PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive in the snow

Clever Clogs
09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Hiya

Just wondered if anyone stops driving when we have so much snow? I have a bit of a dilemm. I pick a little boy up 3 days of the week and drop him off. I really don't feel safe driving in the snow - even worse if I know I have kids in which case I have 3 under 2 these 3 days. Last time we had snow I was sliding over the street before I even got out onto main roads so phone the mum to explain and don't think she was quite happy about it but understood. anyway today it's really bad here again and swithering whether to go get him or not. I know the main roads prob be not too bad - but it's the streets that are scary. Don't want to phone to cancel and it's just a cop out but then again feel it's risky with wee babes in the car. Not looking for an answer - I know I've got to do that myself, just again want to see what others do.

Thanks
Tracey

jacky
09-02-2009, 09:19 AM
last week we felt that we were not happy driving in the snow. we go and collect a child at 6am my dp went out and checked the road and said no way was he driving in it. we phoned the parents and said very soory but not prepared to put ourselves at risk and would not be driving. we are still working so if you want to bring child latter then thats ok. we also daid to other parents that we would not be prepared to drive to preschools but would happily keep children with us. all of which were ok and no one quibbled at all. since then i have implemnted a bad weather policy

wellybelly
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
You have to think of the needs of every child: I normally collect and drop off and I contacted all parents to say you'll have to bring and collect them as Its not worth the risk. I risk assessed the snow situation and thought no way! Parents were not happy but this snow is extreme and doesnt count for every working day in the year.
I live on a steep hill and our road goes onto another steep hill, its impossible to drive in it. Its a like it or lump it situation for parents.

huggableshelly
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
if you are not confident to drive in the snow then do not do it.

I told all my parents on thursday that I would not be driving on friday and do not intend to walk the 40 mins to school, if they want their children to attend school they must make alternative arrangements.

The school was closed which solved the issue of parents trying to make arrangments but there was noway I was going to put 6 kiddies and myself in a car knowing i lacked the confidence to do the drive.

Today I drove half way to school leaving my car on a main road then walked the rest due to the icy side roads.

SAFETY FIRST AT ALL TIMES.

chels55
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I refuse to drive in the snow, if school is closed i offer to have them for the day but tell them im not willing to drive or walk them to school with the lo's in the buggy. not worth the risk

FizzysFriends
09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I personally do drive in the snow (although used it as an excuse to stay home all day Friday). I went out in the car everyday last week and don't have a problem with it. But if you aren't confident doing it then its safer to stay home.

ajs
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
no

i came off the road once too many times when the kids went to school in rural northumberland now i just don't risk it all

Clever Clogs
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Hiya

Thanks for all your support. Ended up phoning mum to say and she was fine about it, said she was just about to phone me anyway. She says she understands so that helps.

Just not worth the risk is it - not only a risk sliding in the snow but it's other drivers you need to watch out for too. My friend was coming out the street last week and just couldn't stop - ended up going into another car - she only passed her test a month ago and bought first car last week too - such a shame.

Thanks anyway
Tracey

rickysmiths
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
My car didn't leave the drive for five days. :eek: I live at the top of a steep hill. dh tried to get to work one morning and ended up leaving the car and walking home.

I will not regularly collect or deliver children home, when you have a family of your own anything can happen and I wouldn't want the responsiblity and I wouldn't want to feel I had let people down,
I do help out in difficult cicumstances though, I went and met a mum at her school this morning because she had had a terrible journey out of her village to the main roads and was running late and it saved her driving to me and back to the school.:) :)

littlesprogs
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I personally dont but only because i'm a new driver and still not very confident in normal weather lol.

However my husband does we used to live in scotland and he got used to driving in snow particularly through aviemore one year when it was really bad he had no choice he had to get to work (RAF). driving in the snow in england is nothing compared to what he had to drive through up there!

LOOPYLISA
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Hate driving in the snow would if i really had to though, hubby was home on the days we had heavy snow so he done the school run with dd :clapping: , they come in handy sometimes x :D

Chimps Childminding
09-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't drive in the snow or ice. I usually take my 3 boys to school, but this last week i have been sending them on the bus (even though I have to pay for 2 of them) as I hate driving in snow and ice anyway, but refuse to take chances when I have other people's children in the car, I would rather pay for the bus!