PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite book for little ones?

crazybones
01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Mine is Owl Babies. I now have 2 copies (one for best).

Annie x

oakie dokie
01-02-2008, 07:49 AM
monkey puzzel, kids love it.

hazelx

Cammie Doodle
01-02-2008, 07:52 AM
The Hungry Caterpillar :) I have had a few copies of this over the years I love it when the kids say "and he was STILL hungry" as we near the bottom of a page.
One of MY favourites is Hairy McLeary from Donaldsons Dairy (thinking about it I must look this one out as the mindees I have at present would love that one Im sure.) :idea:
Thanks Annie for jogging my memory.

June

charleyfarley
01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I love the Hairy McLeary books, have quite a few.

We have The Hungry Caterpiller and you have to colour the pictures in on each page. It was only £3.99 from Smiths and I think it makes it more special.

We also like We're Going On A Bear Hunt.

To be honest there's that many books, we're spoilt for choice

Carol xx

sarah707
01-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Bear Hunt at the moment - accompanied by the author on You Tube - have you seen it? It's brill !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytc0U2WAz4s

:D

cherry
01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Just watched the Bear Hunt, isn't it great :laughing:

Cherry :)

charleyfarley
01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for that Sarah

We've just watched it, Mitchell loved it

Carol xx

littletreasures
01-02-2008, 10:11 AM
We love "So Much". About a little boy getting ready for a surprise party for his Dad.

My kids loved it when they were little as well. Samantha is away at University and I had to record me reading it for her so she could listen to it as she says she misses listening to me reading stories to the kids.

mamapink
01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
hi thanks for that

I got both my dds off from school today with colds and temps they loved watching that

pink
xx:)

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
At the moment we are into
"There is a dragon at my school"

It causes much laughter

avril
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi

For very little ones the book HUG is great not a great deal of words just large colourful pictures about a monkey looking for a hug quite similar to monkey puzzle but the kids love it as they can join in even when cannot read as they know the word on each page is HUG, I've wittered on enough now but I just love this story:clapping:

Avril:laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
my favorite book is

'Guess how much I love you' by debbie Gliori there isnt much to it but i love the words and the pictures and it was Luca's favorite when he was little and now I love reading it to Amy as well xxx

xxx

ajs
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
my all time favourite littlies book is dear zoo
bear hunt
this is the bear
any
hairy macleary too
hungry caterpillar
alex's favourite was any spot books

i love the youtube video of bear hunt it is so good

Chell
01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Marvin wanted more (http://www.bloomsbury.com/marvin/) is a favourite here.

button68
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
The Hungry Caterpillar :) I have had a few copies of this over the years I love it when the kids say "and he was STILL hungry" as we near the bottom of a page.
One of MY favourites is Hairy McLeary from Donaldsons Dairy (thinking about it I must look this one out as the mindees I have at present would love that one Im sure.) :idea:
Thanks Annie for jogging my memory.

June

My DD loves Hairy McCleary ..... my mum first introduced her to him :thumbsup:

flora
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
In our house at the moment little baa by Kim Lewis is a hot favourite, followed by farmer duck and owl babies. In the mornings while lo is having her milk she likes daddy to read once there were giants. Its written by martin waddell and the illlustratons are lovely all about a little girl growing up and all the stages in her life, part of the reason lo loves it is that one character " uncle tom" looks just like her daddy.

Spangles
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
My son can't leave his Dora book about going to the dentist alone at the moment and a pop-up Charlie and Lola book too!

I actually have to admit that I don't like The Very Hungry Caterpillar book! I think I am the only one though! I really don't like the pictures, I don't like the style of them and don't think they are very clear! Wow, I'm so brave to put that on here because everyone seems to love it and I'll probably get lynched now!

Ha ha!

ajs
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
In our house at the moment little baa by Kim Lewis is a hot favourite, followed by farmer duck and owl babies. In the mornings while lo is having her milk she likes daddy to read once there were giants. Its written by martin waddell and the illlustratons are lovely all about a little girl growing up and all the stages in her life, part of the reason lo loves it is that one character " uncle tom" looks just like her daddy.

kim lewis's books are set in a part of northumberland where my kids went to primary school

sam's favourite was floss it was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes every time i read it to him http://www.kimlewisbooks.co.uk/books.html
i#'d forgotten about her books

Sarsar3NCH
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Our favourite is 'Room on the Broom'. We have the big book version and little book for kids to look at by themselves, the kids know a lot of it word for word, its great

Sarah

louise
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I like Gruffalo also Monkey Puzzel. I got a a set of 4 that came with all the stories on cd. I put it on while they played and saw my son pick up Monkey puzzel and turn to the correct page. He went "it said a spider mummy so its this page". Im on the look out for room on the broom as this is the only one we havent read yet.
Also AAAGHHH Spider by Lydia someone has been choosen lots from the library.
I know dear zoo by heart it use to be my sons fave book. I do actions for the animals and he loves the monkey as i tickle him.
Im also not keen on hungry catapillar, we got it out but they werent intrested.
I also like Aliens love underpants.

crazybones
02-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I need to replace The Hungry Caterpillar. My 2 yr old mindee ate chunks out of it whilst I had him sat in the high chair so I could go to the toilet. My risk assessment was not too good there and so I have updated it.:rolleyes:

Annie x

Mollymop
02-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Our fav is The Biggest Bed in the World. My children love it before bed. I got it at a bargin price of25p for our library.

manjay
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately my ds favourite books at the moment are the new Welsh ones I have bought. Only problem is I am still learning to pronounce the words. Mindees and dd think it is really funny to watch me struggling.

amanda xx

Hopscotch
02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
We like a book called munch, the kids love it and i bought them each a copy for christmas, also i got hold of the lady who wrote the book and she wrote a little email letter to the boys which was really lovely.

And the gruffalo i love that.

Oh and have any of you seen the book called the jolly postman it is grat its all about a postman delivering letters to people in fairytales and you can open the envelope and see the letters it is so sweet
Bev X

deeb66
02-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Our favourite books at the moment include:

Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Bad Tempered Ladybird
Bear Hunt

But my favourite is:-

Watch out big bro is coming! - I love this book...it is about a mouse who tells all the other animals (frogs, elephants, monkeys, birds, rhinos etc) that they have to watch out because big bro will be coming soon and that he is rough and tough and really big. By the end of the story all the animals are quaking in their boots about this big bro and all of a sudden he comes out of the trees and it turns out that big bro is a mouse but obviously bigger than his little brother.......sorry to ramble on but I love the story:D

fionamal
02-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Mine is " The Tiger Who Came for Tea" and "Really, Really"
The kids never get fed up with them.

nell57
02-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Our favourite at the moment is a set of books on road safety called Salman and Friends, the mindees love them, they are educational and best of all they were freebies:clapping:

Helen

deeb66
02-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Our favourite at the moment is a set of books on road safety called Salman and Friends, the mindees love them, they are educational and best of all they were freebies:clapping:

Helen

I have got them too Helen

They are fantastic aren't they and the kids also love the CD that came with them

nell57
02-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I have got them too Helen

They are fantastic aren't they and the kids also love the CD that came with them
Embarrassed to say not used CD:o
but been on the web site with 5 year old mindee and that's really good as well
not sure what web address is of top of my head but think found the link through the forum(no surprise there hey, where would we be without it)
helen

deeb66
02-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Embarrassed to say not used CD:o
but been on the web site with 5 year old mindee and that's really good as well
not sure what web address is of top of my head but think found the link through the forum(no surprise there hey, where would we be without it)
helen

You really ought to try the CD it is good!

If anyone is interested in the website it is:

http://www.salmanandfriends.co.uk/

Dee

nell57
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for putting web link on Dee
would have tried myself but am total novice and would not know where to start, ds normally helps me some times but he's out, hence me using lap top while i can get a look in

Helen

deeb66
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for putting web link on Dee
would have tried myself but am total novice and would not know where to start, ds normally helps me some times but he's out, hence me using lap top while i can get a look in

Helen

No problems Helen.

I have also posted a new thread about this site in the activities section so that all can see it as I think it is a brilliant site.

polobear1970
02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
my mindes fav book is wheres spot along with nosies for the animals that are hiding

charleyfarley
02-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that site

Had a quick look and it looks great

Carol xx

tulip0803
02-02-2008, 08:59 PM
My now very battered copy of Ten In The Bed by Penny Dale Familiar rhyme with lovely illustrations.
Tractor Factory Elinor Bagenal & Steve Augarde (pop-up)
All the books in the "All kinds of ....." series
Welsh books from the Basic Skills Agency about Ceri a Huw