PDA

View Full Version : mains smoke alarms

fins mum
16-02-2009, 08:37 PM
hi guys im new to all this, so here goes. i know that by 2010 every childminder needs to have mains linked smoke alarms. i currently have battery operated smoke alarms. i am really worried thast getting the msains ones will be a complicated expensive job.....i feel that as much as its good to be safe it seems it has gotten more comlpicated to become a childminder in the last 10-15 years (my mum used to be one).Can anyone offer advice.

sarah707
16-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Sorry but where have you read about this ..? Can you give me a link to investigate please...

Oh and welcome to the forum :D

Trouble
16-02-2009, 08:54 PM
if they pay thats fine with me:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
16-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Where did you hear this info? I think they will a bit pushed to inforce something like this in a year!!!! :panic:

I had a fire check done by the local fire brigade last year they fitted brand new 10year battery life alarms (there was nothing wrong with the ones I had).

They never even mentioned about fitting mains ones.

Annie_T
16-02-2009, 09:05 PM
i ahve 2 mains supply smoke alarms .... was put in when house had its refurb (whole month of workmen arrgghh new kitchen, bathroom, toilet, wiring fencing and drive done)

the smoke alarms didnt take much work to put in tbh ... id recomend getting electrician to do it ...so maybe ring one local and see what they charge

fins mum
16-02-2009, 09:07 PM
im pre reg in scotland and have just had my first visit from the fire brigade, they say that by 2010 possibly even earlier. i trhink they ask that all new registrants have to hsve this done by the time registration is complete and exsisting childminders have to have this completed by april 2009. it seems strange that no one seems to have heard of this, maybe you are all from a different area? is there different requirments in different areas.

fins mum
16-02-2009, 09:10 PM
my concern apart from the cost is the mess, we moved house 2 yeqars ago and have just finished doing it all up...plastering walls and ceilings , now it may mean an electrician will have to come and tear it up!!! arrrrggghhh.

sarah707
16-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Maybe it's a Scottish thing??

PixiePetal
16-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Not heard that it will be compulsory for childminders, bit short notice if it is?!

Mine are mains linked but that's because we converted our loft to a playroom/den/craft room and it was fire regs for adding another floor.

rickysmiths
16-02-2009, 10:29 PM
im pre reg in scotland and have just had my first visit from the fire brigade, they say that by 2010 possibly even earlier. i trhink they ask that all new registrants have to hsve this done by the time registration is complete and exsisting childminders have to have this completed by april 2009. it seems strange that no one seems to have heard of this, maybe you are all from a different area? is there different requirments in different areas.

I can't see this being implemented as none of us have been informed that we have to do it. It must be a Scotland thing.

fins mum
17-02-2009, 08:35 AM
can i ask, if not too rude for those who have had it done is it expensive, and how expensive is it?