PDA

View Full Version : POTTY TRAINING

donnadoo2004200
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi any advice on potty training, parent has asked could I start to potty train child she is 2yrs and quite intelligent, I removed the nappy last week and she sat on the potty happily quite a few times with no results, but then she would get off and pee elsewhere (floor mainly or my lap). I dont know what to do next any advice please. She is with me fulltime 7-7 5 days. She is such a sweetie, parent dont want to use pullups as she said it is still like a nappy.
HELP:panic: :panic: :panic:

crazybones
11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Sound like the old story - the child isnt ready and the parents want you to do the hard work. I have a potty training policy which states I will help THEM with the potty training but will only accept a child out of nappies/pull ups when the child is able to indicate they need the potty. I advise the parent takes a week off work and does it themselves. I have potty trained a few children now and only during the last few weeks have I done my own 3 year old son. I had tried him a few times over the last 12 months and he wasnt interested (even though I wanted him to be :laughing: ) but now that he is ready it has clicked into place and he has only had one accident in the last 2 weeks. He is also at an age where he understands his reward chart which helps a lot :clapping:

I think you need a word with the parents. Sounds like she is not ready. I do agree with not wearing pull-ups because I personally dont like them either but I also dont like my furniture being wet. :rolleyes:

Daftbat
11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I agree with the no pull ups idea - so long as there is something there they will wee.

I would try another day with a bare bottom and see if you get anywhere and if not then go back in to nappies and try again in a couple of weeks. If you keep trying when child not ready then you only end up getting stressed. If you explain to the parents what you are doing i am sure they will be fine. All children go at different rates and it may be that she needs a couple of months more in nappies. I think its difficult for parents to take the time off work to sort this out because you can only do it when the child is ready and they will probably book the wrong week off work.

Hope it helps.

sarah707
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
You work with the parents!

They start off at home and when the child is pretty used to the idea and getting good at it... THEN you support as much as possible.

They need to take a week or 2 off and sort their own child out. This is not your responsibility.

Daftbat
11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
You work with the parents!

They start off at home and when the child is pretty used to the idea and getting good at it... THEN you support as much as possible.

They need to take a week or 2 off and sort their own child out. This is not your responsibility.

Sorry but how does a single mum take a couple of weeks off to sort out potty training? Some of my parents only get three weeks annual leave anyway and they could misjudge the time to take the leave and still end up with no potty training finished. I agree that we work with parents which i interpret as doing whatever is reasonably required to ensure that a child continues their development. Afterall potty training comes under PSED? I have potty trained too many kids to remember and it has worked really well just deciding between us when to start and ensuring that we are all doing the same thing. We go back in to nappies if its really not working and try again in a couple of weeks.

Polly2
11-02-2009, 08:47 AM
personally I would wait until warmer weather.

Then you can spend lots of time in the garden where it doesn't matter :)

louised
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
If parents aren't able to take time off then the potty training has to start at the weekend, that way the parent will have had at least 2 days of nappy free time where they are able to stay at home and concentrate on potty training, if it is the right time 2 days is enough time to judge whether things are going in the right direction, if not then nappies back on and try again later.

cuffleygirl
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Thank you Lazybones what an excellent way of stating potty training policy, I have been battling with the parents of a nearly 3 year old mindee for about a year and it has really got me down and your policy really supports me and the mindee and puts the responsibility back with the parent!

I am so so grateful I can't tell you

I've potty trained my four children and several mindee's so know what I am doing and the parent seems to want me to do it for them and I have no support from them, I can wee in the potty on demand but won't tell me that he needs to go, resulting in accidents as parents want to teach him to do this. and I know his mum uses nappies at her convenience he is promised bribes if he doesn't wee where he shouldn't these treats are given whether he wees on my sofa or not!

His mum is expecting a new baby and the 'accidents' are more frequent!

crazybones
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you Lazybones what an excellent way of stating potty training policy, I have been battling with the parents of a nearly 3 year old mindee for about a year and it has really got me down and your policy really supports me and the mindee and puts the responsibility back with the parent!

I am so so grateful I can't tell you

I've potty trained my four children and several mindee's so know what I am doing and the parent seems to want me to do it for them and I have no support from them, I can wee in the potty on demand but won't tell me that he needs to go, resulting in accidents as parents want to teach him to do this. and I know his mum uses nappies at her convenience he is promised bribes if he doesn't wee where he shouldn't these treats are given whether he wees on my sofa or not!

His mum is expecting a new baby and the 'accidents' are more frequent!

Hey...I aint Lazy.....just Crazy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

charlie28
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
The parents needs to start the potty training. i have a little boy and mum brings him in nappies and then expects me to train him. i told them u need to start and will continue.

Minstrel
11-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey...I aint Lazy.....just Crazy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

me thinks a freudian slip.....:clapping:

donnadoo2004200
11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, I will try to talk to parents. Tried again today ended up with a wet lap again. lo did say im very sorry and my hair looked pretty, she so cute how could I be cross with her:panic:

Lincsminder
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
For a start we don't do potty training in this house they go straight on the toilet. I had one little boy who (at home) had his potty in front of the telly so he could sit and watch whilst having a poo / wee. He really struggled to get the hang of holding it in until he could get to the toilet because he was used to doing it whilst doing something else. In my opinion if they can't hold it enough time to get to the toilet they aren't ready I will not have potties all over my house. He also used to get confused because they would constantly swap between using nappies and pants.

I wait until they understand the feelings so I ask if they need a wee and put them on the toilet after meals and drinks etc. If they go give praise and if they get the hang of this they are in pants/ knickers with no turning back.

So for example with ds (2y 5months) I noticed he was dry most nights, so first thing in the morning I would put him on the toilet and he would go, gave praise which meant he wanted to do it again. After his breakfast and lunch I would ask again. This went on for 2 weeks and on Sunday I put pants on him, he had a few accidents on Monday when he had trousers on but no problems since. (touch wood)

Now the big issue is this will only work if they are ready and can tell you they need a wee it is pointless doing it before then.