PDA

View Full Version : What to do for pancake day for a mindee with egg allergy

amirose
17-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Hiya,

My mindee (my only mindee so far :( ) has an egg allergy and is allergic to eggs in a raw format however I wouldn't even dream of risking giving her a recipe that included eggs cooked or not just in case (her mum scares me :laughing: )

Anyway I was all excited when I realised I had M on pancake day then realised I wouldn't be able to make the pancakes with her :panic:

So... does anyone have any idea of something I could do for pancake day that doesn't involve eggs whatsoever? (because I'm stumped! :rolleyes: )

Ami

Blaze
17-02-2009, 08:09 AM
You can substitute a tablespoon of vegetable oil for an egg, in recipes, so you can all have pancakes afterall! For example if a recipe says 2 eggs then add 2 table spoons of mazola instead. (I think they taste nicer too)! :thumbsup: :)

sarah707
17-02-2009, 08:09 AM
The chef says you can make lovely pancakes just using flour and milk mixed to the right consistency where it is smooth and not too runny :D

amirose
17-02-2009, 08:45 AM
You can substitute a tablespoon of vegetable oil for an egg, in recipes, so you can all have pancakes afterall! For example if a recipe says 2 eggs then add 2 table spoons of mazola instead. (I think they taste nicer too)! :thumbsup: :)

Wow thanks guys had no idea you could do that! :clapping: Right will most definitely be making pancakes then!!!

Will let you know how they turn out!

Thanks
Ami

peanuts
17-02-2009, 09:33 AM
someone the other day posted an egg free pancake recipe i think

Mollymop
17-02-2009, 09:37 AM
great ideas!
You could also ask parents what they do

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 10:05 AM
wow I didnt know you could do egg free pancakes either, its something I've never had to consider .... I'm going to add that to my alternaitves menu folder ready for any future children who may have such allergies

Thankyou for asking the questions and thankyou for the replies too ..

HelenJC
17-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi

I posted receipe yesterday. Here it is again just in case.

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2 cups water (or milk)

Mix together and cook in hot oil or lard. I make small ones which are like scotch pancakes but tried larger ones and they work too.

My mindees prefer these now.

Helen

ps - doing these with 30 cubs cooking their own next week. Must be mad!!!:panic:

Blaze
17-02-2009, 12:19 PM

I don't eat eggs, so always substitute for mazola instead with every recipe I use that is meant to have eggs...those of you that went on the first Christmas meet will know my opinions on eggs!:blush:

amirose
17-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi

I posted receipe yesterday. Here it is again just in case.

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2 cups water (or milk)

Mix together and cook in hot oil or lard. I make small ones which are like scotch pancakes but tried larger ones and they work too.

My mindees prefer these now.

Helen

ps - doing these with 30 cubs cooking their own next week. Must be mad!!!:panic:

I completely missed your thread (I think there's a section somewhere I've missed!) but am very grateful for the recipe its a lovely simple one for M to follow too.

Thanks
Ami

gemhei
17-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Yep weve done this before and they went down a treat!