PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journeys...how do you do yours?

Nix
09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I started off recording in chronological order...Month at top of page etc but am wondering if I would be better doing it in each 'area' eg KUW, CD etc

What do you girls do?

Thanks
Nix,x:D

miss mopple
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a folder per child, sectioned into the 6 areas. That way I make sure I am covering all areas for obs etc and nothing gets missed. Then at the back I have individual planning, parents termly feed back sheets, and summative termly assessments and areas to be worked on for the next term.

It works for me and my inspector was very impressed too :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I too have a folder divided into the 6 areas of learning. At the front I have all the contracts etc for the child, medical sheets and about me information. Then under each divided area I have observations, photos and pictures they have done.

Mollymop
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Mine include there planning, obs and art work, photos etc. I don't section them off into sections though because each observation I do cover all the areas, so I can't find a way of sectioning it.
I keep contracts lock away.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I started with the 6 areas of learning but found that my obs were covering more than one, so I now have observations in one section and the outcomes in the 6 areas. I have another section for working with other professionals too.

My photo's will be on a slide show as this will be cheaper than printing them all off.

Nix
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Gosh thanks girls...Im thinking I may be better doing mine in each area too then like you Miss Mopple I know if I'm missing anything.

I'm gonna be busy...

Any other ideas???

I do have a file for each child and have their contracts in it too...I wasn't sure that this was the best idea either!!

Nix,x

Dragonfly
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
same as mollymops
:)

Nix
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Just spent my evening writing up more obs...me and my anal thinking quite like it in chronological order...still!! BUT I also think it should be filed under each area so I know if I'm helping the child meet these goals and where the gaps are in their learning...:panic:

Oh dear. Well tomorrow's another day!!:D
Nix,x

sarah707
10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
That's exactly why mine are in the areas of learning and development!

I can spot what's not happening and focus on it when they are here with some appropriate next steps ... :D

nell57
10-02-2009, 08:00 AM
same as mollymops
:)

Mine too:)

Tups
27-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh your all to clever for me :panic: :panic: :welldone: :welldone:

Tups
27-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I think ile have to do what Arthur,s Pat is doing ?? :blush: :blush:

Tups
27-05-2009, 09:50 PM
But i love reading your post,s:clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
28-05-2009, 06:53 AM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
28-05-2009, 07:05 AM

???????? :huh:

:confused:

Miffy xx

Playmate
29-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Wish I could , I always think everybody elses ideas are better that mine and then land up overwhelmed by it all. If only there was just one format we would all know where we stood!

Miffy - Arthur's Pat is trying to get expemtion from doing EYFS, thread about it last weekend.

VickyR
03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I file mine in date order and have a chart in the folder that covers the six areas which I shade in as each child reaches that achievement. At a glance I can see where their at or an area that I have missed doing an obs on.... works for me. :clapping:

uf353432
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I have an A4 book which I record things in date order, I use stickers and photos to highlight any L&D they have covered - and it reads like a diary.

In the front of the book I have a chart which marries up with a passport the parent has completed the chart has all the L&D on there so I can scribble sentances and quick obs and the date - I can see the gaps on this and I will pass this sheet onto the school or preschool the child goes to - the diary will go to the parents.

christinajanep
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
sorry if i am being thick here, but can i ask how you have different sections for your 6 areas of learning as one ob can cover a range ?:blush:

sarah707
09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
sorry if i am being thick here, but can i ask how you have different sections for your 6 areas of learning as one ob can cover a range ?:blush:

There are 2 ways of doing it... you can either pick the main area that the observation covers, write it up and put it in OR you can link an observation to multiple areas of learning and development.

It doesn't matter which way you do it, so long as you are showing a progression of learning.

I do a mixture of both :D

christinajanep
09-06-2009, 08:48 PM
thanks sarah

miffy
09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Miffy - Arthur's Pat is trying to get expemtion from doing EYFS, thread about it last weekend.

Thank you - must have missed that! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

angeldelight
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you - must have missed that! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

How could you have missed that ?

Trying to be sexy and missing everything else ?

xxxx

miffy
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM
How could you have missed that ?

Trying to be sexy and missing everything else ?

xxxx

Stop picking on me!!!!!!

Miffy xx

angeldelight
09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Stop picking on me!!!!!!

Miffy xx

Just being honest

:laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
27-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Mine include there planning, obs and art work, photos etc. I don't section them off into sections though because each observation I do cover all the areas, so I can't find a way of sectioning it.
I keep contracts lock away.

I am just struggling with this too. How would someone looking at it know where to find the info. However, I could easily talk them through it. I'm finding it hard to separate the obs and don't want to duplicate.

As well as written obs am also doing photosheets with handwritten areas of learning on.

nannymcflea
29-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Regarding obs, if you use the EYFS disc that comes with the EYFS pack there is an obs sheet that allows space for the obs, space for what areas the obs fits into and space for the next steps...I use this as it's all set up for me and takes away the stress as I don't have to think too much!:D

If you use the disk go to "enabling enviroments"...it's in this section and it's on the right where theres things you can click on.....sorry not very clear but I haven't used the disk for ages as I have copies I now photocopy....if you can't find it let me know and I'll find it and try and give you a link.

TheBTeam
29-06-2009, 05:38 PM
My learning journeys are in date order and include post its, photos, observations using photos and writing and these are linked to the EYFS areas.

I do not separate them into the 6 l+d areas, as i think that the activities quite often cover more than one in equal measure, i do use the age and stage developmental sheets on the eyfs disk that have the achievements in age range for each of the areas, and i mark off on these using the obs to show how the child is progressing in each area and which ob shows this (colour coded marks on dev sheet link to specific obs).

From then looking at the age and stage eyfs sheet i can see where if any there is a shortcoming, i also transfer the bigger next steps to a sheet for each child so that i can monitor and narrate how we get on with them.

Planning is done as a setting, narrated with odd notes for specific children, and this is kept centrally. I put a setting plan overview on my notice board which has nothing specific to an individual.

The rest is in my head and if i wrote it all down would take the day, so it doesn't happen!

sushila09
30-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I started off recording in chronological order...Month at top of page etc but am wondering if I would be better doing it in each 'area' eg KUW, CD etc

What do you girls do?

Thanks
Nix,x:D

I want someone to guide me forward with the whole of eyfs as i dont have a clue even though i have been on the course and i spend my time giving them food snacks clearing and most of all i spend my time with their activites on daily and not forgetting picking and droping where does one get time for write ups and takeing notes on things.

sushila09:panic: :panic: :panic:

gigglinggoblin
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I am feeling overwhelmed reading this thread, how can they expect childminders to do all this? This is more like teaching without the training. I was quite confident to start but its al a bit much isnt it

sarah707
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I am feeling overwhelmed reading this thread, how can they expect childminders to do all this? This is more like teaching without the training. I was quite confident to start but its al a bit much isnt it

Please don't feel like that...!

The key is to find a way you are happy with and follow that.

You do observations every day anyway - it's how you work.

You just need to write them down and maybe add a photo and some brief notes saying how you will support the child's next steps...

If you put it all in a scrap book and include comments from the child's parents, you can show Ofsted that you are doing the right things.

Hth :D

Tink
21-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Sorry for sounding stupid, but if I split the journal into the 6 areas of learning how do you link your observations to next steps.
At nursery we only had development records tick charts and obs but no learning journey so it's all new to me, i'm sure it will all come once I get started.

I've got a child starting next week so just want to have everything ready.

STEPZ5678
01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi All

I am just totally confused and it seems the more I think the more lost I am getting here, I cover quite a lot or activities during my day but I cannot for the life of me think how I link these to all the areas of learning i.e. PD ( THATS EASY ONE ) CLL PSRN ETC ETC.

Has anyone got anything simplified that I could have a look at that would stop me thinking amd creating unnecessary work. Obs. well I observe but am never sure if I am supposed to concentrate on one area of development or in general.

Any advice and like children I work better with examples..sorry lol

mum2two
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Gosh thanks girls...Im thinking I may be better doing mine in each area too then like you Miss Mopple I know if I'm missing anything.

Nix,x

I must say, Miss Mopple's is very good! :thumbsup: It's now how I do mine, and it's easy to do & update.

xx

miss mopple
01-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Aww bless ya K :blush:

SandCastles
08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I file mine in date order and have a chart in the folder that covers the six areas which I shade in as each child reaches that achievement. At a glance I can see where their at or an area that I have missed doing an obs on.... works for me. :clapping:

Same for me ! it is working really well and Ofsted was impressed, I shade in each area to show which area they are working in at the moment.

mama2three
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
just starting out but i plan (so far ) to do it in date order , on the bottom of the ob put areas and points covered. then on my 6 areas file i will mark off and refer to which ob date so we can cross check , and look at next steps. or am i getting myself all **** about face here? Thank heavens for you experienced lot!

Tink
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Does it matter if it's in a folder or scrap book, i just think photos and work would look better in a scrap book rather than in a folder in plastic wallets, what do you guys think?

sarah707
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Does it matter if it's in a folder or scrap book, i just think photos and work would look better in a scrap book rather than in a folder in plastic wallets, what do you guys think?

It doesn't matter how you set them out!

Just think what you, if it was your child's learning journey, would like to receive :D