PDA

View Full Version : Disheartened childminder

elainerut
20-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Im really getting disheartened now ive been registered for six months now, had a few enquires but nothing concrete, ive advertised everywhere, i dont no what to do next

please help:(

cher25
20-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I was registered for 4 month's before getting 1 enquiry, which i had to turn down due to having whiplash. Then had no more for 3 month's. Finally got my 1st mindee, after school only. No enquries for months then had a few all at the same time.
Try not to let it get you down, i know it's easier said than done but hopefully thing's will start to pick up soon. :)

Twinkles
20-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Please don't be disheartened. It can sometimes take a few months to get your business off the ground.
Where have you advertised ?
Have a look around this site for some good ideas on how to advertise your services.
If money is becoming an issue why not take on a part time job until things pick up for your minding.
Good luck hun.

amirose
20-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Totally emphasise, I have been advertising since the beginning of this year and have one after schooler for 6 hours a week term time only :(
Everyone keeps trying to reassure me it will happen but I have already started to think (as you must be) I might have to do something else, which is not what I want.
I have delivered 400 leaflets, built a website, advertised everywhere online, emailed all my local childminders (and would you believe not one replied :panic: ), joined facebook as a childminder, emailed my local children's centre manager with my information and nothing :( then I read that thread on netmums and think yer great, that helps.
I haven't given up yet me and my family are aiming to deliver another 800leaflets this weekend, I am giving it another couple of months and then I am going to be forced to rethink

amirose
20-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I was registered for 4 month's before getting 1 enquiry, which i had to turn down due to having whiplash. Then had no more for 3 month's. Finally got my 1st mindee, after school only. No enquries for months then had a few all at the same time.
Try not to let it get you down, i know it's easier said than done but hopefully thing's will start to pick up soon. :)

I just wanted to ask, do you have your own children as well or was your after schooler for those months the only child? I do not have any children of my own and I'm finding it hard work because she is treating me like another toy :panic: I am hoping when/if there's another child to play with she will ease up on me!

mumrin
20-02-2009, 07:09 PM
This is one thing I'm slightly worried about when I become registered.

I have got one of those magnetic door signs for the car off vista print for free - Just p&p so I'm going to use that. I have also had the ok off my sons head to put a poster in the early years unit and in Reception. Then I'm just going to give my friends and family posters leaflet to leave where ever they go (which is local of course) to try and drum up some business.

I have a friend who is a childminder so I've told her to send some my way :laughing:

I hope you get a mindee soon

tammys-tots
20-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Im really getting disheartened now ive been registered for six months now, had a few enquires but nothing concrete, ive advertised everywhere, i dont no what to do next

please help:(

Hi it took me about a year to get any work, dont give up just yet, it will just take time, then you will get parents recommending you
Tammy

mandy moo
20-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok here a few things Ive thought of..
dont know if you live in town or a village but how about notices in all your local shops, parent and toddler groups,
pre schools, private and state nurserys, door to door leaflet drop near the schools, doctors surgerys,
stick a leaflet on your local bus stop routes,
leaflet in your/relatives/friends front room window (dont say its you) if your front room is right on the street, coz people are nosy and will be looking in your window:)
like I said just a few thoughts:)

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Good advice from the others

Hope something comes along for you soon

Keep your chin up

Good luck

Angel xx

tigger
20-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I found that alot of work was based for me around school starting times and school holidays. Don't give up hope. Go to childminder drop ins or if your friends are childminders let them know you have vacancies. Let the CIS know you have vacancies and also let them know you are prepared to do emergency childcare aswell, it doesn't hurt. I've had an emergency childcare placement turn into a mindee on a full contract. I know that things out there have been slowing down and I know how frustrating it can be, but once you have that phonecall you tend to get a few in a row and then it can go quite for a bit and then it picks up again. Don't give up and keep positive.

Lady Haha
22-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I've been minding for almost two years and it' taken me this long to fill all my places. I was lucky that when I started I had one 'lined up' and then another one joined a few months later, but then that was it for ages and ages and ages! I advertised in shop windows, libraries, on the CIS and put an advert the back window of my car. Finally, I got a load of brochures done free on Vista print and delivered them to nurseries close to the school I pick up from (including a letter for nursery manager that I was only interested in children that were leaving to go to school, not her little ones!) and within a week I had four enquiries, two of which are now customers. One customer told me she was really really impressed by how professional the brochure looked, so that was a good idea! So, if you say you are only looking for children leavingthe nursery, then they are brilliant places to advertise!

Dont give up hope! I am now having to turn business away because I just can't fit any more in!

cher25
22-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to ask, do you have your own children as well or was your after schooler for those months the only child? I do not have any children of my own and I'm finding it hard work because she is treating me like another toy :panic: I am hoping when/if there's another child to play with she will ease up on me!

I have no children of my own yet. She was very bored and constantly needing amused. But now there are other children here she seems happy to have the half hour peace she get's when they leave.lol

amirose
23-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I have no children of my own yet. She was very bored and constantly needing amused. But now there are other children here she seems happy to have the half hour peace she get's when they leave.lol

Ha thats great to know :laughing:
Shes only 5 as well bless her, right now I am on an absolute mission to get more enquiries I have delivered over a 1000 leaflets this weekend :thumbsup:

yummymummy
23-02-2009, 10:45 AM
It is hard not to get disheartened and of course the waiting time depends on how much you need an income. The area I live in is extremely difficult for childminders to fill their vacancies but other parts of the area, near to a train link are easier. From reading posts on here childminders in some parts of the country are really busy, could you go to your local FIS and ask them what the work situation is like in your area etc and ask if there are any schemes such as NHS workers lists that you could go on. It is a shame when new childminders find it difficult to fill their vacancies as after all the hard work to get registered it is so disappointing.

snowqueen
23-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I gave in my registration now i regret it , i know have to redo the course! Just get a part time job in between.Do not give in your registration!!!:)