PDA

View Full Version : Should I charge when a child is at nursery?

Marie01
18-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I look after a child fulltime. She has just become entitled to her 15 hours a week nursery place. She is doing 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. I pick the child up from home and take her to nursery, I am the first emergency contact for her, and collect her from nursery. I feel that as i'm "on call" and holding the place, that I should charge - what is the norm? I'm I right to do this?
I would be grateful for any advice.

RainbowMum
18-02-2009, 05:42 PM
If you are the emergency contact then I would charge - you cant use the space for another child in case you have to pick them poorly etc.

HomefromHome
18-02-2009, 05:44 PM
also if they have holidays like schools then you would have them in the hols too so therefore you would charge the normal rate all of the time as you would be unable to fill in 3 x 5 hr slots, term time only place.
it is pretty much the norm to charge for nursery children.:)

Minstrel
18-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes i would def charge in the circumstance you have explained x

LittleMissSparkles
18-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I charge full fee's when they are at pre school as come school holidays they are with me all day and i take and colect them so they are stillcontracted for those hours hth x

Chimps Childminding
18-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I didn't used to charge full I only charged half, but I will now charge anyone else full - it is almost impossible to fill the space if it is needed for holidays emergencies etc. plus if parents are getting Nursery funded, they are not having to pay for that as well as paying us so I think it only fair, especially if you are taking/collecting and emergency contact!!

Pipsqueak
18-02-2009, 06:10 PM
i would charge, you cannot fill this 2.5 hour space and if you are the emergency contact then even more reason to do so

Andrea08
18-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I charge for the full placement 15 hrs at nursery or not ,,its not like the parents pay the nursery hrs just the fees to me?!

Alibali
18-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, I charge while they are at nursery, the space needs to be kept open for them so wouldn't be able to make money otherwise.

tomthumb
18-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd charge to. It won't make any difference to parents as it's free place and you can't fill space as emergency contact like everyone has said. So it's like she is with you!!

Elodie X

LisaH
18-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I have 2 under 5's at nursery and both of their parents pay full fee whilst there. I am 1st contact if any probs and i wouldn't be able to fill the space anyway. They were happy to pay too:)

tulip0803
18-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I say that I charge if I am expected to drop off & collect or if the hours are required during school holidays. If they don't pay then I am not an emergency contact and I will not have the child if the nursery closes for the day.

Marie01
21-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for your advice!!

Roseolivia
21-02-2009, 11:34 AM
One of my mindees attends school nursery every afternoon but i still charge for the full day as i'm the emergency contact first (depending on what emergency is). Also you probably wouldn't get someone to fit in to the 2half hours that they're at nursery.