PDA

View Full Version : what people think of childminders

tammerisk
20-02-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/children-parenting-521/children-parenting-190/toddlers-pre-schoolers-12-months-4-years-59/257841-horrible-childminder.html

not sure if this link will work as you might have to be registered with the site to see post

but it give you a good idea of what people really think of childminder

please let me know if it works

Jules27
20-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Interesting reading, at least some on there are sticking up for childminders in general. It is sad that we all can get tared with the same brush when something like this incident happens. :mad:

venus89
20-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I found that interesting - there did seem to be a lot of people sticking up for us and the points against were valid. We're very vulnerable and all childminders are not necessarily good, caring people, as the majority are. The childminder in question was awful but it's heartening that people still generally think we do a good job. Even that some recognise that we do much, much more than just look after kids.

louni
20-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Well I have to admit I did get cross at first when reading this, then calmed when the support started pouring in. The bottom line is, no matter what,unfortunately, you will never change some peoples opinions of us and the ones that have the bad opinions are most likely to be the ones who have no first hand experience of childminders.
Louise
xxx

Pudding Girl
20-02-2009, 05:21 PM
My mates are fab :) ( the ones sticking up for us!!)

There's another that riled me earlier, about Annual Leave. I tred to stay professional, but ended up letting rip :rolleyes:

I'm sick of the stick we get.

ETA - Ooops, I always get dragged in when i didn't intend too! :rolleyes:

amirose
20-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow thats hard to read

CCJD
20-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow - that has really brought me down. As above, how hard is that to read. I know that there were some posts in support of childminders but it still didnt make it easier.

I have been childminding for around 10 years now and I must say that I have never felt anything but undervalued in my job. The parents of the children in my care have always been fantastic and cannot say nicer or complementary things to me or about me but generally society does not place us high up the list in valued jobs and as a result a few bad ones give us all a bad name.

Previous to childminding I worked in a bank and the reaction I used to get when people would say to me "what do you do" and I would respond I am an assistant bank manager was so different to the one I get my now reply is that I am a childminder. For some reason people think it a more important job is to look after peoples money than it is to look after a far more valuable thing (ie chidlren) .

If there was one thing that would make me give childminding up, it would be that I wanted to do something where my importance wasnt in the same category as a cleaner. And that people didnt make very wrong assumptions about what I do.

Tatia
20-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't envy parents the decision they have to make when going back to work. Just imagine choosing a stranger based on one or 2 meetings with him/her and then leaving your baby with them? It must be awful. I was glad that most everyone in that thread stuck up for childminders in general, though.

FizzysFriends
20-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I find that site is always slating childminders and they egg each other on!!

Twinkles
20-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Well that was interesting !
I have worked in nurseries and as a nanny before I became a childminder so have experience of several settings.

If I was choosing childcare for one of mine now ( not that I would as youngest is 14 :laughing: ) I would choose a childminder every time. BUT I would choose very carefully.

Sad to say that some nurseries I worked in were like boarding kennels - baby fed , baby clean , put with toys , ignore baby.

All of my friends who are childminders are wonderful caring people who engage with the children encourage them in their next steps and developments and love them.

Now don't all shout at me but there are also some childminders that I know that I wouldn't trust with my dog.

Blaze
20-02-2009, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE Now don't all shout at me but there are also some childminders that I know that I wouldn't trust with my dog.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree with this comment...but i would't trust the local nursaries either!

Jules12Wed
20-02-2009, 07:40 PM
That was horrible to read, but who I really feel sorry for is the poor little boy and the parents who obviously have no idea what is going on when they are at work.

mandy moo
20-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I have worked in nurseries and as a nanny before I became a childminder so have experience of several settings.
If I was choosing childcare for one of mine now ( not that I would as youngest is 14 :laughing: ) I would choose a childminder every time. BUT I would choose very carefully.

Sad to say that some nurseries I worked in were like boarding kennels - baby fed , baby clean , put with toys , ignore baby.

All of my friends who are childminders are wonderful caring people who engage with the children encourage them in their next steps and developments and love them.

Now don't all shout at me but there are also some childminders that I know that I wouldn't trust with my dog.

Me too, I also helped run a mother and toddler group, and ran a youth club for a few years
I have also used a childminder..
And I have 2 of my own..
When I was 17 I went on a Child care course with the YTS, and Im NNEB trained, I was also a school gov, and worked as an LSA in my local school
so have bit of experiance..
I must admit I found it difficult to comprehend that any one would leave a child for that long without checking on him:(
'specially one thats not their own:panic:
MY 2 are 7 & 10 and when we're out at an indoor play area, still always have an eye on them:blush:
Paranonid mother here:laughing:

helenlc
20-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I have 15 yrs child care experience and am Btec Nursery Nurse qualified. I have worked in a nursery and agree about the feed baby, change baby, etc routine.

I would also add that i went to soft play on Wednesday with 5 kids (11yrs, 2 x 8yrs, 2yrs and a 15 month old) and was there for 4 1/2 hours. I sat down for about 30 minutes of this. I had the 15 month old in the baby area and the 2 yr old in and out of the baby area and the bigger ones on the big frame.

There is no way one of mine would have been distressed for that length of time. I am constantly looking round and checking where they are and that they are not upset or hurt etc.

Unfortunately, there are some bad ones amongst us and it seems these get discussed (as someone said especially on netmums) more than those of us that do a fantastic job - which if course is all of use on this site :clapping:

huggableshelly
20-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I wish parents would call ofsted when they are unhappy. This would sift out the rubbish childminders and allow the decent childminders to keep uo the top quality service they provide and parents accept.

I'm shocked at what I have read, uncaring heatless and imprissonment in a car with polos!

I stopped reading there enough is enough, i would love to meet those childminders and ask them how they would feel if someone treated their children that way!

Its not fair on the child/children involved and I honestly never believed there were childminders out there who were like what is portraid in the posts I read.

huggableshelly
20-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I wonder if its worth contacting the forum owner suggesting they update their information regarding childminders

http://www.netmums.com/working/Childcare_in_the_Home.249/westherts/

Kat
20-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi,

Just made me upset as some of mums will read it and never think to go to childminder ... never mind ... I am generaly tired of opinion that childminders are having one nig coffee shop all the time and doing nothing...
Kat

Schnakes
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Been throwing my weight around over there. Netmums seems to be full of Haterz though. I hope its not a reflection of society in general. They seem to think we are all so lazy and greedy, expecting them to pay us for looking after their kids all day! We are so damn rude!

I almost feel like posting a link to this website to show actually how hard we all work, but wouldnt want to ruin the sanctity of this lovely forum with all those suspicious and prying eyes!

There are bad childminders. There really are. What to do about them, thats the problem, when you have no proof. I know of one who has had three complaints against her by other childminders who have witnessed her bad behaviour. (I have also seen her, so its not just them). Ofsted have investigated each of those complaints and come up empty handed. She also got a "good" report last inspection, with a couple of "outstanding" areas too.

Sx

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 10:41 PM
A lot of moms do use this site so its a shame really because they wont bother reading the good it will just be the bad that they see

But its like everything in life there is good and bad

We have to hold our heads up and take it with a pinch of salt - what do these people know ?

Angel xx

Schnakes
20-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, they know where to take their business, for a start!!! :jump for joy: :thumbsup: :p

Sx

Pipsqueak
20-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Had said my piece on there earlier and you go Schnakes.

I try to stay of NetMums, it can be quite "cliquey" and quite anti childminder. I occasionally stick my tuppence worth in

Schnakes
21-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks Pipsqueak...am now desperately trying to guess which one you are, lol!!! :thumbsup:

People are so ingnorant when it comes to childminders. One of my mums has given me notice as her daughter has been given a place in a full time nursery. (She told me ages ago, apparently!! Erm, no you didnt!! Anyhooo!!) Apart from being really upset that I will be losing this child who I have totally fallen in love with, the thing that really cut me to the quick was when she said "oh, you know, they do all these things there - teach them numbers and colours and shapes and things".

Okay....deep breath....for a start my f-ing topic this month is SHAPES!!! Thanks for taking an interest on what Im doing with your kid, lady! Secondly she must think that..what?? I stick the kids in front of the TV all day while I relex in the bath or something?? I dont know!! This is despiite the DAILY DIARY and weekly obs books that get sent home every Friday night full of photos, works of art and the rest of it. It just makes me so mad. Even my own mum tells me that Im a "wasted brain" doing childinding. Thats nice, isnt it? Just cos she sent me to non-registered childminders to save a few bucks, who did sweet FA with the kids, I think she thinks I do the same. God, its so depressing. It makes me feel that people have no respect for us. Such a shame, after all the hard work. After all the nights up past 11pm sorting out paperwork, spending a small fortune on wonderful toys and equipment for the kids, dedicating my entire life to making their lives wonderful...and what do we get in return?

Not that Im bitter and twisted, or anything!! :blush:

Sx

Pudding Girl
21-02-2009, 12:14 PM
What was on the link posted about needing to contact them to update things? Can't see it

I took issue with something on their newsletters once about holiday care for children, they told mums to swap amongst themselves, they didn't like it when I pointed out that it amounted to illegal childminding, and refused to retract it!

Bananabrain
21-02-2009, 02:37 PM

I'm with you Twinkles,I have also worked in a private nursery{ I lasted a week}. It was horrendous.

I know a local cminder who takes her mindees to the hairdressers when she gets her hair done!!!! and another that has had numerous complaints for shouting at the children and is still minding.

Having said that I also know a couple that are fantastic.

Personally,I treat cminding as i would any job and try and do it to the best of my ability.I like to think I have pride in what I do.

It does rile me though,that alot of parents{including those of my own mindees}have no idea how qualified I am and what we have to go through on a weekly basis. Alot of my parents are somewhat detached and just want to 'dump and run' as my hubby puts it.:laughing:

claire bear 72
21-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Shocking stuff.......................:mad: I also know a few awful childminders...but as one comment says "her children didnt no any better" well no the children dont!!! :(
until they get old enough to be able to tell their parents...............I agree as above I care for the children as if they my own!!!!
Tried to report these childminders in our area......generally not nice women..they stand around as a group and all there mindees just wander around(park) not actually playing with anything/anyone........all my mindees/me were running around playing tig and I was on the swings.....large tyre swing...I have done that much on park I have strained a muscle in my back......Also went ice skating day after and hurt my ribs lol :blush: who says children have all the fun hehehehe:clapping: :thumbsup:

mushpea
22-02-2009, 11:13 AM
another post against us good guys:angry:

although does make me wonder what sort of person the 'poster' was not to have comforted this child herself!!!