PDA

View Full Version : Continuity of care? or working with other settings?

Peppa
19-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok so i have after schooler 5 yrs and read on another thread best to compliment the schools eyfs, talk to the teacher etc.

Do I have to write to the school? Get parents permission? Do homework with the child? I'm not really sure. Only have her tuesdays till 5pm.

Have holiday only child 5...again. Do i need to talk to the school about planning for her etc....

How do i work with other settings?

Pipsqueak
19-02-2009, 10:34 PM
All I done was explain to the parent that under the EYFS setting need to work together to ensure that the care the child receives is complimented, got her written permission to approach teacher.... spoke to teacher - made an appointment etc....
Wrote up what was discussed, implemented systems where i could support the school and childs learning

sarah707
20-02-2009, 07:59 AM
This is really quite hot with Ofsted at the moment from what I can gather from a number of childminders.

One who I chat to got an outstanding recently and the inspector used 'working with other settings' as her improvement, even though she was the one to tell parents who their child's key worker was!! The inspector said she had to put an improvement and this was one that is being pushed.

I have just finished a mini e-book on 'Working with others' and put it on my website last night. It looks at easy ways to make contact with other settings and professionals and prove that you are doing the right things without rushing around like a mad thing.

It is difficult for part timers who go to school, but I think you need to remember that our aim is to complement the care they get elsewhere, not do the same things. So we give them a quiet place to rest and chill after the hurly burly of school ... we give them tea and chatter after the manicness of the playground and dinner hall etc...

Hth :D