PDA

View Full Version : Learning journeys for part time children

Monkey1
18-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Is there anywhere in the eyfs guide that states how many hours a child needs to be with you per week that you have to provide a learning journey? I can't see it. I am bogged down with paperwork at the moment......think i'm doing too much to be honest! I have 7 learning journeys on the go at once! One child comes for 8 hours a week and one comes for just 4 hours. What do you suggest?

sarah707
18-02-2009, 11:07 AM
The only thing the Eyfs says is -

All providers have an equally important role to play in children’s early years experiences – for example, a childminder who sees a child for two hours a day should consider what a child’s individual needs are at that time of day, and ensure that the provision they deliver is both appropriate to those needs and complementary to the education and care provided in the child’s other setting(s). All types of providers have the potential to deliver the EYFS to an excellent standard.

There are no other clues about what you should and should not be doing.

I would say if you are showing a progression, making notes from parents comments, talking about what they like to do and showing you are aware of the Eyfs for their age and stage, then you are doing the right things.

It is easy to get sucked into doing too much because you look at the full timers books and think the part time ones look really lame in comparison. Then you have to remember the child is only with you for such a limited time and you can't be superwoman every day.

Why not try and get a photo every other visit, write up a wow sheet and make notes of what he likes to do...? Make it nice and colourful and get him to do lots of colourings / take photos of his artwork or crafts to bulk it out a bit and cut back on the writing... Also jot down his comments on what he has done at the time... the more you can do when the children are happy and playing the better.

hth xx

:D

Monkey1
18-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Thank you Sarah x x x x

patevans
18-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a 1 year old who only comes in 12.30 - 2.30 one week and 1-5.30 the following week I said to the inspector I only do obs on the late week bcos she just sleeps on the early week - she said u can only do ur best!!

Kat
18-02-2009, 01:25 PM
hi,
During the course I got reply that if the child is only with you you are primary carer and need to do obs etc but doesnt have to be so much like full time... Any way waht you can do if you have child for 4 hour a week during the meal and sleap time .... :D

SmartKids
19-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm in the same situation - and have questioned the same. I have been advised to write somewhere in their learning journey the number of hours and days that child attends your setting - I write it on my overview sheet. And, if you only have them for 4 hours a week you won't be able to cover every area the same as having a child for 4 hours, 3 days a week. Hope this makes sense - as it took a lot of pressure of me trying to cover all areas every few weeks on such a part-time child

Jules27
25-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I have one little boy for 6 hours a week over 2 mornings, one of which we are at toddlers so he is only at my house for 3 hours a week. I do have a learning journey for him but tbh, theres not a huge amount in it, a few obs (I do 1 or 2 a month) and some photos of him doing various activiies and some examples of his work - mainly colouring coz thats what he likes to do above anything else!!!!:D

wendywu
25-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I have 7 learning journeys on the go. Problem is i dont like them to look empty so feel that i am doing too much for the times that they are here. :panic:

PixiePetal
25-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I have 6 to do.

One child is here for 3 hours a week and we go to toddler group. Try and get photo if she plays with something different/makes something at the craft table etc and write briefly about it and what we might do next.

Another child on same morning but with lunch before hometime - 4 hours. Same for him. He only comes for his social life as he made friends with another child in my care, mum does not work that day!

Other 4 mindees do 2 days a week. Get a bit more done with them:thumbsup:

Mollymop
25-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a child who is here only 6 hours a week, he is not under eyfs cos he is 6 but I still keep him a folder of photos and bits he has done here.
Can you just write up one ob a month on the all the EYFS children and put any art work and photos in their folders?

Helen79
25-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I have a child who is only with me 6 hours a week. I do a learning journey for him but I only have 2 children on my books at the moment so have the time to do it. I do one planned activity that I write an obs on a week & do another 1 or 2 other obs a week.