PDA

View Full Version : own children make me mad

jacky
10-02-2009, 01:20 PM
i am so fed up at the moment my 14yr old son is diabetic and is really rebelling and not taking his insulin and medication as he should. as a result we ended up in hosptial so have been up there most of the night with him home to recieve mindees then back up there again this morn. i am so tired and sooooo angry with him. i feel like giving up as no matter which way i play it with him it dosent make any difference. he hates being diabetic and is constantly hungry and secretly snacks and doent take the right amount of insulin. i feel like running away:mad:

Twinkles
10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh poor you you must not only be tired but so worried as well.

Can the hospital help with counselling for him ? They must be used to teenagers in denial about their condition.

FizzysFriends
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Sorry you are having a tough time.

Can you ask the Dr to talk to him about the risks of not controlling his diabetes properly? Or the Ed phyc through school?

Spangles
10-02-2009, 01:45 PM
That must be very frightening.

Can't the doctors suggest anything? Is there a diabetic clinic that can offer you some advice? They must have seen this happening before and have some ideas surely?

Hope he comes out of this stage quickly, it must be very hard for him to accept he has this for the rest of his life.

x

avril
10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh no sounds like you have been having a tough time lately.
I agree with Twinkles and Fizzysfriends there must be someone available to back you up and help talk/counsel your son.

Hope all goes well and things improve

barbarella68
10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
You are right he is in denial that is because you can't see the diabetes.I have been diabetic for 11 years,and I can't quite believe I have it still.
A counsellor would be good idea.

Pedagog
10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
i am so fed up at the moment my 14yr old son is diabetic and is really rebelling and not taking his insulin and medication as he should. as a result we ended up in hosptial so have been up there most of the night with him home to recieve mindees then back up there again this morn. i am so tired and sooooo angry with him. i feel like giving up as no matter which way i play it with him it dosent make any difference. he hates being diabetic and is constantly hungry and secretly snacks and doent take the right amount of insulin. i feel like running away:mad:
Jacky, my 14 (sorry almost 15) year old daughter is a Type 1 too, so I know how hard it can be.

Can't suggest a lot other than have a chat with his Diabetic Nurse. Are you members of Diabetes UK, they often have activities for Young Diabetics to do together. We are lucky that our local hospital organises weekends etc for young diabetics.

My daughter went through a phase of not taking her insulin properly, some very gory pictures of Diabetics who had lost toes etc did the trick, that a good talking to by her Diabetic Nurse.

Do you think a similar aged penpal/email pal would help? If so I'm sure my daughter would be happy to have a chat with him by MSM or what ever.

Shirlwith3
10-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I have no advice to give but I really feel for you as my bestfriend her sister (40+)died last week from a biabetic coma as she was not taking care of her self, not taking her insulin properly, my friend had many times called her on the phone to find her on the verg of going in to a coma.

Shirl

Tatia
10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi girl. I'm sorry to hear this. I'll text you in a minute to see how you are. I don't have any advice other than string him up by his ears and beat him. It won't change his attitude but at least you'll feel better! :D

jacky
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
thanks for all the advice and words of support but this has ben an ongoing battle. i also have a 16 yr old with diabetes who is a model patient. my ex husband (theirdad) is also diabetic and is now registered blind through not looking after himself. it seems that no matter how much support we put in place ie nurses psychologists and chats from doctors ect nothing seem to work even gory horror stories. i just need to get on with it but needed to vent my frustrations so thanks all for being there. plus im still having to juggle mindees, dinner and back to the hospital at some point.:(

Tatia
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Is he still in hospital or do you have a follow-up appointment?

mandy moo
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
You are right he is in denial that is because you can't see the diabetes.I have been diabetic for 11 years,and I can't quite believe I have it still.A counsellor would be good idea.

Sorry no advice to give, but can only guess what he is going thro, Im type 2 on Metformin and still dont quite belive it, it must be even more difficult for someone his age, wanting to be/eat same as his mates etc..
Hugs to you both

Carol
10-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Poor you, its tough even bringing up teenagers without health problems as well. All you can do is your best. thinking of you and sending big hugs to you, you sound as if you need them.

Good Luck

Carol xx

Hebs
10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
my son's dad is diabetic, and is also totally blind cos he never looked after himself, eyes are red cos they have filled with blood :eek:
he's only 28

hope you manage to get some help for him, good luck xx