PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happens at your pre reg visit?

mumrin
18-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I am nervous about the whole ofsted thing. I know they say the pre reg is nothing to worry about its just a chat. But what will they want to know/ see?

I have finished my policies, I know them might not want to see these though.

What are the kind of things they will ask? Will they want to see the upstairs of my home, even though I wont be registering it? Will they look inside my cupboards in the kitchen? Will they venture outside?

Do I need a wish list and action plan to show them?

Sorry for the questions, but i like to be a least a little prepared :blush:

Ripeberry
18-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Depends on who you get. Some inspectors want to look everywhere even in your own bedroom (mine did), but she did not open cupboards and asked me to show what cupboards had child locks on them.
The thing they seem to concentrate on is your understanding of the EYFS and how to observe children and what toys you would use (they did not look at my toys)
They will check your garden (i had to make mine go out to look at the pond).
If you have your own children though, i would recommend that they be elsewhere when the visit is on as my daughter aged 6yrs was messing around the whole time and asking when the lady was going to go away! :blush:
I was quite nervous as well and totally forgot to offer a cup of tea the whole time she was here (3hrs)
Make sure you ask for ID before letting them through the door! They like that :)

amirose
18-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Mine barely looked around - she went in every room (including my bedroom she even asked to see inside the hall cupboard :eek: ) but it was just a glance.
She barely flicked through my parent pack (which includes my policies) but picked out a couple of pages and quizzed me on the to see if I knew them (for instance how long is your sickness exclusion policy). She was pleased to see it though.
I got asked to show her my toys and then asked for nearly everyone what age group it was for, because I was nervous I was like err err lol so be prepared lol! She also asked what the six areas of learning were and my mind went blank!
Mine stayed for about 3 and a half hours, oh she also asked about my work history and my CV is a wee bit exaggerated therefore had trouble remembering what I'd put :laughing:
She will ask you lots about yourself (that's what shes there for!) so no harm thinking about what you'd like to say.
Mine was only going to register me for three children which I thought it was unfair and challenged her on it (at the pre-reg!) she made me measure the front room and said she was going to discuss it with her 'manager' however she imagined he would agree as it was down to floor space not the size of the room. I said that's fine but if you only register me for three I will appeal it the next day she rang back to say she'd register me for four :littleangel:

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ANYTHING JUST MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM!

Good luck!

Mollymop
18-02-2009, 10:32 AM
When i had my pre-reg my inspector looked everywhere, but just quick glances.
The meeting was a bit like an interview really, where there was a lot of chat and she asked me lots of questions about how I would look after the children.
She asked me what course Ihad done, where I had worked previously, how much I drink a week, if I smoke or on meds and if I take drugs for recreational purposes.
She didn't want to see any off the paperwork I had already done
I did a To Do list to show her what I wanted to purchase and what i needed to do before and when I became registered
But don't worry about it too much, it is very laid back. Most inspectors are really very nice xx

Jen4Kids
18-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Mine is happening at 9.30am tuesday so ill let you know then :thumbsup:

mumrin
18-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh eck, I feel a little nervous now. I didnt expect the pre - reg to last that long :panic:

I will certainly have to cram in the eyfs then and i've still not quite fully understood it.

Thanks for your replies

angeldelight
20-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Dont be nervous they are there to guide and support you

Hope it goes ok keep us posted

Angel xx

Tatjana
20-02-2009, 04:27 PM
My inspector said he would look around, but left without looking anywhere at all. He was here for only 1.5hrs so it really does depend on who you get.

He read through my policies and other paperwork and said he didn't have to ask me as many questions as he could get the answers from there!

I would love to get the same one for my grading inspection!

xx