PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Baskets

Happy Feet
15-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Just a quick question about sensory baskets....

I've read that having bottles of coloured water and also glittery coloured water is great for having in sensory baskets but what would it go in if you shouldn't have plastic items in the baskets? I don't really fancy having sealed glass bottles because i'd be worrying if they got droppped and smashed. And watching over the little ones goes against the idea of Heuristic Play....

Help!!! Ideas Please!!! xx

sarah707
15-02-2009, 04:31 PM
If you are putting together a heuristic play basket then you should not include plastic.

That does not mean you can't have another basket of plastic filled sensory bottles available for the child to play with at different times.

Advice from safety people - superglue lids :D

Happy Feet
15-02-2009, 04:39 PM
2 baskets it is then!!!!

Thanks for your advise Sarah xx

Monkey1
15-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a whole box of discovery bottles, the children LOVE them!

donnadoo2004200
15-02-2009, 06:04 PM
What sort of thing do you put in the bottles? what type of bottles like panda pop or small water bottle type?

sarah32
15-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I used small kiddie juice bottles.

In mine I have glitter, coloured water, coloured pasta and rice and shells and natural things like fir cones, small ones.

Still adding to mine all the time.:)

Carol
15-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks some good ideas here

Carol xx

Happy Feet
15-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I've just found a few links about sensory/treasure baskets on another site -

http://www.peep.org.uk/standard.asp?id=300

http://www.contentedchild.co.uk/Contented%20Child%20Treasure%20Baskets.htm

(once you click on the link above it takes you to a page about treasure baskets and also has links to other pages of interest at the top)

http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0000221.pdf

Hope these are helpful xx

sue
15-02-2009, 08:20 PM
thanks for the links think l shall start collecting things think its a really good idea.

Polka Dots
15-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Simple yet effective! :thumbsup:

Monkey1
15-02-2009, 08:37 PM
What sort of thing do you put in the bottles? what type of bottles like panda pop or small water bottle type?

oasis bottles for the big ones and lucazade ones for the little ones x

Peppa
16-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Great ideas! now just gotta drink the contents! :laughing:

Pedagog
16-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a treasure basket filled with natural things then I have the sensory sack filled with all sorts of flashing, squidgy, colourful and textured things, or and of course then there's the fidget box as well, filled with fiddly toys.

sunnysmile
16-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I had never seen this before, what a lovely idea. That said a couple of the suggested contents raised my eyebrows like cork and ball of wool and fur. How would you make sure the pine cones were sterile? I have my safety hat on :laughing:

Chanelle
16-04-2009, 10:12 PM
If you want to do water bottles, save a HUGE juice bottle, fill with water and put a few pom poms in it of different colours , when u roll it across the floor the pom poms become floaters .... and move really slowly ... Kiddies love to watch them and also good for co-ordination too !! I have a huge basket with all my bottles in ...
Here are a few more ideas .. sorry if i repeat !

Sand with little buttons
Sand with little shells
Water and Glitter
Rice - different colours
Sequins/ foil squares in water
Selection of bottles with different colours in - yellow water & yellow items in
Rolled up balls of foil
Photo Bottle - little photos .. can find yourself?
Little Gems in sand
Water and numbers
Blue water and oil
Seasons bottle- ie autumn
Blue Water and a fish
Find the items - in sand
Hair Gel and 1 marble - children will watch for ages as it moves slowly
Nails and screws - add water and watch over time

Hope I didnt repeat too much !!

Deb
17-04-2009, 07:10 AM
The fir cones dont need to be sterile!

I make my sensory bottles with the children, using a sink or float activity. Some I make alone - different types of bottles and sizes. SUPERGLUE the tops tho, really do.:)

georgie456
17-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I have a treasure basket which the kids love, but have never heard of the bottle idea - I will be making some asap - a great idea :)

Peppa
17-04-2009, 06:48 PM
If you want to do water bottles, save a HUGE juice bottle, fill with water and put a few pom poms in it of different colours , when u roll it across the floor the pom poms become floaters .... and move really slowly ... Kiddies love to watch them and also good for co-ordination too !! I have a huge basket with all my bottles in ...

Sand with little buttons
Sand with little shells
Water and Glitter
Rice - different colours
Rolled up balls of foil
Little Gems in sand
Water and numbers
Blue water and oil
Blue Water and a fish
Find the items - in sand

fantastic, thanks!

Can i just ask how long it took you all to get all this sorted! I feel like theres soo much i wanna do, but seem to be really not getting anywhere.

Deb
17-04-2009, 07:43 PM
years - it sort of builds up over time;sometimes I have bursts of creativity and do loads and other times I add little to me kit for months.

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 08:59 PM
fantastic, thanks!

Can i just ask how long it took you all to get all this sorted! I feel like theres soo much i wanna do, but seem to be really not getting anywhere.

I did these bottles over the course of the summer months ... They are all actually at nursery but, I used to drink a bottle a day so following week we made 4-6 bottles ... By the end of the summer we had a big box full !!

I found the Evian bottles with screw lids to be the best ones. :)

jibberjitz
17-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Sand with little buttons
Sand with little shells
Water and Glitter
Rice - different colours
Rolled up balls of foil
Little Gems in sand
Water and numbers
Blue water and oil
Blue Water and a fish
Find the items - in sand

What a fab idea!!!:thumbsup:

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you !! I have some uses !! :p

FussyElmo
17-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Love the one about the pom pom's in the water but stupid question time do they fluff back up or wont they shrink in the water - told you it was silly, take it they are made of wool :)

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Love the one about the pom pom's in the water but stupid question time do they fluff back up or wont they shrink in the water - told you it was silly, take it they are made of wool :)

When they are in the water they float , so keep their shape, no distortion at all ... and they look so pretty :) :littleangel:

:laughing: They aren't pom poms we make from card circles hunny , pom poms you buy for craft ! :laughing:

FussyElmo
18-04-2009, 07:41 AM
When they are in the water they float , so keep their shape, no distortion at all ... and they look so pretty :) :littleangel:

:laughing: They aren't pom poms we make from card circles hunny , pom poms you buy for craft ! :laughing:

:blush: Thank you feeling very silly now :o.

But on the plus side I can just go and buy some now instead of making the things:blush: :blush:

Chanelle
23-04-2009, 06:21 PM
:blush: Thank you feeling very silly now :o.

But on the plus side I can just go and buy some now instead of making the things:blush: :blush:

Hehe ... lets put that down to it being very late :D

Kelly
23-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Great ideas! now just gotta drink the contents! :laughing:

Might have to consider wine bottles then...... lol :laughing: :laughing:

avril
23-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Great idea, will start collecting bottles straight away. Just with all that drinking I will be on the loo on day what about the mindees!!??:laughing:

Chanelle
23-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I can't wait to re-do my bottles! I donated mine to Nursery and they ant to keep them lol .... Anyway .. as soon as my mindees start i will be busy making them all !! :)

Quick Tip !! When you colour the water use crepe paper to do it ... saves having to buy lots of botles of colouring ... unless you dont have crepe paper obviously lol !! Just drop an ball of crepe in the water ... put on lid give it a shake and remove rpaper !! all done!!

estrelas
23-04-2009, 09:16 PM
thank you what a great idea!!!

even for the older ones

Thanks wendy them ideas were great

Toothfairy
24-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Some fantastic ideas, I know what I will be doing next week. :thumbsup:

sue
24-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Sand with little buttons
Sand with little shells
Water and Glitter
Rice - different colours
Rolled up balls of foil
Little Gems in sand
Water and numbers
Blue water and oil
Blue Water and a fish
Find the items - in sand

no you have given me lots of ideas thank:thumbsup:

ajs
24-04-2009, 10:56 PM
can i just warn you that the superglue does not always stick on the bottles i did this tonight and the glue ran down the bottles and when i picked them up stuck to my fingers i have thrown the whole lot away now and lost the use of my fingertips

The Juggler
25-04-2009, 08:49 AM
These are great. Also someone gave me a tip to use cooking oil instead of water as you get that lava lamp effect.

Nx

Sand with little buttons
Sand with little shells
Water and Glitter
Rice - different colours
Rolled up balls of foil
Little Gems in sand
Water and numbers
Blue water and oil
Blue Water and a fish
Find the items - in sand

helenlc
25-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I made some of these earlier and use some gaffer tape around the top to completely cover the lid. Once it's stuck its pretty hard to remove.

Angela234
26-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I'M HOPING to make some today

1 question has anyone had a BOTTLE SPLIT i hate the thought of red food colouring water going over my carpet :panic:

I will be watching child whilst playing but if a child kneels or lays bites on one
just a thought:idea:

Angela

Monkey1
26-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I haven't had one split on me yet!......quick...touch wood! i tend to do one with each project/theme we do. It's amazing how quickly the collection grows!!!