PDA

View Full Version : Outings RA

Tatjana
12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I've just done one risk assessment for outings, not individual ones. I read a thread which mentioned RA's for each outing...surely this can't be right? Is this really necessary?

I can't have anymore paperwork, it's too much.......:panic:

xx

sarah707
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
The statutory requirements of the Eyfs - these are the must do or you are illegal bits, say -

Outings

Children must be kept safe whilst on outings.

For each type of outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment, which includes an assessment of required adult:child ratios. This assessment must take account of the nature of the outing, and consider whether it is appropriate to exceed the normal ratio requirements (as set out in this document), in accordance with providers’ procedures for supervision of children on outings. The assessment must be reviewed before embarking on each specific outing.

The Statutory guidance - these are the should do bits, say -

Providers should obtain written parental permission for children to take part in outings.

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings, for example, contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing, first aid kit, a mobile phone.

Records should be kept about vehicles in which children are transported, including insurance details and a list of named drivers. Drivers using their own transport should have adequate insurance cover.

So yes, it's very very important :D

Tatjana
12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I've got all that down in my outing RA, so the one i've done covers it then, hoorah!:jump for joy:

I thought the thread i'd read meant doing one each for eg. school run, park, local shop etc

Thanks Sarah!

xx

FizzysFriends
12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I think if does mean one for school run, one for park etc etc. Because they will be so different they need an individual one.

sarah707
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I've got all that down in my outing RA, so the one i've done covers it then, hoorah!:jump for joy:

I thought the thread i'd read meant doing one each for eg. school run, park, local shop etc

Thanks Sarah!

xx

Yes sorry it does... it says 'For each type of outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment'... that means one for the beach, one for the park, one for the shops, one for the duck pond, one for toddlers, one for the library, one for soft play, one for school runs etc.

A minder from on here told everyone she got marked down only the other day because she'd missed her normal Friday outing off hers :(

Happy Feet
12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm working on my RA's at the moment, i've not had a problem doing around the house and garden, also done a daily checklist so I can make sure everything is covered. I'm having trouble making a start on the outings....does anyone have an example so I can get an idea of how I should be doing it? I understand that mine will be unique to my setting/outings but an idea of how it should be done would be really useful....

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me guidance :thank you:

xx

hello kitty
12-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Google "5 steps to risk assessment". :)

Tatjana
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
OMG, i think i'll be cutting down on the amount of outings i had in mind!

But i think most of it would be repetitive anyway?

Ah well, *sigh* back to the drawing board...again...

Thanks y'all!

xx

Pipsqueak
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes you are right some of it is quite repetitive BUT you do need to do them. Don't forget - people choose a childminder because we can offer the extras - like outings, that nurseries cannot just up and do (the logistics of taking xxx amount of children out etc). Thats the beauty of being a childminder isn't it - that we can be so free and spontaneous.

You don't need to cut down on your outings - you are still pre-reg so you have plenty of time to go and walk and test out your routes. You just need to think about the implications of having xx amount of different aged children with you.

I have outings RA's for beach - redcar, saltburn (2 as they are different locations and I quickly reassess depending on how I am getting there - bus or train, car), 4 different parks, school run, toddler, shops - local and shops - town, library (x2 we visit two different ones) toy library, soft play (4 different locations) drops in (x3) and then I RA for larger scale non routine outings - I am sure I have forgotten some somewhere:rolleyes: - oh yes 2 different woods/forests. Then I have all the ones for the home and garden

When you Risk Assess remember its not about eliminating all risk - its about minimising it. Bromley have some nice simple templates to start with.