PDA

View Full Version : Male childminders

bbmack
17-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Afternoon

I am going to try and become a childminder by September, and have my name down for a few courses in the coming months.
I'm a male and was wondering whether my experience will be very different to females who have followed this career path?
I expect parents attitudes to be a little different. I'm a qualified primary school teacher and have taught at nursery and reception on supply and parents are often startled when picking their kids up from a man.
I half expect other men to guffaw behind their hands but that doesn't bother me one bit, I'm very secure in my self as a person and will be proud to follow a career path that will help me spend far more time with my new baby daughter.

Anyway I'd love to email any other male childminders just to pick their brains e.t.c. Any tips would be great too. :thumbsup:

Jules27
17-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck! Childminding does seem to be dominated by ladies, personally would have no problem leaving my child with a male minder

crazybones
17-02-2009, 06:09 PM
There are a few male childminders on here and I say go for it. A lot of children dont have a positive male role model so I think its a great thing. Also the best teachers my children have had have been male...dont know if that is a coincidence or not. Best of luck with it and welcome to the forum.

tulip0803
17-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Hello & welcome:)

There are a few minders on here that are male. And we have had a few join over the last few weeks so I am sure one of them will find this soon. Some work with wives others alone.

I think many parents would sometimes like male childcarers but they are difficult to come by.

Good luck

Trouble
17-02-2009, 06:13 PM
we had a male childminder up here and he was always full

i would send my son to him he was great:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

MissTinkerbell
17-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Good luck. As an ex p[rimary teacher myself I know about the importance of many children having a psoitive male role model and think that what you are doing is fantastic. I wouldn't have any problems leaving my three with a male childminder.

breezy
17-02-2009, 06:22 PM
There are a few male childminders on here and I say go for it. A lot of children dont have a positive male role model so I think its a great thing. Also the best teachers my children have had have been male...dont know if that is a coincidence or not. Best of luck with it and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Bones here( and that doesnt happen often!)

Welcome:)

sarah707
17-02-2009, 06:28 PM
My partner registered a while ago and I definitely see it as a plus for the business.

Welcome to the forum :D

Dotty
17-02-2009, 07:13 PM
My hubby and I trained together. We are now registered and we have received nothing but positive feedback. He did find the training tough - only because he was surrounded by ladies!!!!!

We both have this week off from our "normal" jobs and he is looking after a mindee for tomorrow (as I have to go out!!!) No problem with the parents, they think its great to have a male role model!!!

Good luck ! Let us know how you get on or if you need any more help.

:D

Ripeberry
17-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll do very well and be in great demand! Some people out there i'm sure are actively seeking a male role model for their children.

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 08:25 PM
You have a good start being a teacher too, Good Luck with your plans to childmind, it will be great to see more male minders.

I worked with a male nursery nurse a while back, he went on to be a "nanny" doesnt seem right using that word for him... you posting here makes me wonder what he is upto now. Time to make a call and see how he is doing.

Shelly

Mollymop
17-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I suppose there might be some people that would prefer a female childminder, but just some, not all and everyone.
There are lots and lots of male childminders out there. I am sure you would do really well in your new career.:clapping:
Good luck xx

mushpea
17-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Good for you and good luck , i am sure there are parents out there who's children don't have a male role model and would like you to care for their child. your work background should set you in good sted.

Shar
17-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, good luck and go for it!! My Network co-ordinator was a male Childminder and was very good at it. He only went on to become a Local Authority employee because he was offered a very good salary and he was a great role model for all childminders male & female.:thumbsup:

marion123
17-02-2009, 08:56 PM

i agree too my son really likes his male teachers better the the women ones good luck and children are in need of male role models (not many about)

gemhei
17-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I know a male childminder who goes to our toddler group, everyone includes him and treat him fairly. Personally i wouldnt have a problem leaving my children with a male minder, infact i think its nice for boys to have that male influence. My sons teacher is male (hes 6) and his behavior has improved leading to higher concentration levels and higher results in class. I cant thank him enough. You go for it, good luck.

bbmack
17-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, well thank you for the welcome. Blimey the replies come thick and fast on here:thumbsup:

First meeting in a few weeks, but all loking positive. I've only got a contract till the summer(covering maternity) so wont be taking a gamble work wise when I become a C.M.

May need to trade in my 3 door Fiesta though:)

Will let you know how it goes.

tulip0803
17-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Keep coming back & ask anything you like We will try our best to answer you.:thumbsup: Good luck

Yup - new car time! DH is pinching the Galaxy tomorrow & leaving me with

A 3 door fiesta:laughing:

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 10:48 PM
yup time to invest in a new car, my zafira is no longer big enough and my hubby will not let me have a minibus ugh lol, i now have to walk home from school 3 days a wk in all weather but still if its good enough for ducks then its good enough for me too.

Minstrel
17-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I think its wonderful and think more men should get involved in childcare professions as a whole.

My sons school are always encouraging dads to come in and talk to the children or help out. Not many take up the chance and i think thats a real shame. The men and the children would benefit a lot.

Great to see you on the forum! :D

bbmack
18-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone.

Looking into the future what is the best way for me to market myself for September?

Do you think my son's school will let me give out leaflets or put up a poster? I know them fairly well.

littlethistle
18-02-2009, 01:12 PM
great... good luck :thumbsup:

Spangles
18-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi

Just wanted to say good luck with the minding.

You can always ask at the school, you never know!

hbomb1
18-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I am trying to get my hubby to register - he is my assistant in emergencies, however would love for him to become my co-minder. The kids love it whenever he is at home, and he is better at the silly voices during storytime than me! :laughing:

My local school include details of the village childminders in their welcome pack for the nursery/reception intake each year. They also display a poster in the main entrance detailing childminders and I have a poster in the reception class window for parents to see.

Good luck bbmack :thumbsup: