View Full Version : Advice needed re: car insurance??????

17-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi all,my wonderful dh has just bought me a new car (vauxhall Zafira). I know that when I start minding I will have to change my insurance but I spoke to my car insurance company and was told that I will need commercial class insurance :( I thought we just have to have business class :confused:
Can anyone out there enlighten me please? and does the change in insurance cost alot more do you know?
Hope this makes sense!!! thank you x x x

17-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I only have buisness class and it didnt cost me anything extra.

17-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I was also told when I renewed mine with Norwich Union that I would just need business use insurance, and it didn't cost any extra. x:)

17-02-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage35d5df1a.aspx?Map=04004C80D1C36CC8A2237 4BBB1F9CEE0
The motor cover a childminder needs at a competitive price. NCMA members get:

Automatic cover for carrying the childminded children
Automatic quality five-seat courtesy car
Automatic replacement of child car seats (up to £200 each) after any accident.
Optional keenly priced RAC breakdown cover.
For more information, or a quote, complete a quote request form (a new website window will open) or call 0800 854124.

17-02-2009, 08:39 PM
ugh I meant to add to the above post .... give them a call to get a quote, find out what is covered then go back to the insurer you are with and compare the two.

I'm with Churchill and also drive a zafira

17-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi thank you for your quick replies,the woman I spoke to said that business class is just for going to and from more than 1 place of work I am really confused now!!!! I have just paid an extra £90 for my new insurance!!!!:angry: for my new car I don't want to have to pay alot more when I get registered!!!

17-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm insured with Churchill it was £120 cheaper than Motor Minder (they are Blue Fin now) and I found their paper work left a lot to be desired. What is most amazing is that for a 'specialist' childminding service, childminding is not mentioned in their policy documents or on the certificates!!!

I was only with them for 18mth was with Churchill before that and they never increased my insurance because I am a childminder.

17-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks rickysmiths ,are you on business class insurance?

17-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes I have buisness insurance to cover me, the children and the car seats(up to £200 per seat as many as you have fitted in the car at the time of an accident) for childminding.

I paid £15 extra to insure that I get a car that will enable me to carry on working if mine has to be repaired. This is one of the other reasons I left motorminder they wanted £45 extra and it still wasn't crystal clear what you would get-I have heard that from other Childminders as well.

19-02-2009, 11:31 AM
ive just taken out business class 1 insurance as they said i would be covered with the kids in the car and thats what they told me i neeeded??

19-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I am insured with Morton Michel and they are really good. The price is good and they are lovely.
I broke down twice (within a couple of hours) with all the babies in the car when it was snowing and the company they use sent someone out within 20 mns which I thought was brilliant (especially as it was snowing).
I am fully insured for business purpose. They specialise in childminders insurances.

Elodie X