PDA

View Full Version : help needed taining puppy

marion123
18-02-2009, 09:44 AM
as some of you know we got my son a beagle pup for christmas well we need help training her she is great doesnt bit but has started chewing my rug, taking the mindees socks and generally being naughty we have tried getting her into training classes but as soon as we say she is a beagle they say no places available we know they are subben little dogs but we need help we even bought some dvds to help us we have started using a plastic bottle with coins in when she is naughty we shake it but she thinks even that is a game she is has got lets of attention and lots of toys can anyone help me

amirose
18-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Man puppies are hard work, I have 2 dogs (both whippets) my first was a puppy Jade who I got at 7 weeks and I swear I would NEVER do that again!!! Your clue is Aleigh my second dog came to me at a year when all the training had been done for me!!!

Jade was a nightmare, constantly peeing on the floor, barking for attention, wrecking my stuff, refusing to let me sleep, running off, biting my bf's feet constantly and she nearly got me evicted because she barked the place down if I went out without her - argh you bought it all flooding back!!!:panic:

I had a lady come out to do training in the home and it was a total waste of money (some trainers are great but this one was not!) - ultimately Jade just grew up - exactly like a baby.

You do have to be persistent and when I say persistent I mean more than them and that's tough! One thing that worked for us was Jade loved our attention - she craved it - so the best way for us to discipline her was to take the attention away. If she wrecked something, nipped us or did ANYTHING we didn't like she was put out the room for a couple of minutes then let back in if she did it again she went back out (as I say we had to be more persistent than her!) it did work.

My other dog is a perfect angel :littleangel: !!!

You have my deepest sympathy as I totally emphasise with how stresull a puppy can be!

hugs
Ami

Daftbat
18-02-2009, 10:14 AM
As you may have seen from previous posts i have a german shepherd puppy and we have done lots of training. I hope some of this may help.

First - use an anti biting spray which you can get from pet shops to spray around the legs of furniture etc.
We found the best methods of training involved a food reward which can then be phased out. Get a training treat bag which can be fastened to you waistband of your trousers etc and fillit with pea sized treats - cheese, ham, hot dog sausage as well as some ordinary dried food. i.e. anything he will love. Then use the treats when he does what you want him to do e.g if he is biting furniture hold the treat at the end of his nose and lead him away from it, get him to sit and then give the treat. After a while he should et the idea that movong away from the thing he is doing wrong means getting a reward. My dog will get hold of socks etc and i still use this method. Its important to gradually phase out the treats and do intermittant other rewards such as a good fuss or telling him he is being good. Eventually you can get him to do most things just to get a fuss rather than a treat but its important that you reward the good behaviour and ignore the bad so instead of shouting at him to stop something use a distraction and then reward (sounds familiar doesn't it!).:laughing:

Seriously though, don't give up, and resign yourself to the fact that you have to train everyday forever if you want a dog to behave. Do some other fun training with him too so that he doesn't just associate treats with him doing something mundane like giving up someones sock.

Good luck - hope it helps:thumbsup:

marion123
18-02-2009, 12:31 PM
thanks for the replys im going to start today so will let you know how i get on

happytotschildminding
18-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Ooooh the memories come flooding back!!!! Our labrador will be 2 this summer and I've lost count of the times I've said he's going back!!! (The anti-chew spray didn't work for him!:angry: ) Have to say though he's alot calmer now. When he was a puppy he used to get more attention than our baby!
Good luck with the training - it'll get easier
Carol

marion123
18-02-2009, 02:16 PM
The anti-chew spray doesnt work for her either she just licks it she doesnt chew the furniture its just my rug and the mindees socks we play with her all the time and so its not as if she isnt getting attention she gets it all i could do lots of obs on her and next steps(:laughing: ) she is a sleep at moment so we are having peace its just like having another baby in the house when we tell her off she just sits down and then looks at you with her big brown eyes then 10mins later she is at it again running around with a sock in her mouth yesterday if anyone was watching me they would have thought i was a nutter she was running around the table and me chasing her it wasnt funny but the mindees thought it was

amirose
18-02-2009, 02:32 PM
The anti-chew spray doesnt work for her either she just licks it she doesnt chew the furniture its just my rug and the mindees socks we play with her all the time and so its not as if she isnt getting attention she gets it all i could do lots of obs on her and next steps(:laughing: ) she is a sleep at moment so we are having peace its just like having another baby in the house when we tell her off she just sits down and then looks at you with her big brown eyes then 10mins later she is at it again running around with a sock in her mouth yesterday if anyone was watching me they would have thought i was a nutter she was running around the table and me chasing her it wasnt funny but the mindees thought it was

Well ... Jade is four now and STILL steals occasionally :blush: don't get me wrong no where near as bad as she used to but she is definitely a great thief. At least you don't have a whippet have you any idea how more stupid you look chasing the second fast dog in the world around the house :laughing:
Actually do have a great tip for this one - I pick up something else and pretend its the most interesting thing in the world (trust me you will still look less stupid than chasing her!) - I always find when I do this Jade drops what she has and comes to see what I have got, then I quickly nab back the stolen goods - Me 1 Jade 0 :laughing:

marion123
18-02-2009, 02:38 PM
thanks for that i will try that later when she wakes up and we have round five :laughing: im going to win this time :laughing: hope it works will let you know how i get on

Polly2
18-02-2009, 03:21 PM
ahhhhhhhh and she looks so sweet and innocent on your picture!!

My cocker spaniel chewed through our front door and wee-d on my sofa constantly for attention.

Thank goodness she grew out of it :laughing:

Now she is a lazy thing and lies in her bed until walky time!

Minstrel
18-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont have dogs but i LOVE The Dog Whisperer! He's amazing so if you have sky (usually sky 1 or 3) i'd recommend you watch it. Lots of tips and works every time.

good luck with the puppy training x

Princess Sara
18-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm more of a cat person but apparently a spray bottle with water in works wonders. Whenever they do something you do not like, spray it in their face (not directly in their eyes, aim for their nose) and say NO! I offered this advise to my mother because her dog is constantly barking at people... she never tried it though so we don't know if it works!

Feed then after you have had you dinner, do not let them sleep on your funiture/bed, make them sit and wait for everything... There was a good TV programme about dogs a while back, I forget what it was called though.

Saranotts
19-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Ooooh the memories come flooding back!!!! Our labrador will be 2 this summer and I've lost count of the times I've said he's going back!!! (The anti-chew spray didn't work for him!:angry: ) Have to say though he's alot calmer now. When he was a puppy he used to get more attention than our baby!
Good luck with the training - it'll get easier
Carol

I thought I was the only one!! We have a choc lab who will be 2 in August and while he is a lovely natured dog, he is a so and so for stealing off the surface ..... including yesterday the wooden engraved love spoon that my dh bought for our anniversary!!!!!!!!! He was definately going back when I found that with the end chewed! He has also taken to sneaking upstairs (he is not allowed up there) and spraying outside our daughters bedroom........eeeuuuuuuwwww. I have bought a dog deterrent air spray but he just thinks that's a cue to jump around and bark and being a lab a water deterrent would be useless. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful.

So Marion you have my sympathy.

Sara

marion123
19-02-2009, 11:43 AM
well yesterday she was being a pain yet again anyway we got some grated cheese she she loved it only a tiny bit rolled up in a ball every time she was naughty pinching sock we shouted her name she came with sock in mouth shown her the cheese she sat dropped the sock and ate the cheese so we will carry that on for a couple more days then hopefully she might stop eating the socks :laughing: she will probably get fat instead :laughing: but its a start :)

PixiePetal
19-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Keep it up! Remember you are the pack leader - as Cesar Milan says!! :laughing: :laughing:

My Labrador (who I was given as a 21st birthday present by my boss - when I was a nanny living in) used to jump and take underwear from the washing line all the time. Worst moments were when she took their lodgers washing from their line in the night when I let her out last thing. I spent ages hunting the garden for various items of undies in the dark with a torch. Don't think they ever found out :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

marion123
19-02-2009, 11:56 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
when im putting washing in the machine ive got to put the underwear in first as she like to get them not good when it knickers in her mouth and on her head :laughing:

FizzysFriends
19-02-2009, 02:35 PM
well yesterday she was being a pain yet again anyway we got some grated cheese she she loved it only a tiny bit rolled up in a ball every time she was naughty pinching sock we shouted her name she came with sock in mouth shown her the cheese she sat dropped the sock and ate the cheese so we will carry that on for a couple more days then hopefully she might stop eating the socks :laughing: she will probably get fat instead :laughing: but its a start :)

I did this, my dog still steals but brings the items straight to me and waits for a treat.

Twinkles
19-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I'm sorry but you're all wrong - I've got the naughtiest puppy in the world :laughing:

She's a 14wk old 'Shnauzador' she is completely clueless when it comes to doing toilet outside - in fact she thinks I'm joking
' What go in the garden ? - yuck ! '
She raids the kitchen bin , eats plastic wherever possible , nicks the cat food - so much yummier than hers , she thinks she owns the sofas , she has eaten at least THREE pairs of my shoes :panic: , she has stolen a dirty nappy and spread the contents around the kitchen - eeww !
She hangs off trouser legs and sleeves and anything with a tassle is fair game. She too loves ' helping' with the washing - yummy !

And perhaps worst of all thinks she's Tigger and bounces my very elderly cats. ( They are so not impressed ! )

Good job she's absolutely adorable or she may have ended up being sent back to her mum :rolleyes: