PDA

View Full Version : top tips from my inspection

taiwallis
18-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to all the help i have received over the months/years i got a great ofsted inspection, and thought i would pass on my top tips. PLEASE remember that every inspector is different and so what is one inspectors meat is another inspectors poison.

What i noticed they really particularly paid attention to:
- working in partnership with parents (they grilled 1 of my parents for 1/2 hr with door shut - she said they were very very thorough) - they asked if she understood my obs, and next steps etc
- working in partnership with other settings (this is HUGE) - you must go and see the settings, meet the teachers, read their paperwork, assess from their paperwork any areas of learning/development that your mindee is ahead or behind (in your setting/view) and pass that information back to the other setting - so that you can all work together to improve next steps/planning to enhance areas. (i hope that makes sense??)
- safeguarding children
- policies etc (all up to date, current for EYFS and your setting

oh - and the real BIGGY was - SEF - have you filled it - do you know it inside out - the section for improvements (in EVERY area) - have you actioned these improvements - if not why not - luckily i had but also for those i hadnt, i had written down action dates so they knew i was going to do it by a certain time!

I hope this helps anyone and i will write more when i think of it!

Monkey1
18-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you for that!

sarah707
18-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Those are great tips thank you! :D

Alibali
18-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Great tips.:)

breezy
18-02-2009, 06:34 PM
thank you :)

marion123
18-02-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks for that :)

huggableshelly
18-02-2009, 07:42 PM
oh oh ....

ty for the tips I'm off to carry on with my SEF

peanuts
18-02-2009, 07:44 PM
great tips

Ripeberry
18-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Sounds scary!

miffy
18-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

misst104
18-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Sounds scary!

Sounds REALLY scary :eek:

beerheaven
18-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the tips. My inspection is drawing ever closer! :eek:

jibberjitz
19-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for tips :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
19-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks- i think :eek: , xx

sammy
19-02-2009, 10:44 AM
re: visiting other settings, should i have to do this if a child attends nursery and i only have her for 4 hours a week. I did say to the parent that i think i may need to contact the nursery to discuss EYFS, and she wasnt interested and just said, surely its more paperwork for you, then said i wouldnt worry about it.

But not sure on how involved you have to get if only have them a few hours?

rickysmiths
19-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

Thanks to all the help i have received over the months/years i got a great ofsted inspection, and thought i would pass on my top tips. PLEASE remember that every inspector is different and so what is one inspectors meat is another inspectors poison.

What i noticed they really particularly paid attention to:
- working in partnership with parents (they grilled 1 of my parents for 1/2 hr with door shut - she said they were very very thorough) - they asked if she understood my obs, and next steps etc
- working in partnership with other settings (this is HUGE) - you must go and see the settings, meet the teachers, read their paperwork, assess from their paperwork any areas of learning/development that your mindee is ahead or behind (in your setting/view) and pass that information back to the other setting - so that you can all work together to improve next steps/planning to enhance areas. (i hope that makes sense??)
- safeguarding children
- policies etc (all up to date, current for EYFS and your setting

oh - and the real BIGGY was - SEF - have you filled it - do you know it inside out - the section for improvements (in EVERY area) - have you actioned these improvements - if not why not - luckily i had but also for those i hadnt, i had written down action dates so they knew i was going to do it by a certain time!

I hope this helps anyone and i will write more when i think of it!

I am outraged at this the inspector is there to inspect me not my parents! Feedback if they happen to see them picking up or dropping off (mine said she was going to ring my parents but never did). Not a full blown interrigation. I would have said something about that.!!!!!!:eek: Actually I think my parent would have said something, I can't imagine them allowing that to happen.

The working with schools is a difficult one, my local reception works on the basis that they deliver the whole of EYFS. They are not interested in sharing detailed planning. They are only interested if there are issues and then they will only discuss this with the parent and not me because their relationship is with the parent and not me. This isn't a very helpful attitude is it?

Thanks for all your other tips.

sarah707
19-02-2009, 06:38 PM
re: visiting other settings, should i have to do this if a child attends nursery and i only have her for 4 hours a week. I did say to the parent that i think i may need to contact the nursery to discuss EYFS, and she wasnt interested and just said, surely its more paperwork for you, then said i wouldnt worry about it.

But not sure on how involved you have to get if only have them a few hours?

You need to get as involved as the other setting will let you and document what you have done to try and share information.

If you are doing 4 hours with the child then you are aiming to complement the care s/he receives elsewhere so you need to find out what that care is, if that makes sense.

This seems a bit daft for such a part time child but it is in the Eyfs so it is something we have to do as best we can.

if the other setting refuse to talk to you / share information with you, then Ofsted say you must document that as well.

hth :D