PDA

View Full Version : is it too much to ask?

cuffleygirl
13-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I have had a bit of a week of late collections and generally been treated with no respect but this just about topped it.

Last night 1 mindee 3hours late for collection again parents rang say they would be late at 3.15 knowing I would be at school and unable to say no (or yes).

This one takes the biscuit in my eyes - mindee's mum rang 15mins after she was due to collect to say she was leaving work (have already racked up 2.5 additional hours this week) and then took 50 minutes to do a 20 minute drive no apology. I asked politely if she could please ensure that she was on time tonight as my children have an after school activity - she was frank "I don't think I will be as I am very busy at work" then came the real corker

She suggested I took the day off if it would make my life easier - and of course she wouldn't have to pay me!

So she can't leave on time but she can miss a whole day and blame it on being let down by the childminder.

Yes I charge late fees obviously not enough - double time on each hour or therepart of - but really I would like parents to understand I have a life is it too much to ask!

miffy
13-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm shocked this parent has such a bare-faced cheek! What was going to happen to her child if you did take the day off?

I'd be furious, that is so rude. Obviously what you charge in late fees isn't enough to stop her doing this so you might have to decide whether you want to continue looking after this child or not.

Miffy xx

FizzysFriends
13-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I think this parent is taking the :censored: You need to get tough. When she drops off today remind her you are closing at whatever time you close and when she says she wont be on time tell her she will have to arrange for someone else to collect and can she call you later to let you know who it will be.

If she doesn't turn up on time call the emergancy contact you have for the child.

A nursery wouldn't stay open late for a child and you shouldn't have to either. My DD's nursery would hand the child over to SS if a parent was more than 1 hour late (after nursery had closed).

Saranotts
13-02-2009, 08:22 AM
OMG .... how rude, this parent eeds to be reminded that you work set hours for her and that she needs to ask for additional hours and not just expect them as you have other commitments and parents to take into consideration.

Ooooooh I would be sooooooo cross.....

Sara

Mollymop
13-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I am shocked!:mad:

Bushpig
13-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Oh that's just plain rude! I would get a lot stricter with her :(

Lottie
13-02-2009, 09:23 AM
A nursery wouldn't stay open late for a child and you shouldn't have to either. My DD's nursery would hand the child over to SS if a parent was more than 1 hour late (after nursery had closed).

Yes but one of the reasons why people choose childminders is that we are more flexible in this respect than a nursery.
It doesn't take away the fact that this parent has what appears complete disregard for cuffleygirls contracts etc.

I would remind this parent of the contracted hours that she signed to and that you are self employed.

jessie1
13-02-2009, 09:32 AM
She is really taking the micky. I would remind her as well and maybe decide if you really wanna continue caring for the child if the parent makes no effort on her part. Good Luck

OrlandoBelle
13-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I would write a little note in your newsletter...say that as a parent yourself, you value the time you have with your own family and need time to yourself in the evening.

Failing that, you could ask her, as she has been late continuously this week, would she like to increase the hours on her contract. Tell her you are only insured for the time contracted and if she continues to arrive hours late to collect her child, she will be in breach of contract. 3 hours late is taking the pee!!!

How dare she have the audacity to tell you to take a day off!!! You are providing her a service that she is taking advantage of. What did you say to her when she said that??

FizzysFriends
13-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes but one of the reasons why people choose childminders is that we are more flexible in this respect than a nursery.
It doesn't take away the fact that this parent has what appears complete disregard for cuffleygirls contracts etc.

I would remind this parent of the contracted hours that she signed to and that you are self employed.

I wasn't suggesting that she did call SS just that being late is serious and that this parent is taking it that way and needs scare tactics maybe.

peanuts
13-02-2009, 10:19 AM
that is so rude showing you no respect. after 1 hour phone emergancy numbers and tell to pick up:eek:

OrlandoBelle
13-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I would also remind her that it is unfair on her child. He/she is expecting Mum to turn up at a specific time and she doesn't turn up. They must feel so anxious, thinking mummy doesn't want to come and get me. Poor mite. :(

Heaven Scent
13-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh dear me, why don't you suggest to her that as it is causing you to have to charge her exccessive fees that it may be to her advantage for you both to sit down together to re-negociate your contract to include the regular extra hours and then you and her child will know better where you stand and you can arrange your family time better.