eg: Mama Zooms, Susan Laughs, Rainbow Joe and Me, Topsy and Tim to name a few. I have loads!). The library is a great resource for this :thumbsup:
Block people, coloured and disabilty ones
Paper dolls (www.makingfriends.com)
Wheelchair for dolls (from the bear factory)
Craft stuff-chinese new yr book marks and cards, diwali stuff etc- Baker Ross is good for this)
A box of pictures that I have printed from the internet for discussion
Posters on display ( have a great alphabet one that shows a huge range of diversity that I downloaded from somewhere, not sure where but someone else may know)
Play food from different cultures
CD's withsongs from around the world
Salma and Friends road safety pack with stories and audion cd
Games printed from the internet, special needs dominoes etc
Puzzles
A scrap book showing positive images (female firefighters, dads caring for kids etc)
Colouring sheets
Happy Land toys
Dolls
Little People
Dressing up (sari fabric, chinese and indian outfits)

Sure there is loads more but my brains gone blank!

Ive collected it all over 6 years or so and am constantly adding to it. I recommend ebay, charity shops and car boots :thumbsup:

tulip0803
21-02-2009, 06:57 PM
As the others said bootfairs, charity shops, Freecycle.org, sales, library.

My first OFSTED inspection she picked up on a library book that I hadn't even noticed was multi-cultural.

The Little People school bus has multicultural people & a wheelchair

There is a series of books called All kinds of ..... which are multicultural, discuss diversity & difference in people.

Peopl on here will put up any bargains they find someone the other day put up Susan laughs at £2 delivered http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10151_18251_87172_100_63630_63630_category _ this is a story of a little girl doing ordinary things and at the end you find out she has a wheel-chair.

Dolls - baby, barbie, rag, etc etc

You just have to keep an eye out where-ever you go. It becomes easy after a while.

If you have a toy library near you they may have some things that you could borrow.:D

Bananabrain
21-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I've found charity shops fantastic,got loads of brand new books for as little as 10p.Also got an asian Barbie type doll and another dark skinned doll for pence. I didn't have much money when I started and panicked because I thought we were supposed to have huge amounts of stuff straight away.

I've built up loads over 18 months, Don't panic, I don't think they expect you to have a full complement immediately{even Ofsted have to understand minders don't have loads of cash}

Last week, I finally ordered some skin toned crayons.Got them from educational supplies website and I think they were just over a pound{you do have to add p and p though}.

tammerisk
21-02-2009, 08:15 PM
do you have a local toy libaray or county toy libaray they general have and 'ofsted kit' of toy that reflec diversity try downloading some poster and putting them up to

if you have a local sure start center that you may be friendley with (i am with mine very friendly) you could ask them if they wouldn't mind lending you some stuff for your inspection i asked mine if they had anything to do with chinese new year and they had a whole box of stuff which they lent me

helenlc
21-02-2009, 09:26 PM
As the others said bootfairs, charity shops, Freecycle.org, sales, library.

My first OFSTED inspection she picked up on a library book that I hadn't even noticed was multi-cultural.

The Little People school bus has multicultural people & a wheelchair

There is a series of books called All kinds of ..... which are multicultural, discuss diversity & difference in people.

Peopl on here will put up any bargains they find someone the other day put up Susan laughs at £2 delivered http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10151_18251_87172_100_63630_63630_category _ this is a story of a little girl doing ordinary things and at the end you find out she has a wheel-chair.

Dolls - baby, barbie, rag, etc etc

You just have to keep an eye out where-ever you go. It becomes easy after a while.

If you have a toy library near you they may have some things that you could borrow.:D

I picked up a book once that was called Are we there yet? I got it as a joke for my Dad cos we always used to say it when we set off in the car. But when I got home and looked inside, the dad in the story was in a wheelchair - so I kept it to show diversity!! Lol

I have Little People sets, I got the ethnic family for my ELC dolls house.

As people have said, charity shops and boot fairs are good ones.

If all else fails, do the paper dolls, as someone mentioned before.

You will probably find that if you look through what you already have, there will be bits in there that you just havent seen before.

Sparklebox do a nice 1-10 counting frieze to print off that has children with different skin tones on the pictures.

louloudi
22-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all these ideas:D

I'm gonnahave a root on the internet and find pics, books etc and take a peek round the charity shops

Allie
22-02-2009, 12:35 PM
If you still feel you wont have enough stuff when Ofsted come make a wish list and show them the sort of things you will be adding as you can afford it

Allie