PDA

View Full Version : Shift work

katie0183
31-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Ive been a[pproached about shift work.. mother works full time as teacher dad works shifts. They want the care around dads work which changes week to week. He either does shifts 7-2 or 1-6 how would you charge for this because obviously i couldnt get anyone else to mind around these times as i wouldnt know from week to week.

Answers on a postcard please :)

Kate

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Shift work hours can work really well and depends how you want to fill up your time. My biggest thing is MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HOURS IN ADVANCE and these will be your contracted hours anything after that is extra.

Why wouldn't you know from week to week, if there are set shift patterns are they on a one week on one week off roll? I always ask for a 4 (minimum of 2) week rota with shift workers - most of them DO know what their patterns are going to be. Once you have confirmation of this you can see how you could possibly (if you want to) fill your other spaces.

If mum is a teacher are you only wanted term times only - don't forget about inset days (or whatever they are called now).

angeldelight
31-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I have a parent that does shift work more or less the same type of hours

I charge just for the hours that I have them

It works well for me because I have another child every other week that covers the mornings that I do not have the first child

I have to have my hours and payment in advance

Just do not let them mess you around like Vik said they will def know their hours

Good luck

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
31-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I have done shift work in the past I charge in advance

Did a month plan of when had them, and charged a retainer for when not with me as it changes all the time, unless you think you could fill the space. I don't think a nursery would be so flexible

let us know what you deside to do

susi513
01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I've done the same as Emma. It worked well (parents paid full fees for the booked hours and 1/2 fees for the remainder of the reserved period) but I know others have had problems with shift work arrangements:

1. parent doesn't require any hours some weeks or books far less hours than expected. Have a minimum weekly fee included in your contract.

2. parent doesn't notify cm of the days needed as agreed. (typically some parents have thought its fine to ignore the day/date agreed and just phone/text the night before or first thing on the day they need you!)

I put in my contracts that parent agrees to notify me in writing of the hours/days NOT required by (day/date). If the childminder does not receive written notification of the days/hours NOT required on or before the agreed day/date the Parent agrees to pay full fees for the whole of the reserved time period.

If you don't want to be tied to being available the whole week you might prefer to say that if they don't notify you of the days required then the cm will not be available at all for that week and the minimum fee will apply.

3 . Parent tells you what days/hours they want, you do all your planning etc and they then tell you they need different days/hours.

I put in my contract that a) there is no guarantee of my availabilty on the days/times the parent has advised they do not need b) if the parent wishes to request childcare on a different day/time than they chose to book and I am available then they agree to pay full fees for both the days/hours originally booked and also full fees for the new/extra hours required. c) there are no reductions or refunds if the child does not attend on the days/hours booked for their child.

====
Some childminders are more flexible than me like Angel has said. Or agreeing a contract for a fixed number of hours per week and allowing the parent to book the times they want those hours of childcare to be (if you do this make sure your contract is clear on the earliest possible arrival time and the latest collection time they can book at this rate and what the charges will be if you agree earlier/later unsocial hours.)

Sorry, not many of my posts can fit on a postcard lol!

angeldelight
03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Are you going to do it did parent get back to you about this ?

Angel xx

deeb66
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Some sound advice already given.

Have you got an update on this?

katie0183
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah after all my faffing around and trying to work it out she didnt show up for her meeting!!! GRRR

Ahh well atleast i know for next time

Kate

Pipsqueak
04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
sorry to hear that - it is really annoying and inconsiderate that people do this.

deeb66
04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
sorry to hear that - it is really annoying and inconsiderate that people do this.

I agree with Vik.....really annoying:angry: