PDA

View Full Version : omg look at this!!!

emmadines
31-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Childminder guilty of killing boy

Last Updated: Thursday, 31 January 2008, 21:30 GMT
- Search: Agnes Wong childminder

Childminder Agnes Wong, who was convicted of killing a toddlerA childminder has been found guilty of killing a toddler in her care by inflicting a serious head injury.

Agnes Wong, 28, was convicted at Manchester Crown Court of the manslaughter of 17-month-old Hugo Wang. Hugo also suffered bite marks, bruising and burns caused by a hairdryer. He was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary on January 25 last year, when hospital staff became concerned by his injuries.

Wong, her boyfriend Jian Jiu, and two others in their flat at Frank Cowin Court, Fitzwilliam Street, Salford, were arrested on suspicion of assault. Hugo was transferred to Pendlebury Children's Hospital in Salford where he underwent emergency surgery to reduce the pressure on his brain caused by internal bleeding.

However, it became clear that Hugo couldn't survive, and his life support machines were switched off just before 5pm the following day.

A post mortem examination showed the cause of death to be a traumatic head injury, likely to have been inflicted some time on the day before he died. Hugo's brain had shifted in his skull, and there was bleeding between his skull and his brain.

Wong was paid by Hugo's mother to look after her son all the time.

The police investigation found that Hugo's burn marks were from the hot grille of a hairdryer, and the marks on his legs had been caused by Wong hitting him with a ruler when he would not stop crying. Wong and her boyfriend were re-arrested on suspicion of Hugo's murder an hour after he died.

Police interviewed Jian Jiu's nine-year-old son, who lived with the couple, as a witness to the crime. He told officers that he was frightened of Wong. The boy said that on January 25 he and his father had gone to a neighbouring flat in Frank Cowin Court to wash, as their boiler had broken. Wong and Hugo were left in their flat.

Wong appeared saying that something was wrong with Hugo and she was taking him to hospital. Wong was charged with Hugo's murder on January 29 last year, which she denied.

Jian Jiu was charged with causing or allowing the death of a child by an unlawful act. During the course of the two-week trial this charge was dropped. The two others who were arrested were released without charge.

what gose through ppls minds when they do this????:angry: :angry: :angry: :censored:

ajs
31-01-2008, 11:50 PM
oh isn't that awful poor little boy and his poor parent's too

littlestar
31-01-2008, 11:51 PM
oh my:eek:

Schnakes
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Doesnt say if she was registered???

Sx

crazybones
01-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Doesnt say if she was registered???

Sx

I wondered about this as well and could not find that info on any news sites.
Apparently the child was looked after in Manchester, the parents worked in Southport and the mother only saw child once a week! Sounds odd to me. I think I also read the parents were illegal immigrants.

Annie x

miffy
01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
That is so horrible, poor little boy

It doesn't sound to me as though this woman was a registered childminder.

I thnik the word childminder has been used a bit loosely by the press here - more like she was just looking after him.

That's how we all get a bad name - maybe ncma will check it out and try to refute it if she was not registered

Miffy xx

angeldelight
01-02-2008, 07:45 AM
That is horrible how sad

Angel xx

sarah707
01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh that is awful :mad:

emler
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Its absolutely horrific. Makes me so mad. Poor little thing

Emler x

berkschick
01-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I read about it on Daily Mail website.

She was NOT a registered childminder. :angry:

It is a shame the other reports havent pointed this fact out!

Poor boy though, it really sounds like he suffered a lot.:(

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 09:45 AM
This sort of thing brings tears to my eyes - the poor baby. May the woman rot in hell.

That was the first thing that popped into my head - was she reg'd?
This is the sort of thing that the NCMA need to be jumping on and stopping - allowing the press to call her a childminder when she clearly wasn't.

Lou
01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
This sort of thing brings tears to my eyes - the poor baby. May the woman rot in hell.

That was the first thing that popped into my head - was she reg'd?
This is the sort of thing that the NCMA need to be jumping on and stopping - allowing the press to call her a childminder when she clearly wasn't.

Totally agree that was my first thought too.

By calling her a childminder gives the rest of us a bad name!!!

Cheeky Chops
01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
this is horrible! I am speechless at how this woman dare do this to such an innocent little boy who depended on her to LOOK AFTER him.

My prayers and thoughts go out to his family r.i.p x x

and I think ncma should def get onto the papers for a retraction for calling this lady a " childminder" as she clearly isnt!!

Pipsqueak
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I have just emailed NCMA (as I feel that strongly about this) about them redressing the statement that this woman was a "childminder" and asking them what they (NCMA) do to educate the press and public more about what constitutes a childminder - registration, qualifications and the level of dedication and professionalism nowadays.

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
omg how awful the poor little soul x

I think NCMA should have done a press release to say she was not a registered childminder with Ofsted and therefore was not following strict guidelines and meeting national standards that are in place....

thought are with the child x

Banana
01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Horiffic!

How sad and wrong
x

Rubybubbles
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I have just emailed NCMA (as I feel that strongly about this) about them redressing the statement that this woman was a "childminder" and asking them what they (NCMA) do to educate the press and public more about what constitutes a childminder - registration, qualifications and the level of dedication and professionalism nowadays.

did you do one? They are normal good at this.

SUch a shame for the poor boy, regardless of everything he shouldn't off been treated in this way

Pipsqueak
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Quick Update

This is on the NCMA website...

NCMA clarifies inaccurate use of the term "childminder".

As you may have seen, some newspapers are today (1 February 2008) carrying a story about an unregistered childcarer who was found guilty of manslaughter yesterday. Unfortunately whilst some of the media have outlined that this person was an unregistered carer, some have used the term childminder. NCMA has written to the BBC, as well as other media outlets, to highlight the inaccuracy and request that they use the correct terminology in future.

The letter to the BBC is below.

Dear BBC News,

The headline to your story which ran on BBC online (31 January 2008) - "Childminder guilty of killing boy" is not only factually inaccurate but has the potential to cause great anxiety among parents who use registered childminders to support the care and education of their children.

The misleading headline and subsequent story referred to Agnes Wong as a 'childminder' responsible for the tragic death of Hugo Wang. This is factually incorrect. Registered childminders are inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) in England and the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) in Wales, and meet stringent national standards and undergo rigorous checks as to their suitability to care for children. They number some 70,000, providing over 300,000 places to parents across England and Wales and, like nurseries and pre-schools provide high-quality early learning and development opportunities for children.

Agnes Wong was not a childminder and instead was operating privately with no regulation or inspection. This unregistered, unregulated childcare bears no relation to childminding. I appreciate this may sound like semantics, but this casual use of 'childminder' leads to a great deal of concern and anger amongst registered childminders and can undermine the confidence of the parents who use their services.

I would be grateful for an explanation as to how this inappropriate terminology was used in such a news piece and would urge you to ensure correct use of the terminology in your future reporting.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Fletcher

Director of Communications

National Childminding Association

Pipsqueak
03-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Yay NCMA!!!!:clapping:

deeb66
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks Vik

At least they have responded!!!!

It does annoy me when the newspapers just rant and rave and say childminder when in fact these people aren't:angry:

LittleAcorns
03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
How sad, that poor little baby, im astounded that people can do things like this to such innocent beings

crazybones
03-02-2008, 05:52 PM
:clapping: :clapping: GO NCMA:clapping: :clapping:
You have justified my fee.

Annie x

jmoff
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Poor boy!

Jana

ruby
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
i am sorry but i can't get my head round how people can do this to children:angry:
that poor boy

cathy

emmadines
03-02-2008, 08:03 PM
i am sorry but i can't get my head round how people can do this to children:angry:
that poor boy

cathy

ditto!! I know kids can be trying!!!!! very trying but honestly! how could they??? what pocesses them to do this sort of thing????

sarah707
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, looks like NCMA have done a good thing there... let's hope it makes a difference in the future!

That poor little boy though, makes me so sad

angeldelight
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
That is sad

Angel xx