PDA

View Full Version : Variation & Assistant left with Mindees!

Michelle M
15-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Ofsted have granted me my variation, and permission to work with an assistant, so now when I am working with an assistant I can have 6 in the early years group, including my 2 year old and 2 babies under 1 included in this.

However I was under the impression that I was not allowed to leave my assistant with the children as she doesn’t have a First Aid Certificate, so you can imagine I was shocked when my new Certificate arrived Saturday morning, stating that my Assistant is allowed to be left for short periods of time, as sole carer, with permission and procedures in place! What a result.

sammy
15-02-2009, 07:54 PM
thats really good, ive asked for an assistant variation - i wonder what my numbers will change to then.

Michelle M
15-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I am only allowed 5 under 8 years, but they can all be in the early years, so I am going to have to juggle a couple of after Schoolers around which isnt a problem, and one of my parents is on maternity leave and Ofsted said to write to them nearer the time, to arrange another variation, as I will be having all 3 siblings, which will mean 6 in the early years plus my daughter who is 2 and my 8 year old. I have to measure up the rooms I use, which were agreed when my Ofsted Officer first came round to make sure I have enough space for the children, so Ofsted can keep that as a record on file:

1) children under 2 years – 3.5m2 per child;

2) 2 year olds – 2.5m2 per child;

3) Children aged 3 to 5 years – 2.3m2 per child.

Michelle M
15-02-2009, 08:04 PM
thats really good, ive asked for an assistant variation - i wonder what my numbers will change to then.

Good luck with your variation and keep us posted on your numbers :)

sarah707
15-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Michelle have you got it in writing from Ofsted that they know your assistant does not have a first aid certificate and they are still ok about her being left on her own with the children?

I only ask because I don't want you to get into trouble and I thought it was against the law.

I am also not sure whether you would be insured if she doesn't have first aid training so it's worth a quick check tomorrow.

tinkerbelle
15-02-2009, 09:09 PM
the assistant has to be first aid i had this discussion at my inspection in december 08 my assistant was first aid but to be safe she redid it in january
you cannot leave the assistant with the mindees if she isnt

Michelle M
16-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi Sarah

I understand what you are saying, and yes I do have it in writing, I found it utterly bizzare :) and from a parents point of view, I wouldnt be happy even with leaving my daughter with someone who isnt First Aid trained. I wonder if they put it on my certifcate because i said Karen would be doing a First Aid course but not until December as thats the first one in the area.

Obviously for my own and Karens peace of mind she would not be left with the children until she has been on a First Aid course.

Never thought of the insurance point of view, :blush: will phone them just to check, but as I m say I wont leave them, but for info I want to know now :)

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Sarah

I understand what you are saying, and yes I do have it in writing, I found it utterly bizzare :) and from a parents point of view, I wouldnt be happy even with leaving my daughter with someone who isnt First Aid trained.

Obviously for my own and Karens peace of mind she would not be left with the children until she has been on a First Aid course.

Never thought of the insurance point of view, :blush: will phone them just to check, but as I m say I wont leave them, but for info I want to know now :)

I understand what you are saying and agree up to a point

But say if there was an accident when the assistant is left alone and you had not double checked this out

Better to be safe than sorry I think

Angel xx

charlie28
16-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I have just recieved a letter from OFSTED this morning saying they have recieved my variation letter about putting my numbers up when my assistant will be with me. They said in the letter that they will get in touch soon.

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I have just recieved a letter from OFSTED this morning saying they have recieved my variation letter about putting my numbers up when my assistant will be with me. They said in the letter that they will get in touch soon.

Thats good news well done to you

Angel xx

Michelle M
16-02-2009, 02:11 PM
OMG :eek:

I have phoned NCMA Insurance Line, and yes Karen my assistant who does not have a First Aid Certificate, is covered, because I have Employers Liablity Insurance, how scary is that :)

Like i say I am not willing to leave Karen with then mindees, but how many assistants out there would be left.

angeldelight
16-02-2009, 02:12 PM
OMG :eek:

I have phoned NCMA Insurance LIne, and yes karen my assistan twho des not have First Aid Certificate, is covered, because I have Employers liablity Insurance, how scary is that :)

Like i say I am not willing to leave Karen with then mindees, but how many assistants out there would be left

Well it just goes to show then

Angel xx

Michelle M
16-02-2009, 02:12 PM

FANTASTIC NEWS well done :)