PDA

View Full Version : Outings

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Can you guess I have been reading and digesting great chunks of the EYFS booklet!!! lol

Wanted to ask - do any of you do a risk assessment (currently) for outings? What does this involve - how far into it do you go? Visit the place first etc..

Page 24 Specific Legal Requirement (bottom section)
"For each specific outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment, which includes an assessment of required child/adult ratios. This assessment must take into account of the nature of the outing and consider whether it is appropriate to exceed the normal ratio requirements blah blah"

So does this mean for each outing (not normal daily trips to shops, toddler etc) that a risk assessment is going to have to be carried out - ie we visit the place etc. What about on outings organised by say ie/ childrens centre - how do we go about that (ask them for a copy of their risk assessment?)

Lou
01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I dont get the whole ratio bit????

sorry probably being thick.

As for risk assesments, i have one for anywhere we visit regualarly ie the park etc.

If i was going on an outing to somewhere new, i would do a new risk assesment yes, but no wouldnt visit it first i doubt.

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I think the ratio bit applies more to group settings but we can't go over our numbers but I think (again) its saying that we need to consider if we need more adults to assist with the children when on an outing:idea:

sarah707
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
So does this mean for each outing (not normal daily trips to shops, toddler etc) that a risk assessment is going to have to be carried out - ie we visit the place etc. What about on outings organised by say ie/ childrens centre - how do we go about that (ask them for a copy of their risk assessment?)

Err, my understanding is every outing - including normal visits to shops, toddler groups etc will need a risk assessment.

I have a stack of ones for all outings and I'm slowly building them up as we visit places.

I imagine, yes, if we're going with someone else, we could ask for their risk assessment (zoos and farms have them on their websites as well) but we should also do our own :D

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 11:11 AM
omg I can see me quitting in the next few years this is getting ridiculous now this isnt why i wanted to childmind x

ajs
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
omg I can see me quitting in the next few years this is getting ridiculous now this isnt why i wanted to childmind x

i have no risk assessments
i am sorry i do not do them for my own kids and i do not do them for the mindees either, when i come down in the morning i go from room to room moving shoes and stuff before the mindees come so that the place is safe, clean and tidy but i do not write down what i've done to satisfy ofsted

i do visual assessments when ever we go out and warn the children to avoid the branches etc but again i do not write them down.
i agree susan that is not why i am a childminder,

i explained that in my last inspection to the inspector
she seemed happy but she may not be this time

oakie dokie
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
i know 1 cm that was told that she had to do risk assestment if she decided to do her weekly shop elsewhere and to go the night before to do risk assesment? this is true. no joke. how do you risk assess the school run every day? etc etc etc. life is a risk, how do you assess that!

hazelx

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I think I might start doing one when I go to the toilet - just incase I were to fall down the loo or something

Best to be prepared

Angel xx

Kidding by the way for any of you new ones who do not know me

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I think I might start doing one when I go to the toilet - just incase I were to fall down the loo or something

Best to be prepared

Angel xx

Kidding by the way for any of you new ones who do not know me

Hah - I can see it now - Policy on Getting Flushed down the Toilet

oakie dokie
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
oh angel thanks for making me laugh, dont think its poossible for me to fall down the loo!:laughing:

sarah707
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Where's Pauline? She's the policy writing expert! :laughing:

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah I will ask her to write us one haha

xx

Pauline
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
OK, just for you! :)

Toilet Policy

I have completed a full risk assessment regarding any visits I may have to the toilet during the time I am caring for children. I have covered all eventualities and feel that this is a very safe time.

However, one consideration that came to light during my risk assessment was the possibility that I might accidentally be flushed down the loo.

Therefore, if during a visit to the toilet I should accidentally be flushed down the loo I will implement the following procedure:

I will try to swim back to the surface, however this might not be possible and I will be completely round the bend.

After a wee while I will try again but if I still cannot get out then I will swim to the nearest sewage works.

Upon entering the sewage works I will find the nearest workman and ask if I can use is compooter

From here I will:

No. 1 log into the Childminding Forum (the best place on earth for advice) and ask what everyone else would do in my situation.

or

No. 2 Phone home and reassure the children (who haven't yet missed me) that I will return soon and have just popped out for one minute to check the drains.

Upon my return if any children say I stink I will calmly and quietly correct them that the nice way to say this is that 'you have a rather unpleasant smell near you'.

:)

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks Pauline

That is brilliant I have laughed my head off haha

Very very funny

Angel xx

crazybones
01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I cant stop laughing:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Need a wee now

Annie x

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I just can not stop laughing it is just so funny

xx

Pauline
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Back to the topic!

I would write one for a visit to a park or water attraction for instance but
I don't think we will be expected to write such detailed risk assessments for everyday things as going to the shop.

I think perhaps one general assessment which will cover many things will do, e.g.

If travelling by car ensure all car seats/boosters/seat belts are appropriate for the age and stage of the children. That all conform to safety standards and are correctly fitted.

If walking children will be strictly supervised, on age appropriate reigns etc.etc.

If visiting shops/supermarkets children will be strictly supervised in the car park, carried in age appropriate supermarket trollys with restraints, awareness of 'stranger danger' etc. etc.

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah Pauline I agree with you 100%

Angel xx

deeb66
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Back to the topic!

I would write one for a visit to a park or water attraction for instance but
I don't think we will be expected to write such detailed risk assessments for everyday things as going to the shop.

I think perhaps one general assessment which will cover many things will do, e.g.

If travelling by car ensure all car seats/boosters/seat belts are appropriate for the age and stage of the children. That all conform to safety standards and are correctly fitted.

If walking children will be strictly supervised, on age appropriate reigns etc.etc.

If visiting shops/supermarkets children will be strictly supervised in the car park, carried in age appropriate supermarket trollys with restraints, awareness of 'stranger danger' etc. etc.

That is basically what I do now and I have no intention of changing in September and have received advice that what I am already doing will be good enough.

sarah707
01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Pauline, you are a star! I knew you'd come up with the goods!!

Wonder how long that one will take to get read out at a meeting somewhere? :laughing:

Rubybubbles
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
haha Pauline on Loo risk assessment

I've only done a risk assessment for outings such as going to the soft play, farm ect (and I only started this because I had to do one for my NVQ :o ),

I'm not doing them for the park, school run, toddlers ect, I'm going to roll them down the street in bubble wrapthat'll keep ofsted happy (or not:rolleyes: )

peggy
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Can you guess I have been reading and digesting great chunks of the EYFS booklet!!! lol

Wanted to ask - do any of you do a risk assessment (currently) for outings? What does this involve - how far into it do you go? Visit the place first etc..

Page 24 Specific Legal Requirement (bottom section)
"For each specific outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment, which includes an assessment of required child/adult ratios. This assessment must take into account of the nature of the outing and consider whether it is appropriate to exceed the normal ratio requirements blah blah"

having youngsters of my own i've only just realised that i do this automatically anyway, i dont write things down! I think a lot is common sense anyway!

Moreover how can you do a written risk assement on somewhere that you have never been before?? You can only do that when you are actually there and i for one aint standing there with a pen and paper writing things down my priority is the children in my care at the time, and preventing them from going near such risks!! If its that bloomin dangerous we'll leave!!!

miffy
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
There are some examples of risk assessments under eyfs on the bromley website

miffy xx

bubbly
01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Please someone tell me this is a bad dream that will go away :panic:

So, I'm basically going to have to do a beeping risk assessment every time I set foot out of my bleeping front door? Has the world suddenly gone mad? Have aliens landed and we've been taken over? Oh yes, sorry, Ofsted landed and they're a bunch of bleeping bleepers :angry:

When am I supposed to find time to do risk assements? In between caring for the kids, writing daily diaries, observations, planning, outings, looking after my own family? There's no time left unless I learn to write in my sleep. I'll check my local college for sleepwriting courses...

I'm so fed up I'm thinking of quitting as I wont have a life any more. I didn't become a childminder because I love working with paper. I'm so disillusioned with the whole thing and I just can't cope with more paperwork.

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Tell you what

COME ON STRIKE WITH ME !

Angel xx

bubbly
01-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Tell you what

COME ON STRIKE WITH ME !

Angel xx
Sounds tempting Angel. Shall we march to Ofsted H.Q. and dump all our mindees on them for a week and demand risk assessments, observations, planning, policies, diaries, outings etc and then give the b******* a grading at the end?

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 11:52 PM
sounds good to me haha

xx

Pipsqueak
02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah - Childminders on Strike (do we have a union????)

bubbly
02-02-2008, 01:14 AM
There are some examples of risk assessments under eyfs on the bromley website

miffy xx
I'm going to adapt the Bromley assessments to suit my setting, plus use Sarah's advice from the assessments she sells on her excellent website and that's it. That will give me assessments for outings, going to the shops, park, public transport, transportation by car and walking. Plus the Bromley assessment for the home. If assessments are required for flying into outer space or alien abduction etc, I'm JUST NOT GOING TO DO IT!!!

Viva la revolution, yay :thumbsup: