PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen my kitchen????

huggableshelly
16-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I've lost my kitchen and found a greenhouse!

i spent a fortune on seeds compost and planters woohoo, you can see some stuff there lol we also have tomatoes, lettuce, carrots and pumpkins to grow.

I think I'll take the rest of the activity outside though, not too clever to have a gardening session in the kitchen huh hee hee

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/huggableshelly/familypics/DSCF3303.jpg

Michelle M
16-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Bet the children loved it!! Mmmmm bet they will taste scrummy.

We have an allotment and the children love to go down there and plant vegetables and watch them grow, they are yummy.

:)

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds like good fun

Angel xx

madasahatter
16-02-2009, 04:26 PM
The tomatoes and lettuce will be great for growing on a windowsill indoors, but carrots are best grown where you intend to leave them as they don't like being transplanted. Pumpkins need lots of room they are like a ground hugging beanstalk!! sprawling all over. They also like a very rich soil so are good to grow on a compost heap or with loads of rotted manure (nice smell LOL).
I hope they all grow well:)
Happy eating

huggableshelly
16-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I bought some rectangle planters... will have to get bigger ones for the pumpkins then. I did think about using the sand pit to plant in as I have a child who cant play in sand, I didnt fill the sandpit last year as felt it wasnt fair to exlcude her from the activity. Do pumpkins need to be deep for the roots?

the sandpit is about 7-10 inches deep max

jibberjitz
16-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I love growing veg and cant wait to start planting seeds for this year:thumbsup:

Peppa
16-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I have bought tomatoes, peppers, spring onions and beetroot sofar. just need compost, planters,and fertilizer

They need warm areas to grow but all i have is an greenshelf kit with the plastic over(you know the ones i mean, sorry tired and can't think) its too cold to do out yet, isn't it. i cant leave trays os compost everywhere inside, daughter would have a great time covering the house with it!

can't wait to start the front garden tho!

Carol
16-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Tidier than my kitchen:laughing: :laughing:

Wheres the scarecrow :laughing: :laughing:

Carol

huggableshelly
16-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Tidier than my kitchen:laughing: :laughing:

Wheres the scarecrow :laughing: :laughing:

Carol

lol I did have one from willows farm but seem to have lost him. what a good excuse to visit the farm again and some windmills too lol.

mandy moo
17-02-2009, 08:37 AM
My lovley husband spent most of last summer (wot we had of one!) with a mini digger flatening our back garden (we live on a hill and was bumpy an 'orrible) and sort of land scaping it.
And he also put me in a raised veg bed using sleepers.
Ofsted amended my certificate so we can use the top garden now, cant wait.
Oh and hopefully getting a summer house so
1 12 foot trampoline, with saftey net and cover will be for sale.
(Gonna get a smaller one with the money I get for it)

Tatia
17-02-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't think a pumpkin will fare well in a planter, tbh. They're enormous thick vines and leaves with good strong roots. I'd definitely put them in the gorund. You can try training them upwards to save room but make sure it's a secure trellis or fence cos the weight of the plant is enormous.

Peppa, I'd wait til mid-March (I always start seeds around March 21st -the equinox and first day of Spring). That way, by the time your seedlings have 2 sets of true leaves and are ready to be planted out, the danger of frost should have passed (usually sometime in May, depending upon where you live).

charlie28
17-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Looks really good, I was going to do something like that with the mindees.

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm growing them inside for now until they are strong enough to go out, luckily I have a big enough area in the back lounge to store the posts as they grow and no tiny mindees who may invstigate and enjoy making a muddy mess.

will have to rethink the pumpkins as the only grass I have is under the trampoline, I have no flowerbeds and no soil digging area.

I could plant in the front garden but it isnt safe to have the mindess out there being on a fast main road.

oohhhhhhhhhh I know I know...

I'll start the seeds off then send the seedlings ohme with parents, then they will hopefully continue to grow their pumpkins at home and report back .... oohhhhhhh record keeping and monitoring encouraging parents and children to work together to nurture their pumpkins whils keeping track and comparing their records within my setting.

now my head hurts LOL off to do snack time, only one of my 5 kiddies have arrived with no calls from other parents saying they are not coming so I feel trapped right now ... if I go out and they arrive then I'll feel bad for not being here but not stopping in all day that isnt fair on the one I have and my own two. So come lunchtime thats it, we are off out with or without the others.

Tatia
17-02-2009, 10:51 AM
My parents always get loads of seedlings come Springtime. :laughing: It's a great idea. Do a little fact sheet to share about how to care for whichever plant it is and include it.

Shar
17-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Looks like fun was had by all!! I have an allotment which I take the mindees to, they love digging up the veg and picking fruit. We start the seeds of at home then we plant them out end of April. The PVC greenhouse is wonderful and can be put away when not in use.(Homebase £50):thumbsup:

LisaH
17-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I'll be planting my beans, peas, tomatoes and onions again this spring too!! The kids love watching them grow even if they do take 'ages'. :)

huggableshelly
17-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Looks like fun was had by all!! I have an allotment which I take the mindees to, they love digging up the veg and picking fruit. We start the seeds of at home then we plant them out end of April. The PVC greenhouse is wonderful and can be put away when not in use.(Homebase £50):thumbsup:

more shopping but sounds like a good investment too ty for the suggestion

Donkey
17-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I love love love growing stuff, I cant wait!

just saved a wooden longish planter that was on sale in homebase for £7.49 which I will eventually put leeks in.
last year I grew potatoes, strawberries, carrots, parnips, celery, leafbeat, lettuce and tomatoes

this year I will do 2 types of spuds (you can get cheap buckets from morrisons, the ones they have flowers in for pennies which are great for new pots) leeks, strawberries, leeks, beetroot, carrots, toms lettuce.

I put the veg in planters mainly, because then I can move them around if needed. my garden is not huge!

oh and mindees will be taking home lettuce in trays that is cut and come again, a tom plant and possibly spuds :thumbsup: