PDA

View Full Version : assistants employment rights

murphy61
16-02-2009, 08:36 AM
i'm aware childminding is a totally different type of employment but i was wondering those of you that do employ assistants who work at least 6 hours a day and you sort out all the paperwork for tax and insurance.

Do you give them a break just like they would be entitled to in any other work place.

I'm asking as a friend of mine works for another childminder and she doesn't allow her to have a break even though by law she is entitled too.

christine e
16-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi

Sorry can't answer your question but this is something I have concerns about. Have recently put forward to NCMA a suggestion that they put out some sort of publication regarding employment rights of assistants after I read a thread on the forum where a childminder sacked her assistant when she got wind that she intended starting a family I thought this was very dangerous ground and could have got the childminder into serious trouble.

Cx

charlie28
16-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Im trying to get some information on this

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Good question

Bumping this back up for you

Angel xx

cheeky monkeys
19-02-2009, 08:36 AM
i'm aware childminding is a totally different type of employment but i was wondering those of you that do employ assistants who work at least 6 hours a day and you sort out all the paperwork for tax and insurance.

Do you give them a break just like they would be entitled to in any other work place.

I'm asking as a friend of mine works for another childminder and she doesn't allow her to have a break even though by law she is entitled too.

Employing an assistant gives them all the employment rights of any employed person. So yes by law an assistant should have breaks.

However as you have stated it is a different type of employment. When I interview potential assistants I do stress that they will not be able to leave the premises for any breaks. However I do make sure that my assistant gets a few 5 minute coffee breaks through out the day, when we have quiet times such as snack time or you have a few down for a sleep etc.

I also make sure that my assistant has lunch, which I provide, Sandwich or similar, which we eat together whilst the children have free play. Although not a true break as we still have to keep an eye on the children.

I have found in the past that my assistants have been happy with this arrangement. Hope this helps.

cuddlybunny38
19-02-2009, 08:43 AM
When I worked as a support worker caring for disabled people (left in june 2008) we didnt have breaks worked 8, 9 , 10 hour shifts and had our meals with them. If you smoked you had a fag break but I dont smoke so never had any. Was hard as you would sometimes start at 12pm and work till 10pm, in a unit and not have 5 mins unless you popped out to the loo if someone covered you. So although she is an assitant due to the nature of the job as its caring not sure what the rules would be.