PDA

View Full Version : SAFETY LOCKS ADVICE PLEASE?????

misst104
14-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I've never had to use saftey locks on cupboards and doors as my 2 lo's learnt very early which ones they could open and which they couldn't! I will of course need to get some now I am planning on being a CM. My dp is very reluctant to screw holes into our kitchen cupboards and drawers as they are really nice double backed and expensive!! ( in when we bought the house luckily!!) and he thinks it will ruin them and will look shocking if we decide to take them off eventually. I'm not bothered as I know its got to be done but you know how men can be!!!!!!!

So the question i am asking is whether anyone uses adhesive drawer and cupboard locks and if so which ones and do they do the job??????

Thanks folks x x x x

Need to get this sorted as am planning to send forms off to Ofsted next week ( maybe!!!!! - see other post :blush: )

jo x x x

PixiePetal
14-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I use magnetic ones, not sure about adhesive ones - sorry :)

Annie_T
14-02-2009, 04:22 PM
i use this type on my cupboards hich were fine with inspector
http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryParentId=3693&storeId=10052&productId=20990&callingViewName=&categoryId=3724&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

i have a unit of 4 draws which i yet to find way to lock as those catches wont work and i wont use stick on ones as one on my fridge came off :panic:

Alibali
14-02-2009, 04:37 PM
My friend has just had a lovely new kitchen installed and she got those magnetic locks too. They are fab, and don't need to be on when you're not minding:) I'm getting them next time too!!

gigglinggoblin
14-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I chose to not use my kitchen rather than use cupboard locks, I just have to put a gate across the doorway. Will use table for baking etc. Its another option

PixiePetal
14-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I only found out you could stop them working, by putting something in to stop the magnetic catch, by reading it on this forum - have had them 14 years!! :laughing: I do this at the weekend now, relief to the family :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Cupboard-Drawer-Locks-locks/dp/B000KG8DJ4/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1234630690&sr=1-21

mine are an old version without the clip

gegele
14-02-2009, 07:01 PM
i have the magnetic ones, sticky one and theyre great!
they come with a screw if you choso to after.
i had my on safetots they were ok price

misst104
14-02-2009, 07:13 PM
i have the magnetic ones, sticky one and theyre great!
they come with a screw if you choso to after.
i had my on safetots they were ok price

Great, thanks for that. I had looked at them but thought you had to screw them in. didn't realise you could stick them on. Have got funding from Early years for safety items so may see if they would get me some of these :thumbsup:

jo x x x :)

Lincsminder
14-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't have them, I have a stair gate across the kitchen opening and children are only allowed in supervised so can't open the cupboards with out me knowing.

Zoomie
14-02-2009, 08:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280304068816

just started using these myself

Polka Dots
14-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't have them, I have a stair gate across the kitchen opening and children are only allowed in supervised so can't open the cupboards with out me knowing.
Good question Jo! My hubby isn't keen on screw locks.

Lincsminder, your way had entered my head as an alternative but I wasn't sure how Ofsted would be. I take it it's acceptable providing the children are closely supervised?

Claire

beckyteddy
14-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't have any safety catches in my kitchen. I have put all chemicals and sharp dangerous objects in high cupboards. I havn't had my 1st proper Ofsted inspection yet but my pre-reg inspector said this was fine.

liza
15-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi,
My teacher on my childminding course said she doesn't have any cupboard locks, she just keeps chemicals and sharp things in high cupboards.

I have a 4 drawer unit too, we have only put a lock on the bottom one. Think we temporarily put an external plastic one through the handles of all 4 drawers but my husband couldn't open it so we took it off!!!

I also have a gate on the kitchen door, so children can't go in without me.

Liz

Lincsminder
15-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Good question Jo! My hubby isn't keen on screw locks.

Lincsminder, your way had entered my head as an alternative but I wasn't sure how Ofsted would be. I take it it's acceptable providing the children are closely supervised?

Claire

Yes they were fine with this, I think sometimes children just have to learn that there are somethings they aren't allowed to do and opening my
sink cupboard is one of them.

tammerisk
15-02-2009, 11:49 AM
i don't have locks on my cupboard my hubby said no to all that when he fitted the new kichen about 6 months ago but i just said to ofsted that children are not aloud in the kitchen unless supervised by me and def not when cooker is on. i have stair gate on my living room door and dinning room door so little one can't get in there if i not there anyway

Polka Dots
15-02-2009, 06:05 PM
One more safety gate to acquire and that'll be the kitchen taken care of. :)

Tatjana
15-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I chose to not use my kitchen rather than use cupboard locks, I just have to put a gate across the doorway. Will use table for baking etc. Its another option

Me too!:thumbsup:

misst104
15-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Thats everyone for replies. Given me lots to think about. Do you really think Ofsted would be o.k with no cupboard or drawer locks if you said the children would always be supervised when in the kitchen. I would put a stair gate up but bit tricky with position!

FizzysFriends
15-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I would go for no locks and no stair gate, I personally think there needs to some physical barrier there as close supervision is on but what if one child hurt themselves and you were giving first aid to them, you wouldn't be able to closely supervise the others at that point.

Do you have wall cupboards? You could put the hazard items in those?

mummyof3
15-02-2009, 11:08 PM
I have my medicines in a top cupboard in the kitchen and ofsted said that was fine as it was high and out of reach and with full supervision they would not be able to reach them. I also did not want to put holes in my new cupboards and she agreed. I just hope the next inspector also agrees with her when my grading inspection is due :rolleyes: