PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit recipe.....

SimplyLucy
19-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I need a recipe quickly!

We have biscuit making planned for today and I've just made up a recipe that I found on the BBC website that is useless. I want a recipe for biscuits that can be rolled out. I've washed all the play dough cutters in preparation.

The recipe that I made said they needed to be rolled but there is no chance of rolling the sticky mess I've made! I've blobbed the mix onto trays so it won't go to waste but we really want to make some more!

HelenJC
19-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi

Are you meant to chill the mixture for a while before rolling?
I have a good recipe - Nigella Lawson's. It tastes good and keeps its shape. I usually make the full mixture and freeze half for another day.

175g butter or marge
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar until light, add eggs and then the dry ingredients. You can add more flour now if you think it is too sticky.

Wrap in cling film (I make it into flat discs) and chill for about an hour.

Roll out and cook for 8 - 12 minutes at 180 C or gas 4.

You can ice them or dust with icing sugar after. I sometime roll out ready to roll icing and use the same cutters again.

Have fun.

Helen

sarah707
19-02-2009, 09:22 AM
The chef says this one is nice -

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3468/basic-biscuit-dough

SimplyLucy
19-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Thats the one I used Sarah and even chilled it was a sticky mess......it has baked up nicely, but there was no way a rolling pin was gonna go near it!

Maybe I'm just a pants cook!

Angela234
19-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Here's the one i tried last week very easy

125g butter
50g caster sugar
175g plain flour
1 tablespoon milk

Rub butter sugar and flour to make breadcrumbs add milk bind togetherinto ball
Roll out and cut shapes

Angela

Zoomie
19-02-2009, 11:36 AM
This is our favourite bisuit recipe and it often gets eaten before we have put it in the oven :blush:

Homemade Hob Nobs:

Put
225g SR flour
225g Sugar
225g Oats
into a bowl, and give it a stir.

Melt
225g margarine,
1 tablespoon syrup
1 tablespoon boiling water

Add
1/2 teaspoon bicaronate of soda (if you have the marg hot enough it will foam slightly when this is added :) )

Mix marg and flour together and then make balls (abt 50p coin size) and place on parchment paper on a baking tray and flattern with a fork.

I challenged my 12y old nephew to make all the balls without eating the dough, and he did really well ... until he licked his fingers for the first time.

Recipe can also be halved or doubled at will.

:thumbsup:

loocyloo
19-02-2009, 01:11 PM
we make lots of biscuits!
:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

this is our current favourite ... from a childminder friend ..hence the name!:laughing: (if you read this Lucy ... you are really famous now!:laughing: )

Lucy’s biscuits!

(Iced Spice Biscuits)
250g plain flour
125g butter
125g brown sugar
1 small beaten egg
2 teaspoons mixed spice (nice with cinnamon added too!)
pinch of salt

mix dry ingredients, add egg. knead together by hand to make a ball. roll it out, bake and eat! ( about 10-15 mins, about 180/200C ... i tend to just put them in with whatever else is cooking! and wait till they are done! )

Digestives

6oz plain flour
11/2 oz oatmeal [I use porridge oats instead and they're fine]
1sp baking powder
3oz butter or marg
3oz brown sugar
3 tbsp milk

Mix all dry ingredients except sugar.Rub in butter. Stir in sugar and add milk. Roll out and cut into rounds. Put on a greased tray and bakc 180C 15mins approx.

Shrewsbury biscuits

125g butter
150g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
225g plain flour
(optional - grated rind of 1 lemon/orange)

(or omit 3 level tablespoons flour and add 3 level tablespoon cocoa powder)

cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks. stir in flour (and rind). mix togther. knead into a ball, roll out, bake 180C for 10-15 mins till firm and light brown.

hth!

loocyloo xxx

SimplyLucy
19-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi

Are you meant to chill the mixture for a while before rolling?
I have a good recipe - Nigella Lawson's. It tastes good and keeps its shape. I usually make the full mixture and freeze half for another day.

175g butter or marge
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar until light, add eggs and then the dry ingredients. You can add more flour now if you think it is too sticky.

Wrap in cling film (I make it into flat discs) and chill for about an hour.

Roll out and cook for 8 - 12 minutes at 180 C or gas 4.

You can ice them or dust with icing sugar after. I sometime roll out ready to roll icing and use the same cutters again.

Have fun.

Helen

Fantastic recipe.......we've made loads of biscuits and only used half the mix, the rest is in the freezer!