PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Childminding in couple of weeks after 9 months off!

vix84
17-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Im returning to Childminding after finnishing my maternity leave, and am having a little panic incase I have missed something important!
I was only Childminding for 9 months before I was off with Max, and then they changed to EYFS - so I have tried to keep up to date, but I need to re-read the books etc.

So far the obvious things I am thinking of is:
Pay and get Public Liability
Register with Environmental health - get the coloured chopping boards and see what else needs to be done
Re-do risk assesments
Fresh copies for fire drills and daily checklists etc.
Generally de-clutter

And ............ not panic!:eek: I have a very demanding 8 month old (who touch wood is actually easier when other children are around) and I never seem to have an empty washing basket! I really need to get organised!

I also need to ask for a variation in numbers as in a few weeks there is an 11 month old needing to start - 2 afternoons for 3 hours, but I have my son Max who is 8 months.
I have had a call about having a 1 year old for 1 afternoon a week.
Then I wont have another one untill May - and will need another variation as he will be 10 months and Max will be a month short of a year!
So really, I will only be working a few afternoons untill May when my full-time term time only child starts.

Im panicing slightly now!

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 08:31 PM
sounds like you are doing well and getting back intot he swing of things.

dont worry about the wash basket I've not seen an empty one for umm 8 years lol.

Good Luck with juggling everything and welcome back intot he childmidning world of never ending ummm fun!

vix84
17-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks - I think my son is the most demanding little child I have ever met or looked after, Im hoping he will crawl soon and be less frustrated, wishfull thinking! So I think I should have enjoyed the Childminding without my own whilst it lasted!

I havent even started my SEF (is that the name:panic: ) and dont even really know what it is - except it is long!
I got inspected last January - but am I right in thinking that everyone got put back into the basket from the September just gone - so I could be inspected again at any time?
I was thinking it would be best to do my sef once I am back into the swing of it all in a couple of months time - or in the summer when Im on holiday - but hope I wont get inspected before I have chance to do it!

Oh, and I also need to look back at all those leters Ofsted kept sending about the early years register etc. and all the changes they kept making - I must have about 20 leters as they changed it so often!

Shar
17-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, don't worry too much. Ring Ofsted and ask for a variation for the short time you need it. Good luck.:thumbsup:

vix84
17-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, don't worry too much. Ring Ofsted and ask for a variation for the short time you need it. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Do I need to also put it in writing?
And does anyone know how to write a variation? Do I just say the days and times I need it, or do I have to also say how I intend to meet the childrens needs?

jibberjitz
17-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Just wanted to say 'hi' and 'welcome back' :)

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 10:54 PM
you need to state the days times and the childrens ages for the time period you want the vairation for.

dont forget to include your reg number and sign it too.

I've done 2 sections of the seh now self evaluation form.
when you decide to do it visit Sarahs website and order the sef e-book,

I msut admit i had missed tuns out so I've scrapped the sef I started and started over using sarahs guidelines

do i get commission for pluggin sarahs e-books? lol