PDA

View Full Version : An enquiry...almost fell off my chair!

bubbly
31-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Almost died of shock today - I had an enquiry :clapping:

Parents are moving to the city in a couple of months and have 2 children to place. I have places available for both. Unfortunately I'm in direct competition with another childminder who has tons more experience and a car. Parents are visiting us both. Doubt I'll get the kids but it's nice to have an enquiry at long, long last and a little bit more experience for me :)

avril
31-01-2008, 09:23 PM
good luck and fingers crossed

Avril:laughing:

Lou
31-01-2008, 09:24 PM
good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sarah707
31-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh fab news... when are they coming? :D

charleyfarley
31-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Good luck and fingers crossed for you

Carol xx

Tily Bud
31-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Good luck hope it goes well.

Dont write yourself off a car and experience arent every thing sometimes it boils down to who the parents feel they can get on with the most x

Mollymop
31-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Good luck Bubbly, think positively, they might choose you. There's lots of competition near me and the newer ones still manage to get mindees ok, plus a lot of them don't drive.

Hope you get it!!

bubbly
31-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you everyone :)

The parents are visiting tomorrow morning. I've got my folder (policies, welcome pack, certificates etc) ready and waiting.

I have a driving licence but haven't driven for years. Passed my test but never kept it up. I need to do a refresher course and buy a car but finances wont allow right now. The parents want the kids to go to a tots group across the other side of the city so obviously transport will be an issue. I've explained to them on the phone but they still want to visit. Fingers crossed.

Angela234
31-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I hardly ever drive haven't used the car for minding for over a year hubby has it. I take the children on the bus they love it, new experiance for most of them every one drive nowadays.
Good luck

Angela

angeldelight
31-01-2008, 10:03 PM
fingers crossed for you

good luck

angel xx

kaz1501
31-01-2008, 10:07 PM
good luck!:)
Karen

sarah32
31-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Good luck

sarah

peggy
31-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Almost died of shock today - I had an enquiry :clapping:

Parents are moving to the city in a couple of months and have 2 children to place. I have places available for both. Unfortunately I'm in direct competition with another childminder who has tons more experience and a car. Parents are visiting us both. Doubt I'll get the kids but it's nice to have an enquiry at long, long last and a little bit more experience for me :)

hey dont put yourself down! Just coz the other minder has tons of experience doesnt mean that the parents will click with them!! And that goes a long way before experience, this minder can have all the experience and certificates under the sun, but if the parents get on with you and feel more comfortable and can see their child with you then they'll likely to choose you!

Good luck!!!!!!!! Hope it all goes well for you!!!

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey that can be a selling point - you can tell them that although you are currently not driving you feel you can show the children the benefits of using public transport (eco friendly, developing independence etc) and walking.

Believe in yourself and be positive. Experience (and a car) isn't everything, it comes down to who they gel with the best.

Good luck and lets us know how it goes

Lou
31-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey that can be a selling point - you can tell them that although you are currently not driving you feel you can show the children the benefits of using public transport (eco friendly, developing independence etc) and walking.

Believe in yourself and be positive. Experience (and a car) isn't everything, it comes down to who they gel with the best.

totally agree, all the best xxx

peggy
31-01-2008, 10:45 PM

i agree also! Walking to school and to the shops has always gone down well for me, parents like it specially if they are regular car users, so much can be learnt from just doing that - and a trip on a bus if they are car users will be a novelty for the children they will prob enjoy the experience!!!! xxxxxx

ajs
31-01-2008, 11:37 PM
and never ever sell yourself short

they may prefer someone new to the job who isn't set in her ways and is still trying to get established
there's a lot to be said for new childminders after all you have gone through much more rigorous testing than we did when i registered nearly 8 years ago

crazybones
01-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Good luck and dont worry about the car. I never use mine, cant fit them in.
Public transport and walking fits into load of catagories and policies re childminding.

:thumbsup: Annie x

mrsbumbles
01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Good luck, ive got my fingers crossed for you, keep us posted on the outcome x

emler
01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Good luck! Don't worry about not driving. I don't drive and all my parents are delighted that their kiddies get exercise every day with me.

Emler x

Rubybubbles
01-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Just a quick one , got my fingers crossed for you hun, when I first started there was lots of childminders and a full day care setting, parents will go for who they gel with, feel comfortable with, good luck xx

LittleMissSparkles
01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Good Luck for today , believe in yourself honey xxxx

berkschick
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Good luck, will be thinking of you.

bubbly
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone. Means a lot to me that you care and offer support. It's so nice :)

bubbly
01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
The meeting went well and both the mum and kids were lovely. A really nice family. She's visiting 3 childminders today so we'll have to wait and see. It's restored my faith in the fact that nice kids DO exist, even if she doesn't choose me. I feel slightly more at peace with the world once more :D

I'd love to be able to give my temporary mindee her notice as I really don't gel with this child AT ALL!!! She's just spent the last hour and a half screaming my house down just for the sake of it, waking the baby who also started screaming with fright. She's clingy and expects me to be her slave giving me orders to do this, that and the other :angry: . I hate to admit it openly but I just don't like her. Does that make me a bad person? I feel awful as I'm supposed to like kids. She's just got me to carry a big, heavy tub of cars and the car mat into the lounge for her to play with. I get everything set up and she says, "I don't want to play with them" :angry: :panic: :angry:

Are childminders allowed to tie kids to trees in the garden and leave 'em there til collection time? :D

emler
01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh you have made me laugh Bubbly! If Theresa was here she'd say "lock them in a cupboard!" ha!ha!
Hope the afternoon goes quickly for you. (And I hope the parents choose you!)

Emler x

deeb66
01-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I am glad to hear that it went well and hopefully they will choose you.

It is perfectly normal not to 'click' with every child you look after.

I have over the years looked after a few that I haven't clicked with but of course have tried to make sure that they don't know this and that they are treated the same as the other children.

Good luck

angeldelight
03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Glad it went well hope they get back to you ?

Angel xx