PDA

View Full Version : fire drill practice

Joannechildmind
17-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi

How do you all do a fire drill practice how do you make the younger ones understand what its for. We have spoke about fire and they know what the smoke alarm is for, it was utter bedlam the last time we did it they all thought it was excellent fun and one wanted to even go to the toilet before we went (even though id asked him 5 mins beforehand)

Just after some ideas.

Jo

Daftbat
17-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a diagram of the downstairs and upstairs of my house which has red arrows on it showing where we go. I always sit the children down and talk about the fire drill and pose questions to them - which by the way the older ones love - about why we keep low to the floor etc and i ask which way we should go out of the house if fires are in various rooms and what to do once we have left the house.

A while later i usually set the alarm off and see what happens - its always been quite orderly and i have always said that the little ones should take care of themselves and the older ones try to guide the smaller ones out. I have one child qith hearing problems so we have had to really make sure that the children appreciate communicating to one another if they hear the alarm.

I hope this helps

Allie
27-02-2009, 04:47 PM
When introducing new children to my setting we play the fire alarm game regularly with stickers for the fastest (everyone gets one)

With my regulars I practice every term as many times as it takes to ensure we could all get out ok in a real emergency

Allie

amirose
28-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I did this with M 5 yesterday. We read the fire drill (which is on the wall) together. Then we practiced it without setting off the fire alarm and then I said to M go in the other room and pretend to play with your toys then I set off the alarm - she freaked a bit but thought it was great (it was adorable she kept saying oh my goodness oh my goodness) we went outside and I called her name and got her to shout here (we must of looked mad standing in the street no shoes on shouting here :laughing: ) and I rang 999 - well pretended too!!!! I said well done lets go back inside and she looked at me really worried and said "But is the fire gone now" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

huggableshelly
28-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I found my first few a bit slow due to kddies wanting their shoes or grabbing their fav toys

once we had the frie engines out they understood it even more and we get out at a decent seepd now, the older one is ace, he drops everything and grabs a little ones hand and is usually the frst one to the door, he has permission to open the door in emergancies but he must shout me to tell me he is doing it so I'm aware the door is open .... I always know in practive but if a real fire was to break out i ned to know he has managed to get the door open all children follow and i make sure i am the last out with the youngest one.

will ahve to re-assess this when he moves on to senior school, sighs I'm sure going to miss him, he is such a wonderful child like having another grown up with me.

geraldine72
28-02-2009, 10:35 AM
we just practise once a month then it becomes less exciting for them and they just want to get it done and come back in and continue playing. again we discuss why we do this.

sparkibobs
28-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Doing mine this week. All mindees under 3!!
I've been noseying through this sight if it helps

http://www.preschooleducation.com/sfire.shtml

Depends on age though
x