PDA

View Full Version : question on numbers??

Hebs
15-02-2009, 04:11 PM
i am registered for 6 children under 8

i know for ins purposes we can have 12 children (inc my own 2) so this means i can have 4 over 8's

BUT

what happens if i'm at home and son has friend over.... do they come into your numbers even though you arn't really minding them (IE getting paid) as they are just over to play????

:panic:

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 04:17 PM
yes they will still come into your numbers - its how many you are being responsible for

loocyloo
15-02-2009, 04:18 PM
hi, i might be wrong, but i have always been under the impression, that unless a visiting child has a parent with it, then they count in your numbers!

loocyloo xxx

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 04:19 PM
if the visiting child is with parent - then the parent remains responsible and in charge of said child

Hebs
15-02-2009, 04:20 PM
just thought i'd ask, only have 2 mindees at the moment :thumbsup:

does the same go for older children, like my daughters friends who are teenagers?? whats the "cut off" age or isn't there one?

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 04:26 PM
urgh, now you got me, never had to think that far ahead. I'd give Ofsted and your insurance a call and try to get a definative answer. I'd be really interested in that answer

Hebs
15-02-2009, 04:28 PM
i think i will

cos it seems unfair that cos i'm minding my kids can't have older friends over, i mean this is their house afterall

will let you know :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
15-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Dont forget to call council planning dept if that applies in your area, I am registered for 6 under 8 so ofsted said i can have 6 plus however many over 8s - planning only allow 6 under 14 in my area, that includes friends unless their parent is present

Hebs
15-02-2009, 04:43 PM
so does this mean if we've had a house full of kids over for birthdays we've been breaking the law then???

cos even though you arn't minding them, you can only have 6 children under 14 :eek: :panic: :rolleyes:

aly
15-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I had the impression {maybe sarah could confirm/disagree} that as long as they are playdates or friends they do not count in your numbers as you are not getting paid..?

hope someone could clarify this.

Pipsqueak
15-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I would highly recommend that if planning depts aren't already sniffing around then don't even disturb them. My poor friend has been severely resticted by some very petty minded official persons at planning who actually didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Sadly though they can override what numbers Ofsted say you can have - so leave well alone if they are not involved.

thinking about it if we are on all 3 registers, then we can care for kids right up to the age of 18yrear old (can you imagine:eek: ) so if for instance a 17 yr old has his 3 mates over, all age 17, then are you responsible for them? Bit of a mine field here

Hebs
15-02-2009, 04:51 PM
i can understand little ones being counted cos they need more supervision than an older child.

my son and his friend have been upstairs on the xbox360 most of the day, so seems silly that they would count in my numbers when i'm not actually doing anything for them :laughing:

sarah707
15-02-2009, 06:04 PM
My understanding has always been that during working hours you can only have the amount of children in the house that are up to the maximum on your certificate.

Even if you are having friends of your children free of charge, you are legally not supposed to have them in the house or garden.

It's because even though they are not causing any trouble or might be tucked away in a bedroom somewhere, you are still responsible for them if they are on your property.

It's a tough one on your children and you need to be careful they don't get resentful.

Hebs
15-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Even if you are having friends of your children free of charge, you are legally not supposed to have them in the house or garden.

so they can't even be in the house while i'm minding? even if i'm under my numbers??

how on earth am i supposed to tell my kids that they can't have friends round, esp during the long summer holidays

thats SO not fair :(

sarah707
15-02-2009, 06:37 PM
You can only go up to the numbers on your certificate... so if you are allowed 6 under 8, then 6 is your maximum.

For over 8s, I'm not sure on the rules but like other people have said there might be both insurance and planning implications.

Sorry if I wasn't clear

Hebs
15-02-2009, 06:41 PM
well it would never be my under 8's as the friend my son has round to play is 10.

my daughter goes out with her friends so its very rare that her friends will be an issue.

to be fair in the summer they play out, only come in after tea to go on xbox when i don't want son walking the streets.

PixiePetal
15-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I thought it was the usual 6 under 8 and could have 6 between 8 and 14. Including your own, max 12 children IYSWIM.

Don't plan on having too many in my little house! My own are 12 and 14 :)

gigglinggoblin
15-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Council told me any child under the age of 14 you are looking after (ie if their parent is not present) counts to the 6 under 14 rule. It will affect my kids aswell, I have 4 of my own, 2 over 8 so wouldnt count towards the 6 ofsted allows me but they do count towards planning. I guess the problem occurs if someone else brings it to the attention of the planning dept. I think you would be safe to call them and ask, no one asked for my name or address when I rang.

Hebs
15-02-2009, 08:45 PM
seems i've opened a can of worms here :panic:

so why do ofsted say 6 under the age of 8
Ins say 12 children inc own
council say something else??

:rolleyes:

TBH i'm starting to question why i'm minding if my own kids can't have a life, it defeats the object :(

sarah707
15-02-2009, 08:49 PM
You can apply to the council to ask for extra children.

They charge for it... every planning dept will have a different charge...

Then they write to all your neighbours to see if anyone has any objections.

If I remember rightly it takes about 3 months to get their reply... but don't quote me on that.

I looked into it when my partner registered with me as the maximum was 6 children... so I asked them what it would take to up our numbers. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle as I don't want the neighbours knowing my business.

However, your council might be different. It doesn't cost anything to ask the question! :D

Hebs
15-02-2009, 08:53 PM
well right through my registration (inc course) we were never told we had to inform the council and ask about numbers, we were told Ofsted let the numbers.

peanuts
15-02-2009, 09:03 PM
always been under the impression they were in your numbers, hard on my own kids sometimes when im busy and they all want someone over:(

huggableshelly
15-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I've always included all children in my numbers

this includes my childrens friends even though there is no payment

i aim to keep one day a wk where I have one open space so my own children can arrange a friend to come round on that day only and one at a time

I works out well as there are times when oneof my children go elsewhere meaning my other child can have a friend on that day too

madasahatter
15-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I have always included DS friends in my numbers whenever there have been minded children present and I am being paid to provide childcare (not for the friend of course).
If he had a group of friends around at the weekend then as I'm not minding then my registration numbers don't apply and he can have as many friends round as he wants (in reality if there is more than a couple I insist they play out ha ha ha)

Hebs
16-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Ofsted says

Dear Ms Smith,

Thank you for your e-mail.
In response to your enquiry you are able to have children aged 8 and over at your setting and it does not affect your childcare numbers. Please remember however due consideration has to be given in relation to the care of the under 8's in your home.

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards
Barney Parsonage
Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit

so yes my children can have friends over :clapping:

carebear25
25-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I think that answers my question then.

I am only going to be registerd for 4 inc my own ds who is 15mths.

My stepson who is 12 and lives with us 50% of week, so is here 2 days after school and has mates to play computer an watch tv.

They will be in our front room which is not registered on certificate.

So am I right in thinking ive got nothing to worry about as I'm not registering for over 8's he can still have his mates to play.

Rubybubbles
25-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Ofsted says

Dear Ms Smith,

Thank you for your e-mail.
In response to your enquiry you are able to have children aged 8 and over at your setting and it does not affect your childcare numbers. Please remember however due consideration has to be given in relation to the care of the under 8's in your home.

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards
Barney Parsonage
Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit

so yes my children can have friends over :clapping:

that really surprises me tbh!

I do what hubbleshelly does, I only have limited number on thurs so thats when we arrange play dates for my children! Sorry but I am not going to allowing my kids when older to have loads of people round, thi sis my job! If I went out to work they wouldn't be able to do it! Also if I used a childminder for my children I wouldn't be happy with say the teenagers having friends round whilst my child was there BUT thats IMHO!!!

Hebs
25-02-2009, 10:07 PM
i'm not talking about LOADS of kids, i'm talking about 1 :D