PDA

View Full Version : How many children & what ages?

libbyb
30-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi guys :waving:

Hope you don't mind me joining you? I am currently on maternity leave after having my 3rd baby and have decided that I am not going to return to work but train to become a childminder.
I am due to go on my briefing on Feb 20th but I was wondering f anyone can tell me how many children and what aged I will be able to look after. My own children are as follows-
Eldest daughter 6 years old - at school
Eldest son 4 years old - at school
Youngest - 7 months

I am very exicted at the prospect of starting my own childminding business but also very scared at the same time????

Just one other question.....from your experiences is it fair to say that you mind term time only?

Thanks in advance

Libby

avril
30-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi

I'm registered for 4 children, 2 of which can be aged under 5yrs but only x1 of those can be under 1yrs and then x2 children aged 5-8yrs. I also have x2 children of my own aged 2yrs and 4yrs but if I didn't have these I would have been registered for 6 children.

I hope you understand all that :laughing:

I'm only registered to use part of the house aswell so limited space.

Avril

avril
30-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi again, forgot to say yes fine to say only want to mind term time only that's all my friend does GOOD LUCK:jump for joy:

Avril :laughing:

sutherland
30-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Libby, i think the following is right

max you can get reg for is 6 under 8's of which only 3 can be under 5 and of these only 1 under 1.

So u would prob get 1 under 5 and 2 over 5

depends on space u have too

katickles
30-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi
I'm registered to have 5 children. Of these no more than 2 can be under 5 (but not under 1) & 3 children between 5 - 8.

Reason for no under 1's at the mo is because my baby has that place!!:)

6 is the usual no but tey do take your children into account, so your 7mth old will take a place. Your others are at school so will leave you spare places.

Hope this helps

:p

Angela234
30-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi i am registered to have 6 children
3 under 5 of those only 1 under1
3 age 5-8 years

If your 4 year old goes to school full time he will count as a 5 year old

Numbers also decided on the space you have

I have no young children of my own thats why i can have 6

I work in the school holidays as well althrough 3 of my families don't use me then.

Good luck

Angela

libbyb
30-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Thank you for your quick reply!

I have so many questions I don't know where to start really!!!!

My house is fairly big, we had a big purpose built playroom for our kids built 3 years ago which give us bags of room plus the rest of the house!!!

There seems so much info to get my head round - I hope you won't mind me bugging you ladies over the next few weeks!

Thanks again

Libby

libbyb
30-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi i am registered to have 6 children
3 under 5 of those only 1 under1
3 age 5-8 years

If your 4 year old goes to school full time he will count as a 5 year old

Numbers also decided on the space you have

I have no young children of my own thats why i can have 6

I work in the school holidays as well althrough 3 of my families don't use me then.

Good luck

Angela

Yes my 4 year old goes to school full time bless him - he's worn out!!!

libbyb
30-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi again, forgot to say yes fine to say only want to mind term time only that's all my friend does GOOD LUCK:jump for joy:

Avril :laughing:

Thanks for you reply - its all so very nerve wracking!!!! I'm sure all will become clear once I've been to my briefing session!

katickles
30-01-2008, 09:48 PM
The best place to get info is here !:clapping: :clapping:

There is always somebody who knows the answers to your questions, its great.:jump for joy:

x

Twinkles
30-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi Libby and welcome.
When my own children were small I only minded during term time. You will not be able to charge a retainer for school hols though which is fine if you can manage without the money. I only used to mind for teachers children , they were grateful to find someone who wouldn't charge for holidays.
Good luck with this.

markymarkmark
31-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi,

My partner and I are considering childminding between us.

I know that the limit per person is 6 (changing according to ages), but does that automatically double if theres two minders?

What about space? How do OFSTED work out space requirements? I.e. how much space does each child need according to their rules?

Cheers,
Mark. :)

LittleMissSparkles
31-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,

My partner and I are considering childminding between us.

I know that the limit per person is 6 (changing according to ages), but does that automatically double if theres two minders?

What about space? How do OFSTED work out space requirements? I.e. how much space does each child need according to their rules?

Cheers,

Hi Mark

Do you wantto start a new thread in thissection you will get more response and you will be able to see your replies more clearly.

just quickly though no the numbers you are allowed will not automatically double, lots of factorsare considered such as your own children and the space you have available for them etc

xxx

Pauline
31-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Cheers,

As Susan says it might be worth starting a new thread but to answer the above - Ofsted have a child/space ratio listed in the Childminding Standards booklet which you can order free from them.