PDA

View Full Version : !2 year olds!

LottieLuLu
16-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I look after 2 12 year olds after school and during school hols. They are getting independent and are allowed to go to friends etc without supervision. They want to continue to do this when with me.

I've said no but the sulking and carrying on have worn down their parents who want me to be the home base that they returnto for food etc but are free to play with their mates.

I'm reluctant as I don't feel I can be responsible for a child I can't see.

OPINIONS PLEASE/
Sorry did not mean to shout!!:)

katickles
16-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry but i wouldn't do this. I am sure that both ofsted & your insurance wouldn't cover you either.

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/27/2747/274789.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Blaze
16-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I've pm'd you.:)

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I would not do it either

Angel xx

charleyfarley
16-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I've been there before and no I wouldn't do it

Carol xx

huggableshelly
16-02-2009, 02:34 PM
stand your ground, do not put your registration at risk.

MissTinkerbell
16-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I have an 11 year old and a 10 year old and they have been told that whilst they are with me they do not go to friend's houses.

However I do believe that should you want to do it, you need written permission from the parents agreeing to this. You also have to write to your insurance company and get a letter from them as well as writing to Ofsted and getting permission from them. This then ensures should anything happen you are covered.

Personally I wouldn't feel happy, even with all this paperwork in place, letting any children in my care, play at a friend's house or around the village without knowing what they were up to. I know that I'm going to have this dilemma come the summer when my own daughter wants to go down the road to play with her friends (which she is allowed to do because their mum keeps an eye out down her end and I do the same this - we live down a dead end road) and the older mindees want to do the same.

You stick to your guns and do what you feel happy and comfortable with. Sure they'll sulk but better that than you having to deal with something awful happening - which I'm sure it won't but you just don't know.

mushpea
16-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I think the only way i would agree to do this is if i had a signed document from the parents agreeing that once they leave my house they are no longer my responsiblity untill they return. I would also add on there that we have days out or trips to the park and they would have to come with me.
it would also be a good idea to get their phone numbers becasue you may decide to take the other children (if you have any) to the park unplanned and you would need to 'call them back'.

Daftbat
16-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I look after two 12 year olds in the holidays and definitely would not just be a base for them to come back to. My two seem happy joining in with outings that i do or art and craft activities but i do encourage them to bring things from home that they will enjoy using. I kind of let them do their own thing in my house instead of theirs.

HomefromHome
16-02-2009, 04:17 PM
i would do similar to the previous posts - get permission signed but state that you will not be responsible for their behaviour/well being whilst they are not in your premises - i bet the parents would change their minds.

LottieLuLu
16-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all of you, esp Blaze :).

Of course my instinct is to say they can't go but they are very, should we say persistent, and can easily spoil the day for the little ones.

When they were in primary we did all sorts, knitting, papier mache, all sorts of crafts. Girl will still do so but boy reluctant now. I've banned the Wii today because of bad attitude and lack of respect.

I DO go to the park every time they come here and in the summer it's wonderful. I set up camp with littles, we even take the sun tent, and they roam around where I can see them.

But peer pressure is now weighing heavily on them and they think it looks 'gay' to have me there!! Which of course opens yet another can of wiggly worms as I'm not having that!!:::rolleyes:

I used to be a Youth worker and now I know why I'm not!