PDA

View Full Version : door jammers /alarms?

aly
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
on my inspection, my inspector says I should have a door jammer/alarm as my front door is a pvc door. the only way to look it is keys.

she says for fire safety etc they prefer to have these rather than locking the front door as you could be searching for keys at the wrogn time.anyway I did buy one from wilkos but its the wrong type, this one was for a door that shuts flushed aginst each other...but my door overlaps etc.

does anyone know where I can get one??

thanks

FizzysFriends
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
So shes saying your door should be left unlocked?

aly
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
yes.

i know I thought that weird, but I can see the logic in it. the keyhole is low down so any3/4 yo will reach it anyway. if you lock the door and put the keys where they wont reach and in the case of a fire you are scrambling around looking for the keys.

FizzysFriends
12-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I see this as a safeguarding issue though. Where is their logic, you have to have a padlock on your gate to stop people getting in (as well as kids getting out) but you are expected to keep your front door open for anyone to get it.

Can't you keep the key by the door? In your pocket?

FizzysFriends
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Also it would make my house insurace invalid if someone walked through an unlocked door and walked off with my TV or something.

sarah707
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Not a good idea as you would be uninsured as well as how do you show you are safeguarding children from intruders?

All you need to do is keep your keys in your pocket on one of those stretchy things. That way if it's an emergency and you drop them, they will bounce back up again.

aly
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
TBH I don;t really know. it shouldn;t because they are coming into your house whether locked or unlocked, they had no right of access therefore shouldnt invalidate this.

i have a small hallway from living room. the kitchen is to the left of the front door and we keep all our keys on a hanger thingy so they are close by.

I think I will go with that because like you say its not very safe. I don;t leave the door open when I;m home with my kids anyway.

x

sarah707
12-02-2009, 09:52 PM
It makes a big difference to an insurance company between someone breaking into your house... and someone walking in off the street through an open door or climbing through an open window etc.

aly
12-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't mean an open door....an unlocked one....would that be same??

Ripeberry
12-02-2009, 09:56 PM
This is why i keep door keys on me at all times on a long chain (feel like a jailer) ;)

madasahatter
12-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I have one of those security chains on my upvc back door to prevent children's unsupervised exit (I have 7 steps). You just need to attach it using a drill to make a pilot hole and use self tapping screws. My outer front door is permanently locked (I have a porch) and the key kept on a hook on my inner door (also locked! not that I'm security concious, just that this was the original outer door before the porch was added)

rickysmiths
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
There was something about this on another thread earlier today. On that one they said it invalid our insurace if we kept keys on a hook and the police weren't happy either. The reason was that a mindee could get a chair climb up get the keys and hide them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! Has anyone had this happen? I think I might notice if a mindee started to drag a chair along my hall to the front door:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

No girls and boys you will all have to do what I do and have good old fashioned wooden front doors fitted. Just think how that would bump up the expenses for the year.:laughing: :laughing:

The whole thing is going mad and the worst is the total inconsistency of the mrs Ofsted.:eek:

Just a thought, do you Risk Assess yourself carrying the big bunch of keys for instance if you are bottle feeding a 4 month old. (:ROFL1: :crying: )

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
For goodness sake what on earth is going to be next:rolleyes:

I think your own judgement and common sense has got to come into this - give the fire department a call and ask them for advice as well. The premises needs to be secure so that means locking the door or using a chain or whatever it needs.

I think if you were to keep the door locked and key to the side on a hook (away from view, mindees(!) etc) - during your fire drills you could perhaps practice the best approach that works for you.

Actually I think all our doors should be entry buzzer, remote controlled with video and intercom links.:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
For goodness sake what on earth is going to be next:rolleyes:

I think your own judgement and common sense has got to come into this - give the fire department a call and ask them for advice as well. The premises needs to be secure so that means locking the door or using a chain or whatever it needs.

I think if you were to keep the door locked and key to the side on a hook (away from view, mindees(!) etc) - during your fire drills you could perhaps practice the best approach that works for you.

Actually I think all our doors should be entry buzzer, remote controlled with video and intercom links.:rolleyes:

Well that would bump up the expenses then!!!!:joker: :ROFL1:

miffy
12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
All you need to do is keep your keys in your pocket on one of those stretchy things. That way if it's an emergency and you drop them, they will bounce back up again.

That sounds like a good idea!

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
[/COLOR]

Well that would bump up the expenses then!!!!:joker: :ROFL1:

well I have just been doing a bit of quick "research" and I think perhaps an Iris Recognition and Latent Print Recognition might be an additional benefit to security as well. And I am typing out a policy as we speak that I will be insisting that all children in my care will either be tagged or microchipped that is linked to GPRS tracking devices.:D

miffy
12-02-2009, 11:00 PM
well I have just been doing a bit of quick "research" and I think perhaps an Iris Recognition and Latent Print Recognition might be an additional benefit to security as well. And I am typing out a policy as we speak that I will be insisting that all children in my care will either be tagged or microchipped that is linked to GPRS tracking devices.:D

I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously Pip :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

OrlandoBelle
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
My pre-reg inspector told me that I need to put a lock on my fire escape windows!!! Where's the logic in that? I live in a new house so fire regulation windows HAVE to be installed. It's the law. And they're telling me I have to lock them up incase a child goes all the way upstairs, goes into the bedroom, pulls all of the furniture out of the way, climbs up onto the windowsil and throws himself out of the window......yeah! Cos that'd happen :rolleyes: Honestly, I don't know what the world is coming to anymore.:(

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously Pip :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

Moi - being serious - how very dare you:eek: :eek: . No I fully believe that to implement full safety for children and peace of mind for parents but more importantly Mrs Ofsted then I (hand on heart) truely think we should all be considering these measures. Actually in addtion to my new policy entitled GPRS Tracking of Children and Personal Data Recognition System, I am going to be writing a letter to Ofsted, NCMA and the Childrens Minister suggesting these urgent changes be added to the Statutory Guidance of the EYFS

:D

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 11:07 PM
My pre-reg inspector told me that I need to put a lock on my fire escape windows!!! Where's the logic in that? I live in a new house so fire regulation windows HAVE to be installed. It's the law. And they're telling me I have to lock them up incase a child goes all the way upstairs, goes into the bedroom, pulls all of the furniture out of the way, climbs up onto the windowsil and throws himself out of the window......yeah! Cos that'd happen :rolleyes: Honestly, I don't know what the world is coming to anymore.:(

you just never know when you may have a child who likes to imitate a Lemming - so I think Ofsted may have a valid point!;) :D or if the child may have been watching something on tv that has given them the idea to go and try this new exciting activity of window diving.:D

Sorry, don't mean to be waffling absolute carp (yes I know its a deliberate typo!!! lol) but don't Osted come out with some bulldocks.

miffy
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
I am going to be writing a letter to Ofsted, NCMA and the Childrens Minister suggesting these urgent changes be added to the Statutory Guidance of the EYFS

:D

OH NO!!!!!!!! Please don't - they probably will take you seriously :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Miffy xx

ps can I look at your policy when you've finished it ;)

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 11:14 PM
of course Miffy.... :laughing: :laughing: but I have feeling you are taking the phish out of me (now I am all offended.... I am now scarred to the bone) and there was me thinking it was a brilliant idea.....:laughing:

actually Pauline is good a writing policies like this.... hey Pauline if you see this thread can you work up a good policy for microchipping, iris and latent print recognition entry systems and gps tracking devices for children.... lol

miffy
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Who? Me? As if I would :blush: :p

Time for me to go to bed I think :D

Miffy xx

aly
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
of course Miffy.... :laughing: :laughing: but I have feeling you are taking the phish out of me (now I am all offended.... I am now scarred to the bone) and there was me thinking it was a brilliant idea.....:laughing:

actually Pauline is good a writing policies like this.... hey Pauline if you see this thread can you work up a good policy for microchipping, iris and latent print recognition entry systems and gps tracking devices for children.... lol
lmao that is funny.

Seriously though, it was one of the 'need to do' things before I got registered {CSSIW} but it was one thing I didn;t do..naughty I know but I would rather go with my gut instinct and lock the doors...like I usually do and hang them on the hook like I always do. If I need to higher it I will do.

What happens if when she comes back next year to inspect me and noticies I haven;t done as she has asked? I am a bit scared now :blush:

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 11:31 PM
lmao that is funny.

Seriously though, it was one of the 'need to do' things before I got registered {CSSIW} but it was one thing I didn;t do..naughty I know but I would rather go with my gut instinct and lock the doors...like I usually do and hang them on the hook like I always do. If I need to higher it I will do.

What happens if when she comes back next year to inspect me and noticies I haven;t done as she has asked? I am a bit scared now :blush:

Sorry Aly, (didn't mean to go of on one) - take advice from your local health and safety and/or the fire/police (community beat bobby) service. They will tell you about the best methods to get you in and out of your house safely and how to help protect the kids inside as well. If they back up what offy are saying then ok fair dos if not you have expert opinion to justify why you haven't carried out the recommendation

Mollymop
13-02-2009, 01:24 PM
A hook with a key on up high next to the door is good enough for us minders round here. There's no way a child is going to be able to reach the key even standing a chair, which I would then wonder why the heck the child has taken a chair from my dining table in the first place! ha

gegele
13-02-2009, 03:08 PM
well firemen told me not to lock door, ofsted to lock door so i came up with aplan....

my front door if i lift the handle lock itself so you can't open it from the outside, but you can from the inside, a bit tricky for under 3. so that keep the intruder out and firemen happy.

then i keep a key not far from door but hidden by boiler kid of thing

and i baught alarm thiny to put door which separate lobby area from frontroom so if a clever clog decide to take a chair, eat the key manage my front door to run with a stranger the alarm goes off!!

genius!!!

4 alarms for 2.50at lidl.

happy

mushpea
13-02-2009, 04:02 PM
we to have a pvc door that when the handle is lifted up you cant open from the outside but can be open from the inside but i don't lock it with a key, at the very top of the door we put a sliding bolt which i keep locked when we are in the house, this keeps the children in and strangers out , it also keeps my OH out cause when he unlocks the door form the outside obviously the lock is still on the inside :D i do let him eventualy though