PDA

View Full Version : Day Trip Problem

ma7ie
31-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Just wondering what you all would do.

I currently look after a 16 month boy sometimes 2 and sometimes 3 mornings a week from 7.30 until 12.30.

The childminding network I belong to have arranged a day trip to "Eureka" science museum on the 3rd of March which falls on one of the mornings I have this little boy.

I asked his mum if he could come and I told her that I wouldn't expect paying for the extra time he would be with me, but she is reluctant to let me take him because he hasn't been away from her for so long before - it's only 3 hours longer than normal and I said that I would drop him back at home too.

The problem is that if he can't go then we all can't go and what does this mean for future day trips like outings to the seaside in the summer and so on?

Just fed up because it would be so nice to go.

Marie x

fionamal
31-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I would tell her your going with the kids and if she doesnt want her son to go then she will have to keep him at home that day.

Dont spoil it for the other kids.

Well, thats what i would do anyway.

Fiona xx

emler
31-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I would do the same as Fiona - it would be a shame for the others to miss out. Hopefully she will change her mind

Emler x

wendys
31-01-2008, 01:31 PM
explain that the children would love it. if she still doesn't want the baby to go then say you can't mind him that day. bit harsh but you do have to look at the big picture.

LittleMissSparkles
31-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Just wondering what you all would do.

I currently look after a 16 month boy sometimes 2 and sometimes 3 mornings a week from 7.30 until 12.30.

The childminding network I belong to have arranged a day trip to "Eureka" science museum on the 3rd of March which falls on one of the mornings I have this little boy.

I asked his mum if he could come and I told her that I wouldn't expect paying for the extra time he would be with me, but she is reluctant to let me take him because he hasn't been away from her for so long before - it's only 3 hours longer than normal and I said that I would drop him back at home too.

The problem is that if he can't go then we all can't go and what does this mean for future day trips like outings to the seaside in the summer and so on?

Just fed up because it would be so nice to go.

Marie x

I'd give her 4weeks written noticethat you would be unavailale that day to mind him then you can all go xxx

barbarella68
31-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Marie,
If it was me I would let her know now, that if he can't come with you then you won't be able to have him on that day, if you let her know now she has plenty of time to sort out other care.You have a responsibility to other children not just hers and I think she is being rather silly and selfish as it's only for one afternoon.Have you told her that you can't all go if the child doesn't go with you?
Alyson

Rubybubbles
31-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Agree withe everyone, if he can't go your can still give 4 weeks hols notice for that day to her.

shame as it would be good for them all to go together at 16 months he would get a lot from it

Banana
31-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree.

I have it written into my fee's policy about 'day trips'.

If you wish for your child to come then no extra payment will be expected from you for any additional hours that may occur because of the hours of the trip. If you would rather your child did not attend such outings then full payment for that day is still expected and you will have to make alternative arrangements for childcare on that particular day.

Its goes something like that.

I would just explain that the other children all have permission to go and it is not fair on them to now not go.

Let us know how you get on

x

sarah32
31-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Seems a bit unfair, I would advice you cant have him that day.

Angela234
31-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree with the others if he can't go then you won't be able to look after him that day

Angela

sarah707
31-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm with everyone else! You don't give up a day out because of one over-protective mother.... and Eureka! if FAB... :D

Schnakes
31-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree 100% with the others. God, these over protective mothers do my blinking nut in!!!

Just thought I'd add my tuppence worth! :)

Sx

manjay
31-01-2008, 02:52 PM
I would tell her to get a grip!!!

Sorry is that a bit harsh? Can you tell I have spent the morning with overprotective mothers who can not go 10 minutes without checking on their children!

amanda xx

ma7ie
31-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I've decided to do as you all say and go anyway. Will give her four weeks notice in writing so she can find alternative care and I will use this day as a holiday.

Thanks Banana, I'm updating my Fees policy as we speak to give to her when her contract comes up for renewal so I don't have to use my holidays to go on day trips.

Marie x

Pipsqueak
31-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm with everyone else on this one.

Perhaps explaining to the mum how, why and what, (safety - car seats, wrist straps,) you will take pictures etc, you can text her and let her know how is getting on etc. Ask her what she is worried about and reassure her that you wouldn't take him unless you thought he'd be ok. that sort of thing.

Other than that - tell her you can't have her son that day, go with the other children and ENJOY

Kelly
31-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm with everyone else on this your other children should not miss out on the experience, but I would ask mum to reconsider, I would try explaining the benefits of the child attending, maybe they have a web site or something she could look at.

It seems a little unfair that you should have to take a days holiday when mum could give a little and understand that the fears are hers and the child will probably be perfectly happy and not even realise he hasn't seen his mum.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
31-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree with everyone else on this one it is not fair on the other children if you cannot go.

Lorraine xx

ajs
31-01-2008, 04:20 PM
same answer from me but i had to get my two penneth in

go enjoy and as sarah says eureka is brilliant i took my 3 last year they were 12,13 and 15 and they still had a brilliant time

angeldelight
31-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I would also do what everyone suggested

Have fun and enjoy

Angel xx

miffy
31-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I agree with everyone else too

I hope this mum changes her mind and lets the child go

Have a great time and take lots of photos

Miffy xx

deeb66
04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Just catching up with this one.

I explain to parents when I meet them that of course they can object to their child going on an outing if they wanted but that it would be unfair that all the other children should miss the opportunity.

I then advise them that should they not want their child to go then I will not be able to have them that day and that as I am working my full fee is still payable.

I have never had a parent refuse permission for a child to go on an outing!!!

Polly2
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I would be so chuffed if my kids had the opportunity to go on a trip like that - especially if I didn't have to pay for the additional hours :)

I don't no whats wrong with people :D

Good advice from everyone here - I will bear this in mind - I am thinking of planning some trips and this might be a problem I might have.

Take care xx

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I would also do as everyone else says! Its not fair on the others, if she doesnt want to change her mind inform her you will not be able to mind him for that day and give her written notice, hope you have a fun time!! xx

Lincsminder
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree.

I have it written into my fee's policy about 'day trips'.

If you wish for your child to come then no extra payment will be expected from you for any additional hours that may occur because of the hours of the trip. If you would rather your child did not attend such outings then full payment for that day is still expected and you will have to make alternative arrangements for childcare on that particular day.

x

Thats really good, I might put somehing like this in to my policies.