PDA

View Full Version : help needed i don't know what to do

vicki1
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
hello girls can you please hep me
i have being childminding from march 2008 i didn't start work until sep 08 which is part time i get £90 a week. i have had lots of phone calls they come round and see me and say they will get back to me and they never do. then i had an email yesterday saying they need care for a three year old full time can i help to start today again after her saying she was going to ring me back then didn't. but i thouhgt to myself oh well i still have another baby starting in march which is £60 a week then today she has phoned and said found another childminder who lives in the next road. i just feel like giving up i can't afford to keep on living like this. and i am due in aug i just feel so low and just want to cry. my hubby said last night we can't keep on going on like this i don't know what to do

devoncm
12-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Ifeel like that sometimes, ive been reg since aug 07, had a few kids, never been full and just have one after school who also comes in hols, had no enquiries for ages, and have now decided i might give it when baby born in aug if dont get anymore enquiries.

Chin up things might get better soon.x

huggableshelly
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
from a parents point of view ...

parents may be thinking in their minds that once your baby arrives will they be left in the lurch with no childminder, what will they do when you take time off for the first few days with your newborn.
A non pregant childminder is more appealing so the concerns of planning cover are not there.

From a childminfers point of view do not take the knock backs personally unfortunatly these things happen, maybe the other childminder has offered a cheaper fee or hours are more flexible there are so many elements as to why you are not gaining any children right now.

I would suggest that you continue on as oyu are and relaxe, adding pressure isnt going to help you or your baby but I also know it isnt going to solve the money issue either.

Keep your chin up something will come along, remember you have a baby to think about too.

Shelly

RedDragon
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
If it's getting to the point where you may be deciding to pack it in I suppose you could explain to each parent that comes that after each visit you send them a short letter (with a stamped addressed envelope in it) asking them for feedback - if they choose you or not. You could say this helps on what I can improve on and what my strengths are.

OrlandoBelle
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree with Red Dragon about the feedback form. Also you could do a yearly calender of all your holidays and put on there the weeks where you will not be able to provide care. This way the parent knows to book those weeks off work or find alternative care. You could do this for two weeks before you're due and two weeks (or however long you plan to have off) after you've given birth.

We are planning to get pregnant in the summer and I plan to only take 2-3 weeks maternity leave after i've had the baby (all going well). It shows the parent that they can rely on your services and that you will be able to have their children, pregnant or not. You could say something like having a baby around the house with their child will increase their awareness and "KUW" and will increase their confidence, helping you to look after the baby (PSRN)!!

Failing that, you could advertise now for the february and easter half terms and hope to fill your spaces. Have you advertised in many places?

Hope all goes well and you get some mindees soon. x

rickysmiths
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Design youself a brochure.
Just on A4, mine is folded in 3 length ways. I have
My name 'Rickysmiths' Promoting the development and welfare of children.

OFSTED registered Good Jan 2008
Quality Standards Accredited (dec 2006)

The NCMA and Quality Accreditation logos on the front.

Then I have a short bit under each of these heading which were a summery of my policies. I am going to redesign it following Every Child Matters.

Under the heading 'Whar can Rickysmith's offer your child......

Organisation -adult / child ratios meet Ofsteds requirements, organise space and resourses to meet childrens needs. Training and qualifications kept up to date.

Equal Opp
Learning and Play
Out and About
Preschool,Nursery & School
Food & Drink
Health & Safety
Behaviour
Sickness

the above is on on side of the A4 in columns so it can be folded in three.

On one of the back columns:

Fees
Admission
Safeguarding Children
Opening Times
Quality Assurance
Ofsted - Querries and Complaints about a childminder 0845 640 40 40
NCMA logo I am a member and insured through

The other back column has a map of how to find me, my address and phone numbers and email

I have an enquiry sheet in a small folder by the phone, when i get a call I ask name address phone number in case I have to ring back.
I note down the age and dob of the child and name
When care is required - time, days and when they want to start care.
Note down the time and date of the call
Note the day, time and date of a visit.

This may seem a lot but I found I would loose bits of paper this way it is all in one place.
Even if I know I have not got a place, I take all the details, one of my cm friends may be able to help (I ask if they would like me to pass on details, if I do I ring back and tell them) Also I never Know when I might find myself with a unexpected vacancy and if the enquiry if for a future date at least I can contact them again.

Then I usually try to drop a brochure through there door, I can see where they live, have an idea of how they will travel to my house, what school they may use now or on the future etc etc it is a way of building a picture and they don't feel like complete strangers we they visit me. If I can't visit then I pop a brochure in the post. It is a good intro to you and your business and not many people do it so it sets you aside from other cms in your area. (Mind you you'll all be doing it now!!!!!!:laughing: )

This also puts me in the parents house and they feel more familiar about what they are coming to see. If they don't come or don't choose me that time at least they have the brochure in a folder or drawer for the future.

With you, you must have a plan in place to cover your maternity leave. Can you work with other childminders in the area who could have your children? We work together to help each other for this kind of thing. I'm sure if you can demonstrate to the parents you have they would feel more confident about using you.

I ask parents to ring me, many don't so I give them a ring, some relly do forget and are pleased if you call.

Make sure you have all your details as fully as possible on the CIS web site. Not just the bare minimum.Make sure you include the school etc you will go to.
Take details of your vacancies and a brief bit about youself to all your local schools- they have to keep them-part of the 'Wrap Around Care' thing. Also local preschools may be prepared to put a card up on the door and keep details.

Don't feel beholden to the parents, remeber it is YOU that is providing a service they need and you are inviting them into your home. A home and service of which you are very proud.

Good luck I'm sure things will begin to look up.

jibberjitz
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Hope things pick up soon for you :)

Liz

vicki1
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
thanks girls i still don't know what to do. i will have to have a think about things as i love my job and can't think of doing anythink else