PDA

View Full Version : food ideas for fussy kids please

mushpea
13-02-2009, 01:09 PM
ok so i have one very fussy (due to special needs) 8yrold who dosent eat mince or any other meat except sausages or chicken. I also childmind 4 children one of whom won't eat sandwichs of any bread type or any shape (tried cake cutters) then the other 3 don't particualry like vegies and stews, did a lovley chicken stew yesterday in the slow cooker, my too ate it no probs, the fussy sandwich guy ate most of his but the others turned their noses up so went with out dessert . my 10yrold daughter will eat anything so at least thats one out of 6 kids i feed that will eat

so can i please have some meal ideas to suit the above, i am looking for evening meal ideas (nothing spicey though) and also some lunch ideas that dont invovle sandwichs but are cold lunchs. pllleeeaaasssseeee

FizzysFriends
13-02-2009, 01:14 PM
My DD doesn't eat sandwiches (unless its milk roll but they have stopped selling it in Tesco) but she likes wraps or crackers, may be you could try thoses?

For dinner:

Spag bol (made with quorn if they don't eat mince).
Pizza (they could help you make it).
Toad in the hole.
Fish pie

katickles
13-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Pasta dishes, Rice dishes that can be served with meat & veg for those that will eat it, urm....................... Omelletes

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/27/2737/273738.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

FizzysFriends
13-02-2009, 01:17 PM
chicken fajitas (sp).
bangers mash and peas

mushpea
13-02-2009, 01:17 PM
some good ideas, unfortunatly because it is the texture not the taste of the mince he wouldn't eat quorn either but like the cracker idea though
please keep them comming thanks

tomthumb
13-02-2009, 01:22 PM
stir frys are quick and easy to make and you can adapt it to suit everyone.
There is a dish from Mauritius that I cook regularly and the lo love it. It's called a rougaille:
fry a diced onion, add some ginger and garlic (minced)
Add some chopped tomatoes (at the moment I use tinned as fresh ones aren't really nice) and thym
Then you can add whatever you want in it: tuna, sardines, frankfurters (sliced), omelette, shrimps...
Let it cook for 10 mns and serve with rice.
They all love it, even my 7 year old who is a very very fussy eater.

It's easy to make and really delicious. We serve it with lentils on the side as well. (You cook a tin of lentils and you add a couple of spoons of rougaille before you add tuna or sardines...)

I hope it makes sense!!

The lo I have aren't keen on sandwiches either so I do 2 cooked meals a day but I keep the lunch ones simple
pasta with a jar of passata, ham and peas
omelettes with mushrooms, potatoes....
roast chicken legs (you don't have to do anything but stick them in the oven for an hour!) and roast veg (butternut squash, potatoes...)

Also I always cook big portions so that I can freeze some and use it for lunchtime.

Good luck!!

Elodie X

gegele
13-02-2009, 02:31 PM
i do like tomthumb i cook bigger portion of evening meal. freeze extra portion and use it as lunch for dd whenever.

i cook rice/pasta with lots of whatever i have in the cupboard/fridge LOL

rice with slice frankfurter, dice ham, peas, bit of scrambled egg.

pasta tuna with kidney beans

play with colours,
cook pasta or rice and have the kids to dice and make up their own, kind of like pizza put each plate back in microwave to warm u a bit et voila!!!

or mash and hide veg and stuff in paties LOL

sarah707
13-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a menu and use it as a basic guide.

If one child doesn't like something, I will replace it but otherwise they all get pretty much the same and if they are being picky they just have to leave it on their plate.

I have 9 and more for tea some nights when my own are here and there's a full complement of mindees. None of them go home hungry but they are expected to eat something before they get their pudding.

Otherwise they are offered fruit.

Have you tried making his bolognese into a puree? Or just give spaghetti, tomato sauce and cheese? That would make it easier for you if everyone else likes bol. :D

louise
13-02-2009, 08:06 PM
My DS doesn't like Mince drives me crazy. In the thread about slow cookers i saw about doing mince in there i do wonder if i do it that way it will be softer and he will eat it. He has tried it lately 1st time as he had been watching garfield and wanted lasange 2nd time he made cottage pie with me.