PDA

View Full Version : I've packed it in :(

kitty
21-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Just wanted to say a very big thank you to you all for helping me over the last yr & half. I've been childminding now since Aug '07 and a couple of weeks ago took on another mindee so was finally working every day.

However, my husband has been finding it really difficult having the other kids here along with our 3. He is up at 4am to go to work and by the time he gets in at 3pm really just wants some peace & quiet and to spend some time with our girls, he hasn't been able to do it.

So I decided last week to pack it in. Fortunately my long term mindees mum has said that she doesn't mind me not doing the 4wks notice and she is packing up work in a weeks time as she is pregnant (didn't know until I called though), so I suspect she was going to cancel the contract anyway. Must admit, I was feeling really gutted, but over the last few days have been alot more relaxed and enjoying my girls again.

Just wanted to ask one more question before I disappear if that's ok? I'd like to eventually work in a nursery setting (private or preschool). I know that I need NVQ qualifications. What's the best way to go about this, I can't spend alot of time in college, can I do it from home. Also, would there be any funding available and if so where do I start asking????? Many many thanks to you all once again.
Good luck to all you wonderful minders,

Kitty
xxxxxxxx

sue m
21-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Kitty,

Sorry, don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say good luck for the future, you don't have to disappear, you can pop in and say hi. Glad you feel more relaxed and are enjoying your own girls again. :)

Spangles
21-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry I can't help with your questions about qualifications etc but just wanted to say good on you for making this decision and I hope everything goes well for you.

x

sue m
21-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Lorri, how are you? Still feeling very sick? I hope not.

Sue x

Spangles
21-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I will pm you Sue

x

geraldine72
21-02-2009, 04:35 PM
that's a shame you quit but this job does invade your whole life and your families. i did my svq (scottish equivalent)in childcare at night. this was 3 nights per week and you need to do placement work at nursery this averages about 1 day a week in first year and 2 in second it's alot of time but worth it in end. it's not hard just time consuming i had 3 kids under 10 when i did it and ended up working in a nursery the second year instead of just doing placement. hope this helps
geraldine:clapping:

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to you all for helping me over the last yr & half. I've been childminding now since Aug '07 and a couple of weeks ago took on another mindee so was finally working every day.

However, my husband has been finding it really difficult having the other kids here along with our 3. He is up at 4am to go to work and by the time he gets in at 3pm really just wants some peace & quiet and to spend some time with our girls, he hasn't been able to do it.

So I decided last week to pack it in. Fortunately my long term mindees mum has said that she doesn't mind me not doing the 4wks notice and she is packing up work in a weeks time as she is pregnant (didn't know until I called though), so I suspect she was going to cancel the contract anyway. Must admit, I was feeling really gutted, but over the last few days have been alot more relaxed and enjoying my girls again.

Just wanted to ask one more question before I disappear if that's ok? I'd like to eventually work in a nursery setting (private or preschool). I know that I need NVQ qualifications. What's the best way to go about this, I can't spend alot of time in college, can I do it from home. Also, would there be any funding available and if so where do I start asking????? Many many thanks to you all once again.
Good luck to all you wonderful minders,

Kitty
xxxxxxxx

Chanelle
21-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Aww that is a real shame you have to finish but you will have lots of quality time with your children :)

I work in a nursery which is privately owned. I did my training a long time ago now but I think I may have some answers for you... I just hope they are right lol

The NVQ or CACHE course is run by your local training centre/collage . It is normally a work based course which you can do by either full time work and training alongside your hours and attending collage evenings, or you can work full time at collage and do Inset or Work experience at local preschools, schools and nurseries as you train. I am not sure about costs but if you ask at the collage they should be able to give you prices.

Your best bet is to contact your local collage as ours in northampton have just had a open evening and see when yours is. The evenings give information about the courses that will be starting the next term or you may well have to wait until September. Best thing is to give them a ring and they may set up an interview with you to discuss the options

Hope this helps and I appoligise now if I have given you wrong info ... :blush:

Good Luck and let us know what they say :)

Pauline
21-02-2009, 04:53 PM
It's good that you have been able to make a decision Kitty and all the best for the future but please don't leave us - pop in from time to time and let us know how you are getting on. :)

As regards NVQ yes you can do it mainly from home and yes there is funding available, best place to contact would be your local Families Information Service, if they can't help they should be able to point you in the righ direction.

You could always come back here and join the NVQ discussion area and get help :thumbsup:

cher25
21-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Good luck for the future. :)

miffy
21-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Just wanted to wish you all the best with your nvq

Miffy xx

helenlc
21-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Good luck for the future

nannysue
21-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to wish you all the best for the future x

sarah707
21-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I hope that whatever you do in the future brings you joy.

Don't be a stranger xx

Shar
21-02-2009, 05:51 PM
You should get funding for NVQ3 as long as you keep your registration or get a job with a nursery. I went to college every Monday 6-9pm for two years and had regular assessments by my tutor at home or in drop-in's. Most of the work is self reflective so you have to be working whilst doing it. Good luck:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cherry
21-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Just wanted to wish you all the best for the future :thumbsup:

mrs c
21-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Good Luck for the future :thumbsup:

marion123
21-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Good Luck for the future and good luck with the nvq hope everything goes well for you :)

huggableshelly
21-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I understand where oyu are coming from as my Hubby works shifts, he has days off in the wk and feels he cant do anything due to my working hours.

Good Luck with your new venture and you dont have to leave :D

Carol
21-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Good look for the future xxxx

Carol

peanuts
21-02-2009, 08:46 PM
good luck with whatever you do in the future. i would contact early years department and ask about nvq courses

jibberjitz
22-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to wish you look in your future career :thumbsup: You could check out your local colleges to see what NVQ's they run or ask to speak to their careers advisor

beerheaven
22-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Sounds like you have made the right decision for you and your family.
Just wanted to wish you all the best for the future - whatever you decide to do!

angeldelight
23-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Good luck with whatever you do in the future

Stay in touch with us lot though

Angel xx