PDA

View Full Version : Book storage?

miss mopple
18-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Just wondering what you all use?

I have loads of books, and at the minute they are in a normal bookcase in the playroom. It takes up alot of space though and Im wondering about maybe condensing it down a bit and using something else so I can get rid of the bookcase. I want to invest in new trofast units and totally redo the playroom so am looking for a smaller solution to storing books.

Any ideas?

Angela234
18-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a large bookcase in my dining room with 2 selves of books on ones i want to supervise very young ones with and the other 3 sheles and top have puzzles and games.

In the lounge i keep a large plastic storage box of baby and toddler books in an area with large cushions which is over flowing (this box goes into the play room at weekends)

I also have a pull out storage box on wheels with books in under the table in the play room for children to help themselves to.

I have some upstairs in the spare bedroom cupboard that i rotate

Angela

amirose
18-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Just wondering what you all use?

I have loads of books, and at the minute they are in a normal bookcase in the playroom. It takes up alot of space though and Im wondering about maybe condensing it down a bit and using something else so I can get rid of the bookcase. I want to invest in new trofast units and totally redo the playroom so am looking for a smaller solution to storing books.

Any ideas?

I saw this in Argos recently, it may not be what your looking for but I thought it was pretty cool http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8754152/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C12107022/c_2/2%7Ccat_12107022%7CStorage%7C12107023/c_3/3%7Ccat_12107023%7CChildren%27s+storage+and+toy+bo xes%7C12107034.htm its got a section for books at the top :thumbsup:

daisychainqueen
18-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I use this in my playroom, attached to the wall.

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/our%20toddler%20playroom/Large-Gallery-Bookshelf/10000000100

and then swop the books with others stored in another room, every week or so.

It's nice to see the front of books for a change, nice easy access for the little ones who use it constantly.

nannysue
18-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I do the same, there is a large cupboard in the toy room crammed full of books, and in the lounge i have a large wicker basket ( also surrounded by large cushions) , these books are changed around on a regular basis but there are some real favourites that are never moved out of the basket!!

I would love a unit similar to that one so that all the books can be accessable, there was one on ebay (ex nursery) but it was pick up only:(

Polly2
18-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I have the trofast ikea units and have not bought the buckets for the bottom shelf so my books slide in nicely and are accessable for the kids.

Alibali
18-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Toddler books in a box, comes out at story time. Other books on top of my sideboard with lovely bookends. More books on my corner shelving in the kitchen. 3 bookcases upstairs and top shelf of my wardrobe is full of books - oh and then there is dds bedroom floor:laughing: :laughing:

miss mopple
18-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I use this in my playroom, attached to the wall.

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/our%20toddler%20playroom/Large-Gallery-Bookshelf/10000000100

and then swop the books with others stored in another room, every week or so.

It's nice to see the front of books for a change, nice easy access for the little ones who use it constantly.

oooh thats lovely! May well go with that if I have enough wall space.

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:

sonia ann
18-02-2009, 06:58 PM
My solution was to buy a plastic fold out airer from Argos, I split it into two and made two fabric covers to slide over the top of each half. Each cover has four rows of net pockets stiched to it. The books are then held forward facing for the children to see properly and I can fold up the frames and store easily at the end of the day.(I would include a picture of it for you but have no idea of how to do that!)
Sonia:)

helenlc
18-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Thats very clever idea Sonia - I might try that myself. Although a little peeved as I recently threw one out when I got my new airer :angry:

My books are currently on one shelf in a big shelving unit but quite crammed in. I also have some in the cupbaord and rotate them round. But I would like them to be more easily accessible to the children.

sonia ann
18-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I have found the children use the books much more now than when they were in boxes or on a shelf, and it works out a lot cheaper than " proper book racks":)

miffy
18-02-2009, 09:58 PM
My solution was to buy a plastic fold out airer from Argos, I split it into two and made two fabric covers to slide over the top of each half. Each cover has four rows of net pockets stiched to it. The books are then held forward facing for the children to see properly and I can fold up the frames and store easily at the end of the day.(I would include a picture of it for you but have no idea of how to do that!)
Sonia:)

What a brilliant idea! If I was any good at sewing I'd pinch it :)

Miffy xx

peanuts
18-02-2009, 10:49 PM
i have 2 bookcases, one in my sons room for older books and reference books and one in my girls room, this has from baby books to things like horid henry, jackeline wilson books ect