PDA

View Full Version : Child having crisps and choc at 8.30 am

LottieLuLu
11-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Can you help with some tactful way of mentioning that a packet of Quavers and/or a Terrys Choc Orange bar is not the best thing for a 2 year old to eat in the buggy on your way to the CM?

Please bear in mind this is a member of extended family so offence taken may have repercussions.

That 'well, she shouts if she doesn't get it' is the likely response.

Why oh why would anyone do this to their child?

angeldelight
11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I had a child of 10 that used to do this and the mom said it had been their breakfast for years

Very difficult when the child is expecting it and the parents dont support you and they supply this food to their child

I now have a rule that children are not allowed to bring crisps or sweets here
If they do it stays in their bag till home time

I used the excuse that the other children were expecting the same so it was unfair to let their child do this

I just cant understand though why parents do this in the first place - crisps are just so unhealthy but lots of parents give them every day for their children - I see them walking to school eating them

I guess its more difficult for you if its family
Maybe you could say you have to concentrate on healthy eating ( which you do anyway ) but say you are going to discourage children from bringing unhealthy food and that goes for everyone
Maybe you could suggest they bring fruit instead ?

Mad

Hope you sort it out good luck

Angel xx

tinkerbelle
11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
i had one chld aged 2 who cam,e to me with a pack of prawn cocktail walkers every morning at 6.30am when mumhad left i swapped them for raisins or cereal child cried first couple of times but then started handing me the bag as soon as she got here
i hate this its hard enough at times giving my kids a healthy breakfast when mindees turn up with treats

charlie28
11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I ve a child aged 3 that comes everyday at 7am with chocolate and biscuits. When mum and dad has gone I take them off the child and said they can have them later. He has a pay for a minuate then he has breakfast with the other children then.

crazybones
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I used to pick up a 3yr old on my way past on the school run and he would come out with a lollipop in his mouth. I dont like lollipops at the best of times but a 3yr old (who was quite clumsy anyway) walking with a lollipop scared me so I would do this trick where i would bend to fix his hat and......oooops your lollipop is on the floor. Never mind we will get something else when we get back home. :blush: :D

sarah707
11-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I now have a rule that children are not allowed to bring crisps or sweets here
If they do it stays in their bag till home time. Angel xx

I am exactly the same as Angel! :D

LOOPYLISA
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I used to pick up a 3yr old on my way past on the school run and he would come out with a lollipop in his mouth. I dont like lollipops at the best of times but a 3yr old (who was quite clumsy anyway) walking with a lollipop scared me so I would do this trick where i would bend to fix his hat and......oooops your lollipop is on the floor. Never mind we will get something else when we get back home. :blush: :D

Me too, hate lollipops !

venus89
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
My kids are lucky if they have a packet of crisps a week and my mindees have to bring helathy food if they provide their own. But what they eat before they come really isn't my business, unless it's affecting their behaviour. i have a friend who allows her kids a bag of crisps a day. They asked for them after breakfast the other day and she let them, reasoning that having them then was not going to be any more harmful than having them with, say, lunch. I have to admit she has a point.....

If it was me I'd gethold of some healthy eating info for all the families (The Dairy Council have some good free infomation) to hand out. Operate a healthy eating policy so the crisps and chocolate don't happen in your house. And maybe suggest alternatives - fruit flakes to start with, then downgrade to dried fruit etc. But at the end of the day if Mum gives her cripss in her time, what can you do?

barbarella68
11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Not all crisp are unhealthy,baked ones aren't and they are delicious:)

mandy moo
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
What about making homemade crisps, and send the recipe and a sample home in daily diary/bookbag!

HomefromHome
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
i'm clear in my food and snacks policy (i mentioned this in another thread i think) that choc, sweets and crisps and fizzy drinks are a treat and shall be treated as such (parties for example).
i ask parents to respect that other children in my setting inc my dd do not have these things so please do not bring them. if you're upfront at the beginning then it's easier to say something if they do let their kids do this - saying that it is harder when family/friends! so you have my sympathies! i would just say to them to exchange it for a fruit bar thingy or something similar!:)

Bananabrain
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I had a two yr old mindee whose mum gave her crisps etc on bus on way to mine every day.

When mum initially came to see me,she said she was looking for a minder that cooked home-made food!!!!!

I said: you've come to the right place.

I had many conversations with mum because she just didn't understand why the child would not eat any fruit or veg at mine AT ALL!

What are they like?:laughing:

mushpea
11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
:rolleyes: i've had this before, itried explaining to dad that the eating of sweets once at mine was unfair on the other children and the next day he turned up with enough packs of sweets for each child:eek: not quite the idea! so the next time i said straight to the child, oh those look good but their going to have to go in my cupboard till home time as the others can't have theirs till then. the dad gave me a funny look so i told him the other paents wern;t happy about their kid eating sweets everyday first thing in the morning and also that i operate a healthy eating policy here!!
finaly we got the hint

LottieLuLu
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Thank you all so much. I do give out a healthy eating policy but it's ignored. One of my other older mindees has had major food issues so eats exactly what he likes, and none of the family eat vegetables except potatoes.

When my organic veg box arrives they are aghast!!

I think I'll revise the policy this weekend and then say I've been advised that it will go against me at inspection if I'm not seen to be offering 'Healthy Snacks'.

Thanks again LL

Bananabrain
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
This is such a hard one.When I started minding I used to cook for 5 juniors every day.I was even spending my Sundays making home-made casseroles.

Now I will only do eve meal for little ones{ 'cos they have to go to bed earlier}

I found it really difficult pleasing all of the children bearing in mind they all come from diff backgrounds,cultures and all parents have diff standards,and still keeping to ofsted guidelines.

I got to the point where I felt like I was running a restaurant!

The thing that ofsted don't take on board is that there are alot of parents out there who just don't care what their children eat.

RedDragon
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Put it in your newsletter and make a joky comment saying (this includes relatives lol) - say that this month is all about healthy eating and that you are seeing if you can all eat extra healthily in the month of March (then in April say due to such a successful healthy eating month we are going to continue into May........)