PDA

View Full Version : Outside Tap Advice Needed

mummyof3
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I've just received a letter from ofsted :angry: to say I need to write and explain my actions for making the garden safe and it needs to be carried out by 18th Feb :eek: :eek: :eek: I am waiting for my CRB etc etc so I wasn't planning on minding anyway for at least 8-12wks. Bit of a shock actually she said I had to tell her my actions not actually DO them yet!

Anyway, she also said that she did not like my outside tap - now I know most people have these - what can I do to make it safe?

I said it would be tight so they couldn't switch it on, also I would fully supervise but this wasn't enough :rolleyes: - what else can I do .......:eek:

sarah707
11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
:huh:

Mine has the hose attached to it all the time and the hose is coiled on 2 big hooks fixed high up on the wall. It's got a big black bin that I use for footballs in front of it... I've risk assessed it and it's never presented a problem.

What was the problem with yours? was it too sticky outy or was she worried about children turning it on?

mummyof3
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Its sticking out of the wall but she was concerned they could turn the tap on.

wendywu
11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
So they would get a bit wet, its not like it is hot water. Whats the problem:panic:

Minstrel
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
so they'd get wet!

I dont understand the problem here maybe someone could enlighten me. I have an outside tap and have just made sure it drains away properly and doesnt cause a standing water hazard. what else are we supposed to do???

Minstrel
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
So they would get a bit wet, its not like it is hot water. Whats the problem:panic:

ooo i'm glad we are thinking along the same lines here!

crazybones
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Mine is similar to Sarah's but they plastic playhouse slightly obscures it. Hope they dont come round to me in the summer hols when I am squirting them all with the hose :eek: :laughing:

pinklady
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
My children seem to get their sleeves drenched upto the elbows just washing hands in the house...they don't need to go outside to get wet:blush:

Sometimes I really do wonder.........:huh:

Esther xx

mummyof3
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Well I've rang osfted and they have agreed to take my garden off the registration for now until I can make it safe. I told them to expect me to complete it in 1wk in this weather was impossible!

I asked about the tap and they said it has to be made safe for the children to not access it and not be able to turn it on. I'm going to try what Sarah does and put a hose on it and attach a reel to the wall and hope this is enough!:rolleyes: If not I'll try and remove the handle off the tap that will stop them turning it on :laughing:

I give up trying to please ofsted they are in a different league to us mere mortals obviously :laughing:

mum22
11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
blimey..... heaven forbid a child should get water on them, do they disintegrate then ??? anyone had this happen to them yet ?? :laughing: right now i have had my bit of sarcasm for today someone else's turn:thumbsup:

Alibali
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
This is ridiculous!! mine use the outside tap in the summer to wash their hands before snack!!! I think these people make things up ax they go along Risk assess it yourself and prove to them you have thought about it. Getting wet!!! My oh My.

Alibali
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
oh and i hope you don't ket the children wash their hands after toileting, they might get wet, heaven forbid

LOOPYLISA
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
:eek: Whatever next, my pre reg lady never said a word !!!

pinklady
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
blimey..... heaven forbid a child should get water on them, do they disintegrate then ??? anyone had this happen to them yet ?? :laughing: right now i have had my bit of sarcasm for today someone else's turn:thumbsup:

Maybe they think we'll be minding gremlins..:eek: But you only have to avoid getting them wet after midnight!!:laughing:

Esther xx

rickysmiths
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
:huh:

Mine has the hose attached to it all the time and the hose is coiled on 2 big hooks fixed high up on the wall. It's got a big black bin that I use for footballs in front of it... I've risk assessed it and it's never presented a problem.

What was the problem with yours? was it too sticky outy or was she worried about children turning it on?

Mine is the same a Sarah but I have also been able to put a small fence infront
it is one of the free standing concertina ones from Kleeneze, it just forms a barrier. I have one at the end of the garden blocking my compost bins as well.

Tatjana
11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I can't believe i'm reading this, a tap is a hazard? Why is a tap indoors different from a garden tap? Absolutely ridiculous.

xx

Pauline
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Well looking at it from Ofsted's point of view a baby can drown in just a small puddle of water so perhaps that is their way of thinking if an older child turned the tap on?

Having said that you wouldn't leave a baby unattended but again their argument would be that you might in a serious emergency or if you were taken ill/injured while the children were outside.

:)

Minstrel
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
i may have to risk assess how i can stop the rain falling from the sky:rolleyes:

Spangles
11-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Gosh it wouldn't have crossed my mind that an outside tap might be a hazard - how odd!

Heaven Scent
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Mine is right outside my back door and no one has ever commented on it. So long as the water can drain away and doesn't form a puddle then what is the problem. I think a water tray used for water play or a basin on a low table with water in for washing up or water play can be a much bigger hazard than running water that drains away. Also I wouldn't take the head off the tap as the head usually has rounded ends on it and when you take the head off you are left with a rather dangerous squared off spike sticking up that a child could do serious damage to their face or eye on.

As everyone else says so what if they get wet. :angry: :angry:

wendywu
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
This is just this inspector wanting to write something down.:angry:

Mine is outside, OK it is over a covered drain. But i got outstanding so it was not that much of a problem was it.:panic:

I dont know why we bother really as it is a case of you will never be able to cover everything to please them.:panic:

madasahatter
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
My outside tap has never been commented on. The children often use it in summer for filling watering cans, buckets etc. Mine does however turn off from inside the house too (stop-tap in cupboard under sink) which I use in winter just because the children would always be turning it on and getting cold and wet (and we go through enough clothes changes as it is). I've never been asked about how I keep it safe, ever.

Twinkles
11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I suggest we bubble wrap the children and not let them do anything fun , ok ?

Ooo I'd love a look around an OFSTED inspectors home , especially if she has children :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
My outside tap has never been commented on. The children often use it in summer for filling watering cans, buckets etc. Mine does however turn off from inside the house too (stop-tap in cupboard under sink) which I use in winter just because the children would always be turning it on and getting cold and wet (and we go through enough clothes changes as it is). I've never been asked about how I keep it safe, ever.

Same here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems to be getting crazy some of the things they are coming up with - do they not realise these are our HOMES!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Heaven Scent
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I suggest we bubble wrap the children and not let them do anything fun , ok ?

Ooo I'd love a look around an OFSTED inspectors home , especially if she has children :rolleyes:

I don't agree you are going far enough here I think we need to pad them out with cotton wool first :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

misst104
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
i may have to risk assess how i can stop the rain falling from the sky:rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pinklady
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I spoke to my hubby about this and he said we would just turn the tap off from inside the house. I need to ask him where it is though:blush:

Esther xx

Ripeberry
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
My pre-reg inspector never said anything about the hose! Or anything else for that matter. Never had a form to do any actions and my certificate does not exclude any part of my house.
I suppose you could just build some kind of "cage" around the tap and hose with some 2 by 2 and chicken wire with some hinges at the bottom and a lock at the top.
The whole thing would be out of bounds to the mindees but adults with the key could use it.
That's what i'm going to do with my outside tap and hose if it gets messed around with too much in the summer :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I also have a hose connector on my tap and even it it is switched on there is a valve to block it coming out. Just attached a hose to it.

Ripeberry
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM
The tap is a bit too easy to turn on in my garden and if it has sufficient pressure the hose connector "pops" off anyway. So i would have to build a cage :(

mummyof3
11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the replys its cheered me up thats for sure!! :laughing:

I'm still gobsmacked over this, think we are going to put a hose on it and attach to wall and put a paving stone under so there is no gathering of water! If this isn't enough I haven't a clue what to do !! I had an inspector that expected the impossible obviously!:rolleyes:

wendywu
11-02-2009, 10:29 PM
What a age to put he children in ripeberry, thats a good idea. Not sure if Ofsted would like it though:laughing:

Ripeberry
15-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Ha, ha! A cage for the hose! No Ofsted would not like the other option :laughing: