PDA

View Full Version : Life cycles

Roseolivia
17-02-2009, 03:02 PM
My mindee was quite interested in how a butterfly becomes a butterfly last week so have decided to do a topic on lifecycles. Does anyone have any links to good websites or have any great activity ideas for this topic. My mindees are aged 4-8. Thanks

sarah707
17-02-2009, 03:44 PM
best start with 'The very hungry caterpillar'...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=the+very+hungry+caterpillar&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Then I just put caterpillar butterfly into Google and loads came up -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=caterpillar+butterfly&meta=

The enchanted learning link is good... as is dltk ...

Change your request to images and you can get lots of ideas there too!

Enjoy! :D

Roseolivia
17-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks will have a look

angeldelight
18-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Have fun

Angel xx

Trouble
18-02-2009, 07:12 PM
my crysalises still havent opened their on the window

i darent get rid incase they finally hatch

Dragonfly
18-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I have privot hawk pupae in my fridge!:clapping: ! too early in the year to put them in a butterfly house to do the next stage! by the way has anyone got a big butterfly house to sell or know where i can buy one? :idea: the ones you get with the free butterfly eggs are too small.

avril
18-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I printed off butterfly life cycle pictures off sparkle box last year that were quite good and my youngest mindee at the time was 1.5ys old and when I named the pictures egg, caterpillar etc... he would point to the pictures :thumbsup: BUT he did ignore the fact we had live caterpillars/butterflies in the net!!!:rolleyes:

sonia ann
18-02-2009, 08:42 PM
My garden was overun with cabbage white caterpillars last summer. The children and I had planted nasturtians in the border with the resulting appearance of hundreds of caterpillars! It led to hours of fun collecting them in pots and then returning them later. They decimated the plants but luckily I am not " garden proud". We now have a jar on the kitchen window sill with 4 pupae and are keeping our fingers crossed that they will hatch into "beautiful butterflies".
Sonia:)

rainbowmummy
06-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I've just come across this thread when looking for life cycle ideas...

Also wanted to mention that frogspawn into frogs is a good one as is babies into adults.