PDA

View Full Version : Parent made redundant

louise
19-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi, Just been told a parent has been made redundant we new it was happening but hoped it would be in a few weeks as she goes on maternity leave in 4 weeks so mindee was going to be leaving.

Well it has happened today. What has everyone else done about mindee leaving? Have u made them do the 4 weeks notice which it states in my contract. I feel mean doing this and dont want to ask but then surely she will get some redundancy pay? I dont know. I cant afford to loose the money at the mo. He is my only full timer and i was budgetting for in 4 weeks time.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks Lou

Alibali
19-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I know it feels rotten, but you have bills to pay too, you need to stick to your contract and get your 4 weeks notice.

Hope you get your space filled soon.

FizzysFriends
19-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree, you have bills to pay too and she will be getting redundancy pay (they tend to be generous to pregnant people at times like this so its not seen as bad).

louise
19-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Thank you. I did tell her when she texted to say i wont have mindee tom even though she has to remove all the stock. I told her she needed to do notice she has just replied i know dont worry. Hope i still have mindee at times. I had him 2 yrs and him and my son have become more like brothers. They haven't got to say bye yet.
I hope i get someone else soon. Ive got another mindee but she is only 3 days so i really need 2 more days. I have saved money by from new mindee which will only last so long.
Lou

charleyfarley
19-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear this but when hubby was going through getting made redundant recently he was still given four weeks notice plus any redundancy money owed. So yes you should still get your 4 weeks money.

Hope you get someone else soon :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Schnakes
19-02-2009, 08:54 PM
When one of my mums was made redundant last year, she came to pick up her daughter in floods of tears so I had a quiet word with her hubby the day after and said that I was sorry but I expected them to stand by their contract. Felt like a complete megabitch but there you go. I run a business and I wasnt going to be losing my money.

Sx

berkschick
19-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I would also enforce the 4 week notice period but I would advertise the space immediately and if I managed to fill it in the meantime I would waive the remainding fee.

Least that way you are doing all you can to help them too.

Good luck with finding a replacement, are things quiet near you at the moment?

gegele
19-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I would also enforce the 4 week notice period but I would advertise the space immediately and if I managed to fill it in the meantime I would waive the remainding fee.

Least that way you are doing all you can to help them too.

Good luck with finding a replacement, are things quiet near you at the moment?

i would do that too! if you found someone to replace then you could help and not lose, well a bit but you know what i mean.

louise
19-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you everyone. I have found out that part of the redundancy is for his place to be paid for for 4 weeks. I just had to remember that a nursery would make u pay.