PDA

View Full Version : Hand dryer in the bathroom - one step too far?

amirose
20-02-2009, 09:27 AM
:laughing: Yes this seems totally mad and it started as a joke but actually ... :laughing:

Basically my OH is a fully qualified commercial electrician and his work has been replacing the hand dryers so the old ones are up for grabs (though most normal people wouldn't want one!!!) anyway I was commenting about this forum and how people have been talking about this individual hand towel thing and Steve said (joking) we could put a hand dryer in the bathroom at first I laughed but in reality is this such a bad idea?

Steve said he can power it of something else and take a cable down from the loft (I dunno but I do know he knows what his doing) so question guys ...

WILL THIS IMPRESS OFSTED??? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Blaze
20-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I wish I had a hand dryer (CAN'T AFFORD ONE)...I know someone on the forum already does, but can't remember who! ...I would jump at the opportunity!:)

claireLouise
20-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Grab the offer, I know the Care Commssion (Scotland) would be impressed. I could not afford this option so went for paper towels and a dispenser.

Claire

tinkerbelle
20-02-2009, 10:11 AM
id go fr it ive got the paper towels and then have to dispose of them id much rather have a hand dryer ofsted will be really impressed as you dont have dirty towels hanging round either :clapping:

Pudding Girl
20-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Is it not the case that hot air dryers actually increase germs though? I thought that was why a lot of councils replaced with paper towels in first place?

amirose
20-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Is it not the case that hot air dryers actually increase germs though? I thought that was why a lot of councils replaced with paper towels in first place?

Yes I have heard that, technically they are supposed to blow any germs left on your hands into the atmosphere however if you teach kids to wash thier hand properly (pet :censored: ) then it should be fine, anyways I am only going to have 4-5 kids here not an army :laughing:

amirose
20-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Oh and this is at the airport and they are actually just replacing them with newer hand dryers, I hadn't actualy heard that the council were replacing them though, just getting my info from Steve - don't know where he heard it

CCJD
20-02-2009, 10:46 AM
For older children this would be great but don't now how it would work with younger ones - depends on your mindees really- non of my under 3's would stand there long enough to dry their hands and two of them would be petrified of the noise (they hate the Hoover too). My own children didn't really use hand driers in public places properly until they were about 4. So in my setting it wouldn't work, but I can see it being a real bonus if you had predominantly older children.

louised
20-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it's a great idea and I would go for it if I was you, I know my mindees would be permanently in the bathroom drying their hands if I had one.

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I think its a great idea

But....... personally I would not want one in my house

Angel xx

Mollymop
20-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I would go for seeing as though you haven't got to buy one and hubby can do all the work installing it.
I have a paper towel dispenser in my cloakroom, ofsted didn't even bat an eye lid at it though, which i was annoyed about.

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I would go for seeing as though you haven't got to buy one and hubby can do all the work installing it.
I have a paper towel dispenser in my cloakroom, ofsted didn't even bat an eye lid at it though, which i was annoyed about.

Typical haha

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Alibali
20-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Two of mine hate the noise of hand dryers too, but I think it's a great idea

Lou
20-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Its a good idea in principle, but i agree it might be difficult for younger ones to use?

My DD is nearly 6 and i wouldnt say she uses the ones in public loos properly!!! (mind you she is a lazy madam!!)

And i have to say i would never have one in my toilet...sorry no offence but i wouldnt have that, and i wouldnt have a paper towel dispenser, this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 11:14 AM
this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!

Those are also my thoughts

Angel xx

louni
20-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Me too! My Ofsted inspector asked me why I didn't have a paper towel dispenser and I said that it is my home and that the towel is changed in the toilet 3 times daily, she found this perfectly acceptable.
Louise
xx

amirose
20-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Its a good idea in principle, but i agree it might be difficult for younger ones to use?

My DD is nearly 6 and i wouldnt say she uses the ones in public loos properly!!! (mind you she is a lazy madam!!)

And i have to say i would never have one in my toilet...sorry no offence but i wouldnt have that, and i wouldnt have a paper towel dispenser, this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!

Ha ha no offence taken I actually don't care about having one in the bathroom I might be sad but I think its kind of cool! - I mean its one heck of a talking point when you have guests!!! :laughing:

I think I am going for it - worst case scenario I still put out towels for the really little ones and I have an awesome hand dryer which cost me nothing to impress ofsted :thumbsup: :clapping:

ruby
20-02-2009, 01:41 PM
no good in my house one of the little ones i have freaks out at the site of one never mine the noise.

have to take wet wipes and hand santizer out with us to clean his hands

cathy

huggableshelly
20-02-2009, 02:04 PM
great idea ... though personally I wouldnt have one, my son has extremly sesitive hearing and freaks out when a hand drier is in use.

hello kitty
20-02-2009, 09:13 PM
When we extended the house and cloakroom we added a hand dryer and most of the children love it but not the really little ones ~ they hated the noise but after a while they are now used to it but I still have paper towels on stand by too. :)

crazybones
20-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Ive got one. Got fed up of the older ones and their wet towels. The little ones always go in with me to wash their hands and they are scared of the noise so wont use it. I usually set it off with my bum when I turn around whilst seeing to one of them :rolleyes: :o

beerheaven
20-02-2009, 10:36 PM
I've got one too - with some grant money a couple of years ago!
I've had a couple of kids who have been afraid of it it initially so they had individual towels. However within a few weeks they were using it and now love it!!

There is concern about germs being blown into the air but my argument for using one is that I don't have space for each child to have individual towels, and secondly paper towels aren't very environmentally friendly.

If you have the chance to get one, go for it!
Plus it's a talking point at parties!! :)

Schnakes
20-02-2009, 10:36 PM
I have an awesome hand dryer which cost me nothing to impress ofsted

Ooohh...I can stand the bad spelling and the text speak we sometimes see on talk boards, but calling a hand dryer "awesome"....thats just like..."nnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo"!!!!

:thumbsup:

Sx

Juddster
20-02-2009, 10:43 PM
If its for ofsted its a gamble as to who walks through your door anyway. My friend went to all the effort of getting individual towels on labelled pegs etc and the inspecter said just put a roll of kitchen roll in there. You can never win lol.

Bananabrain
21-02-2009, 02:53 PM

All my local minders ordered job lot of paper towels between them and are now talking about getting dispensers too. I agree I don't want my bathroom looking like a public loo.

I've got different coloured towels on hooks and that's what I'm sticking with.