PDA

View Full Version : thinking of quiting while im ahead

Annie_T
16-02-2009, 03:50 PM
im not even reg'ed yet - off call them in mo

been to the council about my planning permission and they want me to pay £167 for my certificate of lawfulness and give them a site plan (why i dont know as not doing anything to the house) hours, days and how many children i will care for (tho i wrote this in my letter already - before forms were sent out) as well as the forms they sent me
ive explained i cant afford it as im a single parent on benefits

like i said to the lady how they expect me pay things like that when i only get £3 per per child when i start (going rate here as i think is most) i may as well just not bother with the planning lark all and work without it (i know i cant tho)

i was actually in tears .. so tbh i think i may not bother at all now .... i dint think it be like this to reg as a CM

lady at desk told me every CM has to do this ...so if you have not seeked planning permission from your local authority - sort it asap

Zoemum2four
16-02-2009, 04:03 PM
WHY !!!! I didnt do anything like that and im registered, maybe it somethink i missed.....but cant say i've heard off it.......Hopefully some1 can explain to both off us.......:(

Mollymop
16-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I am sure the woman you spoke to has no idea what she on about, or she has misunderstood! Speak to someone else.
POor you, don't give up just yet, cm's don't need planning permission

rickysmiths
16-02-2009, 04:12 PM
No that does not sound correct, not every childminder has to pay a fee to there local authority at all - I don't.

I live in my own house. I am restricted by planning from running a commercial business from the property because I live in a residential area. BUT that is the whole point on the restriction we have. NO MORE THAN 6 children. This is why Social Services and now OFSTED apply this .

It is to stop a childminder evolving into a day nursery or similar. It restricts the impact on your neighbours. Afterall how would you feel if someone set up some kind of commercial business and there were a load of lorries coming and going or similar.

I know a childminder who wanted to work with her husband and increase their numbers. They had a hard job getting the permission and it cost them quite a lot of money and even with all that they we not allowed to double their numbers.

I would ring the planning dept and ask to speak to a senior manager I'm sue you will find is is a misunderstanding.

Do you know any cms in your area? Is there a Childrens Centre near your they may be able to help. What about your local NCMA development worker ?

Did they not mention this at your intro meeting as a set up cost? Who ran those can you go and ask there?

Let us know how you get on but don't panic.:panic: :)

Trouble
16-02-2009, 04:13 PM
i didnt pay that :panic: :angry:

Blaze
16-02-2009, 04:13 PM
You don't need planning permission unless you have assistants! Woman should check her facts before upsetting people!:rolleyes:

Zoemum2four
16-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Annie T,
I've just been onto my local childminding assosiations (was worried i may have miss somethink when i first registered )and she said you dont need it( well in northampton) unless u have more than 3 people working at the permises but she also did say it may be worth you contacting either ur development worker or ur local childminding assosiation as this can change for other areas.... Hope this is of some help Zoe:)

Annie_T
16-02-2009, 04:19 PM
it stated in my booklet i got when i icp course (2007) that from 2005 july the office if deputy prime minister, the office standards and education (ofsted) and sure start unit sent a joint letter to all relevant places that reg'ed childminders to apply for planning permission from their local authority

the lady who i spoke to said she was a CM bout 10 years ago but gave up as it wasnt for her (wasnt sure to believe her or not)

planning permission needs to be seeked as the home is being used for a business purpose and changing from domestic to business purposes

been onto ofsterd .. according to lady i spoke to the comp states ive been waiting since 10th feb fro inspector to call me to release my cert !!!
told her i have 1 parents who needs my services like now - she has written this down and sending email to inspector, area manager (what ever that means) and someone else

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Think you need to invesigate some more Annie

Dont give up

Angel xx

HomefromHome
16-02-2009, 04:29 PM
sorry but this sounds like a load of rubbish!!!!
we are not commercial by any means cos we aint selling anythin!!!
we are self employed, working from home. that is it!
sounds like scaremongering to me!
when i changed my mortgage 18 months ago, it was known to them i was a childminder, working from home and nothing was brought up then.
i know you need to seek permission from council/housing assoc if you're renting but never have i heard of needing planning permission unless you're opening as a nursery which is a completely whole different kettle of fish anyway!!
i hope you get it sorted and arent put off - ofsted and your county childminding association (if you have one) should clear this up for you.:)

ruby
16-02-2009, 04:32 PM
we are with the CSSIW so not sure if its different with Ofsted.

I thought that planning premission only applied if you wanted more than the 6 registered children.

when i had my inspection two years ago she said that it was good that we already had premission to have 7 as if we wanted more than 6 now then we would have to apply for planning premission and that it would cost about £300.00 pounds to do so

I would double check this
cathy

rickysmiths
16-02-2009, 04:50 PM
You don't need planning permission unless you have assistants! Woman should check her facts before upsetting people!:rolleyes:

I have an assistant but as long as my numbers dont exceed 6 under 8s I don't need planning permission.

Spangles
16-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Doesn't sound right to me, check again.

Have you got a development officer you can check with or know other c/m's in your area you can ask?

louloudi
16-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh dear

I Live in council rented property and haven't registered or told them that I am running a business from my home :eek:

Do I need to???

tinkerbelle
16-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I have an assistant but as long as my numbers dont exceed 6 under 8s I don't need planning permission.

what iv got an assistant and im allowed 11 under 8's but no one has ever mentioned planning permission even when i moved house in 2007 it wasnt mentioned :panic:

manjay
16-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I think it is different depending on where you live. Where I am in Wales I had to provide a letter from the council planners to say I didn't need permission:panic:

mandy moo
16-02-2009, 08:11 PM
The only thing Ive read (sorry cant remember where:( ) you may have to Tell/Ask your mortgage or house insurance lenders for some reason sorry I cant be of more help Annie

tulip0803
16-02-2009, 08:26 PM
It depends on areas unfortunately. I couldn't register as a childminder here in Wales when I first moved from England (despite being OFSTED registered) as the local council (Carmarthenshire) had a rule that you could only have 6 people coming in & out the house - as a family of 5, I could only mind one child OR apply for full change of use on the house:rolleyes: .

After a while they overturned the rule (when they found that they had few new childminders/childminding places available) and they have changed it to max 6 minded children (so I cannot have extra over 8s). These rules are only for newly registered childminders not for ones that already had their registrations.

I had to send a form to the planning department and get a letter saying permission was not needed but I did not have to pay.

Can you speak to your local NCMA office and see what they say - our's was fighting all the way along with the CSSIW as the rule meant that childminding only paid if you had no children of your own. They were really helpful although I let my membership lapse when I couldn't register.

LOOPYLISA
16-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Keep fighting hun don.t you dare give up, thinking of you x :thumbsup:

helenlc
16-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh dear

I Live in council rented property and haven't registered or told them that I am running a business from my home :eek:

Do I need to???

I just phoned my Housing Association and said to them what I was doing. They said it was fine as long as my neighbours didnt complain about any noise, disturbances etc.

Peppa
16-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I just phoned my Housing Association and said to them what I was doing. They said it was fine as long as my neighbours didnt complain about any noise, disturbances etc.

I phoned them last week (which was when i got registered):blush: :blush: They said not a problem as its not seen as a business that would affect the neighbours/neighbourhood, like say fixing vehicles!

kellywestie
16-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I was first registered in England and didn't have anything from planning as was never told I had to. When we moved to North Wales and I went through process to get registered here, I had to write to the local council planning explaining what I was doing, I then received a letter from them saying that as I was having a maximum of 6 children (including my own child) I didn't need planning permission, but if the situation changed (wanting to have more children, I guess) they would look at the situation again. It didn't cost me anything though.

Have since been glad I had that letter as a neighbour (we live in a large detached house with plenty of space around each house and there's another house between them and us!!) decided to report me to the council after one year of minding here and when council wrote to me I quoted the reference on this letter and got a reply saying they were no longer interested in his complaint - so may be worth getting something in writing from planning.

Hope that helps.

Blaze
17-02-2009, 03:36 AM

Hence the s...:)