PDA

View Full Version : Teaching children about keeping safe - child protection

Clever Clogs
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi all

I am doing my SVQ level 3 and on the child protection unit. It asks how we incorporate teaching children in our setting about their bodies, how to be aware of them and how we can help them stay safe. Says it may include the use of appropriate descriptive language. Do childminders do this? I'm not sure how comfy I would feel bringing this up? I had thought of just leavign some leaflets out and if the children brought them up then fine - but how do I introudce this into the conversation. I've got little ones that are too wee and the others are 5, 6, 7, 13.

Just wondered what other childminders done about this.

Thanks
Tracey

huggableshelly
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I would approach this with stranger danger colouring in pictures and posters and bring in the fact that if anyone talks to them or touches them who they do not know then to tell a grown up asap.

Then talk about if someone touches them or hugs them too tight and it hurts they must tell them to stop and tell another grown up.

Talking about bodies keep it simple get them to make faces in the mirror, how many arms legs etc make a mini me, how do they keep clean? talk about the bath and shower and what they use to dry themselves.

no need to directly discuss the subject you do not want to cover I'm sure others will be in with more ideas and help for you.

i hope my suggestions are of some use to you.

Shelly

sarah707
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't think parents would be very happy if we started openly talking about child protection as such.

The best way to tackle it is to respond to children's questions and interest with honesty... and give every child the right to say no.

Clever Clogs
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks

Not a really nice subject at all - am hating doing this part of the course but thanks for the suggestions.

Tracey

Heaven Scent
09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Then talk about if someone touches them or hugs them too tight and it hurts they must tell them to stop and tell another grown up.

This is a good place to start because they often do this to each other in play - I wouldn't harp on too much about stranger danger - we don't want to frighten them but we do need to make them aware of dangers - I have had the police come in to visit nurser children and they do tell them that if someone does grab hold of them when they are out then they can kick them in the leg and bite their hands if they can. They also told them to shout and scream. They told them that if they are out playing and somone asked them to come and look at their bunnies or puppies in their house or in their car or something then they were to say can my mummy come too she likes them as well. This may sound scarey but it was done really well there is a book that the police issue called 'just say NO' They also give out badges etc.

They also told them to lie about where they lived if they were out with or without mum (if they became separated) and to pretend to live very close.

The police said that if someone did something to them that they didn't like they were NO in a very firm voice. This is also the advice I was told to give to children when on my various child protection/safeguarding courses.